Hasegawa 1/72 F-16CCV

While we're waiting for the GO signal, here are my previous F-16s - in approximate order that I completed them.

First the Revell 1/72 prototype model - from about 1978ish.

Revell_F-16proto.jpg

Next a Matchbox 1/72 Thunderbird. This one has acrylic paint - that has reacted with the decals.

Matchbox_F-16Thunderbird.jpg

Airfix 1/72 Single Seater.

Airfix_F16.jpg

Matchbox 1/72 Dutch Tiger two-seater.

Matchbox_F-16B_Tiger.jpg

And the real prize - Monogram 1/72 F-16XL Cranked Arrow.

Monogram_F-16XL.jpg

Now for 48th the Hasegawa Thunderbird

Hasegawa_F-16Thunderbird.jpg

I've also got a Tamiya 1/48th Wild Weasel in the loft - that's next been photoed.

Back to the CCV - this website http://www.f-16.net/aircraft-database/F-16...rame-profile/1/

shows the history of 01567, and a LOT of other F-16 research - sufficient for any enthusiast.

The CCV was developed to enable the plane to fly in one direction, whilst pointing in another.

Sounds great, and I remember seeing some small images of it doing just that.

That representation didn't really look so great - maybe I didn't fully appreciate what I was seeing.

I seem to remember that another control was added in the cockpit to direct the vanes.

It appears that 01567 was damaged twice in landing accidents, the latest terminating the CCV program in 1977.

I did read somewhere that 3D thrust vectoring offered greater performance advantages.

The 01567 airframe was restored to original condition, and is now preserved at Hampton Roads, Virginia.

Edited by theplasticsurgeon

I assembled the main components of the airframe last night.

That tube into the exhaust to hold whilst painting is actually a damaged arrow - my other hobby is archery.

F16Hull.jpg

I've brush painted it the thinned white acrylic paint, and it doesn't look very different at the moment.

... while I am still working on bits and pieces inside the fuselage ...

You will have this finished in record time. With this speed yoy should be able to finish a handful more before the deadline.

Nils

... while I am still working on bits and pieces inside the fuselage ...

You will have this finished in record time. With this speed yoy should be able to finish a handful more before the deadline.

Nils

Alas I don't have a handful more in my stash.

This will be an undercarriage model. Also nose-probe, exhaust, missiles and CC vanes are missing. At least another week's work.

Anyway this CCV didn't entirely live upto its potential - and alternative technologies emerged.

As we know the F-16 was the first aircraft with a fully fly by wire control system.

This is how I imagine the CCV should work.

Added vanes under the intake are largely unused, and only activated when the weapon aiming system is activated.

THEN the vanes add automated precision to direct and hold the gun onto the target.

This build is in zone5 burner. Ive removed the arrow and installed the jet nozzle.

F16Undercarriage002.jpg

Also the gear and the nose-probe.

F16Undercarriage001.jpg

Undercarriage doors need some touching up - probably later this afternoon.

Edited by theplasticsurgeon