HGW Wood decals

andy wood

Hello all fellow BM'rs

I have recently been using the new wood decal sheets from HGW on my WnW FE2b, and I thought I would share my experiences with you. First of all they are very thin so be very careful when handling them. For the transparent decals I would go over them with some liquid decal film as the images are extremley fragile.

The decal releases from the backing paper almost straight away but I would give it a few seconds to be sure that every last portion is free as the decal tears so easily. There is no need to use microset on them. They react well to mircosol (prehaps a little too well). Once you place your decal on the kit, dabing it with a brush loaded with microsol makes it akin to applying gold leaf-it's that quick! Heck, I would almost go as far to say as it is like I am painting on the woodgrain. I only have microsol but if you have anything a little more forgiving I would suggest you use that. The microsol did cause one or two small holes in places (not many) but these are easily repaired with paint and coloured pencils.

I have to say the overall effect is fantastic and I will certainly be using more of these in the future. Even the resulting sheen is spot on for varnished wood.

Hope that helps

Hello all fellow BM'rs

I have recently been using the new wood decal sheets from HGW on my WnW FE2b . . . is free as the decal tears so easily. , ,I have to say the overall effect is fantastic and I will certainly be using more of these in the future. Even the resulting sheen is spot on for varnished wood.

Hope that helps

As I caution you need to clear coat them twice and let dry befor use. That eliminates the tearing.

As I caution you need to clear coat them twice and let dry befor use. That eliminates the tearing.

Would that make them a little more resistant to microsol?

Would that make them a little more resistant to microsol?

I find that if you use the overcoated decal within 16-20

hours of spraying the top coats they work very well. Micro Sol tends to

soften the decal. If the lacquer top coat is not fully cured it works like a

charm. B)