Revell 1/144 F-14A Tomcat VF-84

Hey everyone and looking forward to this Tomcat-fest! While I'm a 1/72 scale fan, after much deliberation I've gone with Revell's teeny 1/144 F-14A

IMG_1490.jpg

What you get

IMG_1491.jpg

Nice detail for the size :P

IMG_1495.jpg

IMG_1496.jpg

Decals by the good people at DACO

IMG_1492.jpg

Will be going for this scheme

IMG_1497.jpg

Hope you all enjoy your builds Tomcatters! B)

Best wishes,

Dermot

Edited by Dermo245

Hi Dermot,

Welcome to the small side! :clap2:

It's good to see another 1:144 military aircraft being built here. :)

Look forward to seeing your progress

cheers

Mike

Hey everyone and here's where I am with this little 'kitty...

Last night, gave all three sprues a shot of Halfords White plastic primer. It's lovely stuff...

F-14GBWIP001.jpg

Then started some detail painting (all brush, no airbrush!) Did the cockpit tub, seats and twin tails. I also painted up the wings and will finish them fully, before sandwiching between the top and bottom halves (a fellow modeller approached it this way when he built this kit so thought I would give it a try). I use Revell Aqua Colour acrylics so went for Stone Grey overall - seems to be the closest match I have to Gull Gray.. :hmmm:

F-14GBWIP002.jpg

I'm normally a 1/72 man myself and have BIG respect for those who work in this (and smaller) scales - the main gear wheels on this F-14 are roughly the same size as the nose gear set on a 1/72 kit!

Will try to finish the cockpit tonight (including the tiny decals) and post some better pictures.

Thanks for reading Tomcatters and enjoy your builds!

Shamrock out.

Here's the latest on my 'Cat, which I'm really enjoying but feck, do my eyes hurt! :P

Some pics of progress, with 1 cent coin for reference. I added the cockpit decals - they hugged down soon after I took this.

F-14GBWIP003s.jpg

Painted up the bang seats and added some belts which are probably massive in this scale but the thinnest I could cut :lol: Decided not to even think about making ejection seat rings in this scale...

F-14GBWIP004.jpg

Cockpit goes together ok, just needed careful fitting of the instrument panels to allow the cockpit sides to close

F-14GBWIP005.jpg

Will get the wings on tomorrow night and close up the fuselage.

Thanks for reading and hope you enjoy your builds!

Cheers,

Shamrock

Edited by Dermo245

Just a quick update on this one. I'm enjoying this GB so much, I even changed my avatar!

Wings on, fuselage and cockpit joined up. Wings work too!

First we go slow...

F-14GBWIP007.jpg

Now faster....

F-14GBWIP006.jpg

I'm sure some of you might be thinking...."Shamrock has invented a new F-14 two tone scheme", like that black & white juice he likes..:drink:

It's just that I decided not to do the cut-out-the-wing-notch-for-easier-painting-trick and instead, painted and Futured the wings because they have hard to reach parts when installed.

But what am I saying? This is Tomcat central - you all knew that!

Thanks for looking.

Shamrock out.

Edited by Dermo245

Hi,

Been following the thread and it's coming in really well, so much so that I've a 1/144 revell kit on order and if I can find the time I might enter it into the GB. Plan A would be to build OOB, plan B would be to try a catshot diorama. I think the key to that would be to get the flaps & slats separated and deployed, from your experience is there any chance of doing that with the kit?

Thanks

Hi,

Been following the thread and it's coming in really well, so much so that I've a 1/144 revell kit on order and if I can find the time I might enter it into the GB. Plan A would be to build OOB, plan B would be to try a catshot diorama. I think the key to that would be to get the flaps & slats separated and deployed, from your experience is there any chance of doing that with the kit?

Thanks

Neal

I have one of these on the go at the moment for the GB. Re. deploying flaps and slats not something I'd consider trying with my skills as the wings are only a few mm thick tapering to a knifedge on the trailing edge.

Robert

Neal

I have one of these on the go at the moment for the GB. Re. deploying flaps and slats not something I'd consider trying with my skills as the wings are only a few mm thick tapering to a knifedge on the trailing edge.

Robert

I'd agree with that too....not something my hands could manage! For some reason I think somebody once made an aftermarket slats/flaps in this scale but it might be lonnng out of production? Those more knowledgeable around here might know more...

Will post an update later tonight.

Cheers,

Shamrock

Dropping the flaps might be feasible, dropping the slats in thi scale would not be easy. If any of you guys will attempt this, he'll get my admiration !

In case anyone wants to try, I suggest to replace the slats with metal sheet formed against the leading edge, using the original plastic would be impossibile.

I know someone who dropped the flaps and slats by simply scoring along the hinge line and bending the plastic. Not 100% accurate I know but it looked pretty good in 1/144 scale. I'll try and get a picture.

Antony

http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/Gal1...-14-Dix/00.shtm

Hi, not sure if this link has worked properly, but this is my 1/144 tomcat with dropped flaps and slats (as above)

Cheers

Tim

Neal

Robert

Thanks for the help & advice. I've found this:

http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/Gal1...4-Ikeda/00.shtm

Looks great but may be beyond me, I'll have another think when my kit arrives.

Sorry for highjacking your build thread a bit.