Looking for a book about Bomber that needs to IFR, with 10 mins left until its skosh

Jon Kunac-Tabinor

Hi guys - heres the gen. My Aunty got up very early one day last week ( just had a cataract op, so she was awoken by an itchy eye!!)

Anyway its about 1 or 2 in the early hours, and she puts the radio on - and hears the end of a book review about said incident - the bomber has to refuel in flight, as it only has 10 mins of go juice left, but they can't find the tanker.

My Aunty cant remember if the review was of a fictional book or a historical account, but she said it sounded very gripping, and wouldn't mind reading the book. she thinks she heard mention of a Vulcan - so perhaps its a Black Buck ops book?

So if anyone has any ideas that would be great.

Cheers

JonKT

Jon, that could well be Vulcan 607, as IIRC on the way back BB1 was looking for the Victor which had been sent out specially to get em home, or it could be about the other BB Mission that had a "Holiday in Rio" coz the refuel probe snapped.

HTH

Bexy

Spot on Jon, if youve not read it, go get it, I couldnt put it down, excellent book. Oh and its all about Vulcans :worthy::pilot:

Bex

A big thanks to you all. Looks like Aunty Muriel is going to be all Black Bucked up for a while. That doesn't particularly sound very correct for my aged aunt, but I'm sure she'll enjoy it :)

:thumbsup: to you all

Jon KT

Cheeky time, if she pays for it, u pinch it after shes read it :wicked:

Bexy

Bex - its for my aunt - its a prezzy - how could you??????

I'll read it BEFORE I wrap it, of course. :wicked:

Jon Von bookknapper

:)

Jon,

Well I was close, just make sure you read it, you wont wanna put it down :evil_laugh:

Bexy

Hi JonKT

Vulcan in question was XM597 it broke off its RF probe on 3rd June 82 during a scheduled hook up.

Either through wind shear or whatever the probe boke offand the a/c windscreen was 'showered in fuel for a few moments till the Victor Tanker stopped delivery.

The nearest place to land with fuel left on board was Galeao Airport at Rio in Brazil.

It had 2 unused shrikes on board and after trying to jettison them off 1 hung up and was still in place when it landed.

It made a sucessful and by all accounts spectacular landing and once stopped was 'impounded' for the duration.

A/C finally flew back to Ascension on 10 June 82 where a new rf probe was fitted.

A/C got a Brazil flag zap and 2 shrike kill mks on its rtn to the UK.

Adrian

Spot on Jon, if youve not read it, go get it, I couldnt put it down, excellent book. Oh and its all about Vulcans :worthy::pilot:

Bex

Errr - and Victors. Don't forget them, the Vulcans couldn't have done anything without the big gasbags!!! :P

Keef