Airfix Spitfire Mk.XVI

Mark

Hi all, I saw a recent advert for the Airfix Modellers Club and just for joining you get a free Mk.XVI Spitfire kit. Is this the rumoured second fuselage of their Mk.IX kit? I saw that nick Wigman did a great job of converting the Hase Mk.IX with the Aeroclub fuselage. So what's the best way to do a Mk.XVI?

:ditto:

As Jen says!

Repeat after me.....I.....C.....M :lol:

Just needs a bit of care in building and a set of Ultracast wheels, and possibly a prop and spinner if you are that way inclined. Doing a (slow...) detailed build of one and really enjoying it!

P.R. Spits next...

Christian

Well, that's what I thought until..... Click Me

Not 100% sure of the point you're making mate. All I'll say is this, none of the Airfix MkIX type Spitfires can hold a candle to the ICM kit in any way, shape or form. There are those that might argue that they're better shaped in some areas, but for me the higher price, thick wings and trailing edges, poor fit, poor decals and general lesser quality leave me cold.

There are also those that say that the ICM kit is hard to build, not so in my experience :shrug:

Jen.

Not 100% sure of the point you're making mate. All I'll say is this, none of the Airfix MkIX type Spitfires can hold a candle to the ICM kit in any way, shape or form. There are those that might argue that they're better shaped in some areas, but for me the higher price, thick wings and trailing edges, poor fit, poor decals and general lesser quality leave me cold.

There are also those that say that the ICM kit is hard to build, not so in my experience :shrug:

Jen.

Aaaah, I see what you mean now. I thoughht that you meant that the Airfix was a re-boxing of the ICM one. OK, now I understand.... :thumbsup:

Yet again,

:ditto:

Jen.

I'd say it is an involved build, but not difficult, just needing a bit of thought and good old modeling skills!

Christian

Thanks to you both! I'm starting a project this year that needs every mark of Spit and Seafire in as close as is possible to an accurate representation. I've read that the ICM is the most accurate in terms of dimensions. As for difficulty of build, well, I'll give anything a go!!

If you are interested I'd happily share my improvement list with you for this bird. Just drop me a line!

At the mo' I'm contemplating a run of PR Spitfires and Seafires. As for how many I have no idea as I keep looking at all the fun schemes and rapidly run out of fingers, toes and nose! All this from someone who was 'Spitfire neutral' at best!!

Christian