Looking for a Spitfire book by Lettice Curtis...

Red Arrow Jag

Has anyone heard of the book 'Forty Years On, A Spitfire Flies Again' It was written by Lettice Curtis and documents the history of Supermarine Spitfire Mkxi PL983 (who flew this particular Spitfire at one time)

Is it any good? I am wondering where I could get a copy of it, I have tried many book shops around the UK but so far no luck.

does anyone know anything about this particular spitfire..

• 2 months later...
Has anyone heard of the book 'Forty Years On, A Spitfire Flies Again' It was written by Lettice Curtis and documents the history of Supermarine Spitfire Mkxi PL983 (who flew this particular Spitfire at one time)

Is it any good? I am wondering where I could get a copy of it, I have tried many book shops around the UK but so far no luck.

Nelson & Saunders Classic Motoring Steam and Aviation Publishers 1985

ISBN 0 947750 04 5

Printed by Clifford Frost Ltd London

Its a soft jacket book printed in landscape deals mainly with the restoration I got a copy in 85 because a freind was involved with rebuild.

Regards,John

• 1 month later...

Spitfire PL983

In short it spent quite a long time at Old Warden, went to be rebuilt at Duxford (as the collections Spitfire V and Sea Hurricane did), was sold, ended up with Warbirds of Great Britain (eventually in storage as most of the collection was), re-appeared at North Weald (IIRC) in the late 90s with a few other interesting types, re-flew in 2000 and tragically crashed fatally (and some may say criminally, but don't expect the French to prosecute their own) in Rouen jalmost exactly a year later.

Under rebuild to fly again now.