new RAF Merlin markings - pics

paul_c

here some pics i took in work this morning of mk3 ZJ118. its just come out of the paint shop before it gos back into depth (hence the completely stripped state!). the new 78sqn markings are applied to the port side of the a/c only, the other side will retain the 28sqn markings. this is due to the aircraft (both 3's and 3a's) being 'pooled' between the two squadrons. this a/c obviously dosn't have a tail pylon but the 78sqn crest will again, be only applied to the port side of the tail. the tail crest is identical in style and size to the crests as seen on the old grey 78sqn Sea Kings (black disc with yellow griffen) but the nose crest seems to be toned down somewhat.

this a/c also has the new RAF 'corporate' titling applied to the tail and nose.

hope these pics are helpful

STA70648.jpg

STA70647.jpg

STA70650.jpg

STA70653.jpg

That new RAF corporate titling - looks very much like the title from the RAF yearbook -circa 1978.

Personally - I'm not exactly sure why we have to have Royal Air Force on the side of our machines - doesn't a blue and red roundel do that job?

And if its to prevent "blue on blue" losses, then the letters should be in bright white and cover the whole airframe, with an added " Oi Tom Cruise, we are on your side" - oh and we should modify our roundels to be more 5-pointed-star-with-bar like. :wicked:

Professionally speaking - as someone who works in the design and print industry - the styling of that titling sucks - those false italics are amateurish, and the kerning ( thats letter spacing) is unrefined. It does nothing to suggest the history and professionalism of the worlds oldest independent air arm , and neither does it look like a bold and vital statement of our intents in the new century.

I hope that the design process for this new titling has not cost anymore than £80 ex vat. Thats what my company would charge for an hours worth of initial ideas, which we would then refine and turn into a more 'finished' design.

I imagine my costing is out by a few noughts :thumbsdown:

cheers

JonKT

PS we get Merlins over us all the time - they are flying out of Dalton barracks ( ex RAF Abingdon), so i see them quite a bit: But the best bit is when we get them do low passes over the A34 on the way in, or when the Apaches are hovering over the barracks - looks like they are doing "chuck norris" traffic control on the ever crowded A34!!

I left the Air Force a year ago.

I for one was getting pretty sick of the corporate fixation the top brass had. to me It smacked of inferiority complex. Re: the media calling RAF Rotary Army. We were even issued blue Bergen's with the s***e hawk embroidered in gold on the top pocket.

Personally for me I didn't need reminding that I was part of Her Majesty's Air Force.

The Logo is awful, cheap and tacky even the reds hawks are emblazoned with it.

If it don't move zap it.

Rant over.

Personally - I'm not exactly sure why we have to have Royal Air Force on the side of our machines - doesn't a blue and red roundel do that job?

apparently its to stop the press calling our aircraft 'Army' helicopters.......

Interesting in that 78 will have mixed MK's of a/c. You know if '118 is having anything up-dated on its airframe? Thanks for photo's by the way!

Dave

nothing i know of mate. probably just the Bowman mod but thats all internal. MASU are doing a lot of work on the airframe at the mo. the good old cracked centre firewall raises it's head again!

That new RAF corporate titling - looks very much like the title from the RAF yearbook -circa 1978.

Professionally speaking - as someone who works in the design and print industry - the styling of that titling sucks - those false italics are amateurish, and the kerning ( thats letter spacing) is unrefined. It does nothing to suggest the history and professionalism of the worlds oldest independent air arm , and neither does it look like a bold and vital statement of our intents in the new century.

Couldn't agree more!

As a former graphic artist, I didn't analyse it further than the fact that they are using the VERY dated Avant Garde font (or some derivation therof) which just screams 70s. You couldn't make it look contemporary even if you hung the "retro" adjective on it.

Unless you're going out of your way to make a full piece of design look like it came from the 70s, that font has no place in current design work.

Mind you, from all I read and hear, those who call the shots in the RAF ( and MoD in general) have a thinking process that was last somewhat meaningful in the 70s.

Is it me being an ex bottle blonde, or does it look like the local pikeys have pinched a few bits off this one?

Gread fotos though :worthy:

Bex von MyJokesAreGettinReallyBadTonight

Is it me being an ex bottle blonde, or does it look like the local pikeys have pinched a few bits off this one?

Gread fotos though :worthy:

Bex von MyJokesAreGettinReallyBadTonight

yeah, Helston is a bit dodgy Bex......

That sounds like a very polite way of saying the new design is poo-poo, couldn't agree more.

peebeep

nothing i know of mate. probably just the Bowman mod but thats all internal. MASU are doing a lot of work on the airframe at the mo. the good old cracked centre firewall raises it's head again!

Westlands are looking at fitting tail folds atlast to the MK3 fleet by the way to!

Dave

get used to it, ive seen pics of Tristars with the new logos aswell......

Don't think I've seen the new logos on the Tristars. Got any piccies of it?

I agree with the majority in saying that the new titles look absolutely awful, but it's something that we're only going to see more of.

I don't mind the Koninkluke Luchtmacht titles on the choppers, it's quite neat and tidy - now why can't we have something more like that?

apparently its to stop the press calling our aircraft 'Army' helicopters.......

Oh yeah cos that'll work.... :doh:

As for the font, I kinda like it - but then I like 70s RAF the best anyway :shrug:

The corporate font/logo is appearing on all sorts of things - Tucanos, Hawks, TriStars, VC-10s... I can't say I'm a fan either. The font that's been in use for serials since some time after WWII looks fine and the big 'R O Y A L A I R F O R C E' titling on the fuselage of transport types always looked a hell of a lot classier.