Supermarine Swift Record Breaker

Paul Bradley

I would like to build a model of the Swift WK198, the speed record breaker. Does anyone have some photos of this a/c, and does anyone know what colour scheme she wore for the record attempt?

WK198 wore an overall light blue scheme. Some photos indicate it had a dark nose for the record attempt, but when this photo was taken hasn't been confirmed:

swiftLibya.jpg

WK198 wore an overall light blue scheme. Some photos indicate it had a dark nose for the record attempt, but when this photo was taken hasn't been confirmed:

swiftLibya.jpg

That nose looks unusual! I have a pic that proports to show WK198 being refuelled for it's record breaking run, no dark nose.

Larkspur is a type of Delphinium, which is a brilliant blue colour - bit too brilliant for the Swift I would have thought.

Thanks all. More pictures would be helpful - anyone have any old RAF Flying Reviews for 1953-4?

Is this blue anything like Petter Blue? Or perhaps we're edging towards Cornflower Blue?

Interestingly, Chevy had a Larkspur Blue in its colour line-up for the mid-fifties.....

I'd guess some sort of Sky Blue would be a safe bet.

Haven't we gone all soft and pastel.......? :winkgrin: