Hawker Seahawk FGA Mk.6 (Trumpeter 1:48)

Mike

Hello Mike

Cool Sea Hawk, the trumpy kit looks every bit of the real thing ...

And for the EDSG, well your rendition looks the part, too

Me like, and for once preshading is working fine.

Keep it comin'

Stef (#6) :elephant:

Oh dear.... :unsure:

A couple of days ago I applied the Suez invasion stripes to the top of the fuselage of my Seahawk, and tonight I applied the bottom half. The angles of the stripes were so far out of line that I removed the decal straight away & chucked it in the bin.

That left me with the thorny issue of removing the topside decal. Well, I tried soaking it in warm water for a few hours, and it hadn't budged one bit... I tried Microsol, and that only made the decal "rubbery", but not actually wrinkle up & come away. My attempts at lifting a corner her & there were marring the paint, and I got to the point when I thought "f*** it!", and scraped the decal & all of the paint off with my thumbnail, chasing the remnants out of the panel lines with a sharp cocktail stick. Did I throw it in the bin? Did I buggery! :wicked: My Seahawk will survive to fight another day! :king:

Just before I closed up the workshop for the night I sanded down the surface where the paint was now missing, and feathered the edges in ready for masking & repainting. I'll have to re-do some of the sky as well as the MSG, but it's not a big deal. The downside is that I can't use the rest of the kit decals now, as I don't have many stripes left, and have no inclination to mask & paint them by hand. What I plan on doing is using the Ark Royal Airwing decals I bought off eBay recently, and convert her to a 'plane from my favorite carrier. :wub:

The only problem there is that this aircraft was in service on the Ark in 1957, so that takes me out of the timeframe of the GB. Does anyone mind me continuing to participate, or should I get my sack-cloth & ashes, move my thread & continue alone? :unsure:

Just get on with it lad, I for one want to see you finish this kit as you've done a cracking job so far and don't mind if she's a couple years out. Besides, for all you know she could have still been wearing those colours in 1960 :winkgrin:

Just get on with it lad, I for one want to see you finish this kit as you've done a cracking job so far and don't mind if she's a couple years out. Besides, for all you know she could have still been wearing those colours in 1960 :winkgrin:

Coulda... I'll post up some pics of the damage tonight. It's odd, but I get a perverse satisfaction from repairing damaged kits :wicked:

Hello,

uh, bad weather for that decals;

But please, go on and stay in the GB, I guess a a two year lapse won't hurt (not me anyway).

OTOH painting the stripes won't be that hard, except for the fuselage : surfaces are very tormented, so .... I guess decals would be a pain in the a** to fix here, either

As for restoring damaged birds, that's the story of my modeling life : for instance, I will have to rebuild my 1/32 I-16, which was cat-striken two weeks ago !

Kitty, Kitty ! (now, where the hell did I put that shot gun !?)

Cheers

Stef (#6)

Well, for better of worse, I've completed the repairs, and I'm fairly satisfied with the results. I forgot to take a pic of the nekkid band of plastic showing through the paint, but once the decals are on (again), you'll not notice the damage, I expect.

Here she is after a coat of Klear:

repairs1.jpg

Next job is to apply some Ark Royal decals :D

Thanks Anthony - it's not quite flawless :blush: but considering the mess it was in the other night, I'm pleased to say it'll pass muster. :D

I hate to say I told you so about those decals. But.

I TOLD YOU SO!

:evil_laugh:

Still it turned out ok in the end. Its coming along quicker than the Bucc and looking good to boot.

Looking good Mike , the more I see this the more I want to build one

Do it mate... it's not a bad kit, but does have some rough edges, and you really have to be careful with that front/rear fuselage joint. Other than that, she's pretty easy to build :)

SeaHawk4.jpg

SeaHawk-1.jpg

This was my attempt.........unfortunatly it came out a bit green in the photo's . I went for the later colour scheme but what surprised me was the green/blue ness of the early underside, its easy to think, oh year well Tamiya sky will do it but if you look in the Cobham collection at the FAA there is an original paint job there and its made me have to re-think FAA colours.

I found the trumpet kit very good. One bit of advice i would give is to assemble the lower half of the fuselage to the lower mid section to get the exhaust/ tail pipes lined up before you fit the upper sections. I also think that "RoyalNavy" and the serial No. should be in white !!

DSCF0476.jpg

PS............dont forget to add half a ton of lead to the nose, i did and am using the arrestor hook to keep her on the flat :shithappens:

Edited by Paddy

I've filled mine with lead shot, so hopefully she'll stand on her own three wheels, but that's a useful tip in case she doesn't.

I tried to find a way to add the jetpipes after I'd assembled the fuselage & painted it, but because they curve so much, it was pretty much impossible, so I did what you did & added all the parts to the bottom of the fuselage, fairing things in before adding the jetpipes. The intakes need a bit of work too, as they have some nasty square ejector marks running down the face of some of the fins. I made a small tool from a coffee stirrer, which I glued a small square of wet'n'dry to, just the right width to do the job. Then I added some Milliput to the bottom join with the fuselage, which I sculpted as far as possible while wet, to reduce the amount of sanding later. The join between the fins & the upper fuselage is a nice tight butt-joint, so I didn't need to repeat the process twice :D

That's looking very cool :sick: , Mike. Not to mention sweet :sick: .

How did the transfers behave? I bought them at the Salisbury show and thought they looked awesome :puke: . You beat me to the flying fish one!

Need to do a Buccaneer S1 in white - scary prospect that - but with all the wonderful models others have made from the old Afx kit, it can't be that hard can it? (cue cynical laughter stage left) especially with the new intakes coming from Heritage and we're all ready for Trumpeters Scimitar and Gannet, not to mention the MPM/Speshhob (can't recall whose doing that) lady fox. Enough stuff on that sheet to keep me going for a year's modeling!

Rockets need to have green heads, I think. Black bodies? not sure.

What do the the engraved squares in front of the windscreen represent? Can't seem to work that out.

Looking forward to the finished article, after you've redecorated Edgar's flat, of course :)

Here's a pic of the main airframe washed with some of Phil's wash & sealed with a coat of Klear. I really do love his washes (just put another order in for the black & dark grey), as they make the job so damn easy! smile.png

airframe3.jpg

Took this outside with my posh camera, which is probably why it's a bit dark... I still don't have a clue how to use it! doh.gifdunce.gif

• 5 months later...
Here's a pic of the main airframe washed with some of Phil's wash & sealed with a coat of Klear. I really do love his washes (just put another order in for the black & dark grey), as they make the job so damn easy! :)

airframe3.jpg

Took this outside with my posh camera, which is probably why it's a bit dark... I still don't have a clue how to use it! :doh::dunce:

Looks very nice, anyway. Seahawk...arrrrgh, matey's!