Just a qucik Blenheim question

HP42

Hi all,

Just a quick question. I'm part way through building an Airfix Blenheim. I'd rather do a bomber than a fighter variant. If I use the decals supplied I'll be doing V5735 which was fitted with the ventral gun pack. Would I be correct in thinking that this aircraft had the gun pack fitted later on in its career and originally it would have had either the twin rearwards facing maching guns in the underslung nose turret or nothing at all? Presumably this aircraft was orginally a bomber but was given the ventral pack to turn it into a fighter?

I'm slowly putting together a collection of British WW2 bombers and I'd rather have it as it was orginally intended. :hypnotised:

....oh and the glass fittment on this model is dreadful, especially in the side windows. :undecided:

Thanks,

Phil

if you want to use the kit serial, I think you are stuck with it being a fighter. It only served with two squadrons, being QY:D with 254, a Coastal Command fighter unit, and HO:J with 143 Sq, similarly but mainly acting as an OTU.

There are plenty of Blenheim bomber units, although the majority without the 2-gun nose position. You could simply do the more interesting Free French unit, but transfers are readily available for RAF serials and code letters for doing almost any example.

If you have real problems with the canopies, Falcon do the Blenheim in one of their RAF bombers sets. It may be available separately under the Squadron label.

I think the gun pack was optional anyway, so It could be left off.

The canopy/ glazing is terrible I have tried to make this kit twice (admittedly when I was about 6 and 10 yrs!) and spoilt the kit both times when I got the glazing...because of this I have never attempted the revell Mk1 version, which I thinks looks the biz for a late 30's/ early40's fighter/bomber!

:nerd:

The glazing for the Frog/Revell Mk.1 kit fits much much better. Possiby because it omits the two behind the pilot's shoulder? If you mean painting the frames, I'm afraid we are all stuck with that! The newer MPM kits come with fully glazed nose sections that do not require fiddly fits - sadly they are slightly wider than the fuselage parts.

I don't believe the machine gun pack was optional: the early aircraft were built as bombers and then had to go to a "shadow" factory, one of the railway companies I believe, to be modified to take the gunpack. Later aircraft may have been built new as fighters. Removing the gunpack and associated internals, to replace with bombbay, doors, sight, wiring etc would not be a squadron level job.

It would be interesting to find out for sure, or not. I also wonder if the Airfix colour scheme should be replaced by the Coastal Command colours on this aircraft: Extra Dark Sea Grey and Dark Slate Grey over Sky.

I don't believe the machine gun pack was optional: the early aircraft were built as bombers and then had to go to a "shadow" factory, one of the railway companies I believe, to be modified to take the gunpack. Later aircraft may have been built new as fighters. Removing the gunpack and associated internals, to replace with bombbay, doors, sight, wiring etc would not be a squadron level job.

Bristol Blenheim in Action quotes the gun pack 'kits' as being manufactured by the Southern Railway Company, Ashford, Kent. There is nothing about aircraft being taken to this location for installation and I would be surprised if this was the case. If the pack was modular is there any reason why this couldn't have been done either at squadron or Maintenance Unit level? It was virtually a 'bolt-on' item in any case.

I also wonder if the Airfix colour scheme should be replaced by the Coastal Command colours on this aircraft: Extra Dark Sea Grey and Dark Slate Grey over Sky.

The Osprey book refers to Blenheim fighters operating with Coastal Command being in standard day fighter colours, so it would seem Airfix are correct, depending on whether you agree with their colour recommnedations as matches for RAF dark green/dark earth/sky. The book goes on to say that 'some' aircraft were later re-painted in 'blue grey and blue green' - whatever that is supposed to mean.

peebeep

Osprey? I would not rely on that as a source. The Ducimus Cam&Markings booklet quotes CC Blenheims in the TSS colours, but is less than detailed. I'm not saying that these aircraft had to be in TSS, but I think it is possible. Perhaps the answer lies in the "later repainted".

Thanks for the reference to Southern Railway. Is there any evidence of Blenheim Mk.1Fs or Mk.IVFs ever being "deconverted"?

Osprey? I would not rely on that as a source.

It depends, I check to see who did the artwork before arriving at any conclusion. In this case there is a logic that if the aircraft were manufactured and painted on the basis that they were destined for either Bomber or Fighter Command then they would have been finished in the temperate land scheme. 235 Sqdn was reformed as a fighter squadron at Manston on 30 October 1939 and was initially equipped with Battles(!). In February 1940 these were replaced by Blenheims and the unit was transferred to Coastal Command. Make your own mind up, but I would favour temperate land scheme as applicable until crews got fed up with sticking out like a sore thumb over the water.

Thanks for the reference to Southern Railway. Is there any evidence of Blenheim Mk.1Fs or Mk.IVFs ever being "deconverted"?

None that I have ever come across. In any case Blenheim airframes tended to have short life span, especially in Coastal Command. You would have to wonder if any particular airframe lasted long enough for anybody to consider removing a gun pack. IVF's are sometimes seen with light bomb racks fitted behind the gun pack.

peebeep

if you want to use the kit serial, I think you are stuck with it being a fighter. It only served with two squadrons, being QY:D with 254, a Coastal Command fighter unit, and HO:J with 143 Sq, similarly but mainly acting as an OTU.

Darn it, it was built as a fighter from the outset then? Oh I think I'll stick the gun pod on afterall, saves a few quid on the decals. I'd rather spend the money on a better kit.

I've pretty well solved the poor fitting canopy. The window by the pilot was set quite a way in but I've built it up with Clearfix and it looks much better. I also used it to fill in the miriad of gaps, not a good kit but the Clearfix is well worth the money.

Phil

Darn it, it was built as a fighter from the outset then?

254 Sqdn was reformed in October 1939 as a shipping protection squadron, so I think you can fairly safely presume that its aircraft were fitted with the gun packs. Just to clarify on the colours, the squadron was with fighter command throughout 1940 and transferred to Coastal Command in January 1941 so dark green/dark earth/sky seems a pretty safe bet.

peebeep