British Cammo Patterns

Pat C

I was wondering whether an "approved" cammo pattern was used for each RAF and FAA aircraft type during WWII? I have seen some of the patterns set out in one of the Air Ministry orders but they seen to be generic and perhaps each aircraft type had a variation on this theme?

Was looking at the pattern suggested in Hasegawa's Tarpon vs those for the same aircraft in the 1986 SAMI feature on US aircraft in the FAA and they don't bear much resemblance to each other.

Pat

They were generic. There were three main patterns: single-engined, small twin-engined, and large aircraft. By far the majority of UK-built aircraft were painted to one of these patterns, or their mirror images.

Aircraft repainted in MUs or in overseas theatres did not always retain the official pattern, but these were provided to US manufacturers and these do seem generally to have maintained them.

No promises about any individual example, however.....

Thanks Graham

I've found the generic template. Mirror-Image would explain why the fuselage stripes in some aircraft "point" in a different way to others.

Looks like the Tarpon painting guide in the Hasegawa kit (in fact by Aeromaster) is wrong.

Pat

Hi Pat C, I don't no if this is any help to you mate

Picture001.jpg[/img]

:shrug:

Long story short Pat, there were guidelines, but they were sometimes either modified, ignored or just wrongly applied. There was a officially laid down pattern for the Spitfire, but you'll find hundreds of photos out there of Spits with different variations or interpretations of that pattern.

Any chance you can upload a scan of the Hasegawa pattern, I can do a search through my archives here.

Thanks everyone. I found this for single engine monoplanes which looks like a slightly simplified version to Johnny Red's. From later in the war perhaps?

Chap1_09.jpg

Jonathan - that is kind of you to offer - I will try and scan in the offending Tarpon this evening,.

Pat

Just to add to the others: the pattern was issued by the Ministry, but it was up to the individual manufacturer to draw that pattern as applied to his product. The resulting pattern will show differences between types, although variations within the production runs of any one type seem to show been rather less, or at least smaller scale differences, than modellers like to think. Major differences seen in some photos tend to be the result of repainting in MUs rather than as-built.

In some British paint shops, although not all, the patterns were converted into mats that were placed on the airframe to mark out the limits of each colour. Variations with such an approach would be small indeed. It is possible to distinguish the early Spitfire Mk.IXs converted by RR from those converted by Supermarine, but this is by a small difference in the pattern on the extended nose: the rest of the aircraft are identical in pattern. As are the vast majority of Spitfires, due no doubt to the mass production techniques of the motor industry as applied at Castle Bromwich.

I do have a sneaky feeling about the Avenger - that because of its size it was determined to use the twin-engined pattern for it. However, I don't recall where I saw this. I think I have an old UK IPMS magazine that gave the patterns for the main FAA types: if I get time I'll dig it out over the weekend and look at some Avenger photos.

It's simple compared to german aircraft, but still a bit of a minefield. Thjere were 2 basic patterns for single engine aircraft, but often these were changed at local MUs - eg. Ian Gleed's spitfire Mk V. Also, look at hurricanes where the disruptive pattern often skirted around an access panel near the cockpit.

well lets see how this compares then!!

That's a perfectly normal mirror-image scheme, with slight variations; look at early Spitfires, and you'll see some with similar patterns. I'd guess, too, that it's been fitted with a replacement cowling front, at some stage. There's a strong feeling that Ian Gleed's Spitfire had a replacement wing fitted, and that it came from an airframe with a mirror-image pattern.

Edgar

it's been fitted with a replacement cowling front

trouble is the instructions have both decal options with the same replacement cowling!

I'll scan the Avenger top cammo pattern that I have found in SAM.

Pat

scan0001-1.jpg

Edited by Pat C

The high demarcation on the Avenger's cowling is common: it is on the vast majority of the photos in Fleet Air Arm At War and Aircraft of the FAA. Indeed, on all but one Avenger. The photos also show the wing pattern as on your latest posting, the standard shape not as on the original Hasegawa posting. There remains the possibility that one Avenger may have suffered local damage and been repainted in this manner, but what's the chance that you want to model that particular one?