Revell 04301 BAC Lightning F.6 1/72?

Rabspat

Yep, it's a repop of the old Hasegawa/Frog mold going back to the 60's if memory serves.

Personally, I would hold fire as Trumpeter are apparently going to release several different versions of the Lightning in 1/72 in (hopefully) the not to distant future.

Cheers,

Mark

Revell have released two 1/72 Lightning F6 kits over the years.

First, 04131 released in about 1998 was a repop of the old Frog kit but the mold had seriously deteriorated over the years - I had one and it was awful apart from the decals.

The latest kit 04301 is a repop of the Hasegawa kit which dates back to around the same time as the Frog kit as they were joint-developed in some way I gather. The Hasegawa mold was revamped in the 1980's and is currently available.

The most significant external improvement on the revamp is the addition (I'm told) of cannon bulges to the belly tank.

I've built a copy of the Hasegawa kit before it was revamped, and it went together just lovely. As it didn't have the belly tank cannon bulges, it made an easy candidate for conversion to an F2A.

The Revell kit is, therefore, a £9.99 repop of a Hasegawa kit currently available at £6.75. That said, it does, arguably, have a much more interesting choice of decals, if bright and shiny is your thing.

If you aim to use aftermarket decals, get the current issue of the Hasegawa kit. If you can wait until a show, you'll probably find the Revell kit discounted to around the same price.

Chuck it in the bin and wait for the Trumpeter one. Shame on Revell for having the sheer nerve to re-issue this old relic - and charge way too much for it too!

I`m surprised that no manufacturer has released a more upto date Lightning kit in recent years. But i`m looking forward to the Trumpeter Lightnings in both 1:72 and 1:32!! :analintruder:

And don't look now but it appears that Academy is entering the Lightning free for all. Look for the other thread around here. The 2008 Catalog (sorry American spelling there) has a new mold 72nd F.6 listed.

Matt