NIMROD ALERT

entlim

Yes Jonathan's right (my humour :tumble: ). So now, with the MRA4 scheduled into service in 2012, we can look forward to the Airfix MRA4 in say 2052! I've preorderd from Hannants.

Now you're just being silly, everyone knows Airfix will release one to coincide with it going into service. So as it's projected to be 2012, it'll be at least 5 years after that when it will actually enters service, so 2017. Airfix will of course aim to release it then, but some mould tweakings coupled with the slow boat from China mean that it will be delayed by 2 years, so we're looking at Christmas 2019 (which realistically means February 2020). ;) . It will, of course, be a special limited edition release!

All of this is provided we still have an RAF by then. If not we can look forward to MPM / Special Hobby releasing one as part of their RAF2020 series - similar to the Luft46 aircraft they do now.

Best

Rich

I'm not expecting Tamiya quality, an excellent starting point for is all I hope for. From what I have seen, it looks like we get that and then some. I can tweak details and get the kit where I want it and I will no longer have the AIM kit mocking me from the stash.

This aircraft has been neglected for so long and we are absolutely lucky that a company saw fit to do it such justice. Looking forward to getting my two.

-Mike

hi all

this is without doubt an eagerly awaited kit.airfix has shot itself in the foot a bit with all the delays.and the expectation still grows.i hope for them it's a good one.like most of you i saw it at telford and was impressed.any small problems can be worked out "after all we are modelers"what you read in reviews is after all one mans opinion.so i still eagerly look forward to it.

maybe see it at yeovilton for sale.

happy modeling glenn.....

Stephen, you're basing your comments on press reports - bad idea! The Nimrod crash wasn't caused by any deficiency with the Nimrod, it just hadn't been maintained properly. The fuel leaks had been going on for years and they still are, the problem is that nobody had/has the will and/or money to do anything about it. The aircraft's fine - always has been. As for the MRA4, it's running along fine despite all the press waffle to the contary. Never believe rubbish you read in papers or on plane spotter websites...

I think Graham T was being a touch mischievous when he suggested that. The possibility of trying to get an MR.4 from the 1/2 tooling was looked into at the early, but rejected as the number of changes would have meant almost an entirely new kit.

Almost a case of inserting a new aircraft under the cockpit windows ........?

Whats the saying...a thousand holiday brouchures aren't worth one real trip. Or this case reviews and one kit in hand.

Very true. I remember one "celebrity" web reviewer declaring a kit I had just finished to be "unbuildable" and stating he had binned his. I liked it so much I had been out and bought the 2-seater version of the same mould!

mig2.jpg

John

Edited by John

Very true. I remember one "celebrity" web reviewer declaring a kit I had just finished to be "unbuildable" and stating he had binned his. I liked it so much I had been out and bought the 2-seater version of the same mould!

John

Yes I often wonder as I review a kit if earlier reviewers have built the same kit as me, and you can see why manufacturers don't like letting test shots out now for review as often things change even up to the last minute almost.

Ted

What i don't understand is that the majority of people casting doubts about the quality of the Nimrod kit would, to my knowledge, think nothing about hacking a kit to bits to modify wing / fuselage shapes, fit aftermarket resin updates and details or even scratch build the most amazing pieces of work from a few drawings. Yet some article in a magazine says a new kit needs a little bit of filler in a wing root and all hell breaks loose on a kit that's not even released yet!!

Give them a chance. I've lost count of the number of kits i've built that need a bit of filler in a wing root. When was the last time any of us built a kit without using a bit of filler?

Rant over

Tom

<snip>

Give them a chance. I've lost count of the number of kits i've built that need a bit of filler in a wing root. When was the last time any of us built a kit without using a bit of filler?

Rant over

Tom

This one!

PICT0002-10.jpg

But I do agree with your point.

John

Yes I often wonder as I review a kit if earlier reviewers have built the same kit as me, and you can see why manufacturers don't like letting test shots out now for review as often things change even up to the last minute almost.

Ted

Exactly , I remember reading a review of the Tamiya Beaufighter shortly after it was released .The Reviewer slammed it,

adding all sorts of internal detail , which couldn't be seen when assembled but failed mention that there were parts to make an Aussie version .

Yes it needed a little wok scribing etc but went together well.

Evening all, new guy here.

I haven't built a kit for about 14 years now.

Am about to make a comeback though.

First of all, I would like to thank Airfix for finally producing a Nimrod! I have 4 on order from Hannants, all of which WILL be built. In reverse order, an R1 in the 2 greys scheme, an MR2 in the hemp and grey, an MR1 in the grey and white with a black radome. Finally, an AEW3 from the conversion that will invariably be produced by someone!

Bottom line is, the reviewers can say what they like about it, but is only the likes of you and I putting our hands in our pockets and buying that will give the manufacturers the confidence to produce yet another rarity!

So, no more slating, lets just enjoy it!

If at all. I read the other day that, following the current problems with the MR2' in service, the whole MRA4 project may be in jeapordy.

Why do we need an MR4? Just who's subs are we gonna be hunting? US Navy's????????????????????????????

OR is it just so's we can bung BAe another few billion?

As for the Airfix kit, I have no interest in building one, so, with complete impartiality all I can say is Good on yer, Airfix.

W

Why do we need an MR4? Just who's subs are we gonna be hunting? US Navy's????????????????????????????

W

Well, I believe the Chinese have a few Kilo class boats that could no doubt make it this far west.......

(& how ironic that the aircraft that could one day be 'hunting' that nations boats will be moulded by their industry in,what was it, 2020???!!!! :P Just because there's no obvious enemy today doesn't mean that there won't be tomorrow)

Keef

Edited by keefr22

Well as everybody knows, I've always got a bee in my proverbial bonnet about model magazines and the amaterurish way in which they work. It's all very well just allowing anyone to review a kit but the blokes that edit these magazines never exercise any editorial control over the content of their magazines, even though this is supposedly what they get paid to do. In essence, a reviewer can say anything he likes and nobody (not least the magazine's editor) bothers to step-in and question what is said. I guess manufacturers don't bother complaining about this sort of practise because they know that in the final analysis, a kit review in a magazine isn't going to influence anybody (or at least nobody with any sense) therefore it's probably better to simply send-out kits for review and let people say what they like, on the basis that any publicity is good publicity.

It is a bit annoying though when you read/see reviews or other features where somebody makes comments about a kit which are either patently untrue or simply influenced by the writer's interests or capabilities. It's particularly annoying when you see a review which contains glaring errors which indicate that the writer knows nothing about the subject which he's writing about.

It's madness. It's kinda like the Editor of the Guardian allowing some school kid to write cookery features without even bothering to check if he knows the difference between a pea and a sprout.

However, I'm drifting-off at a tangent again! I'm sure Airfix won't give a stuff what any magazines say about their Nimrod as it will be sold no matter what comments are made. In some respects you have to wonder why they even bother sending free samples to these people to build, but I guess it goes back to the publicity thing again - say what you like as long as the damned thing gets promoted!

Thing is, as time progresses, I wonder whether magazines actually generate much publicity for new releases like the Nimrod. I mean, how long was the story buzzing around sites like this before it finally made its way into a magazine?

Had a phone call this evening from John at Models2u asking whether i still wanted the Nimrod i preordered 2 years ago. I had forgotten about that order to be honest and i thought i was gonna miss out but now i`m getting one!! :partytime:

The IFR system was a quick fix job to begin with, never bothered to do a full scale refit- look what happened to the crew -hence the mandate of no in flight refuelling... :angrysoapbox.sml::hobbyhorse:

True it was a lash up to begin with but then it was "refined" somewhat to the extend that all plumbing etc was brought upto an exceptable standard. As for MRA 4 don`t get me started on it! RAF/MoD order 12 and could only be getting 9 (due to the first three jet which are being used for testing included in this 12!). Then of course a rather worrying problem that 2 of the 3 MRA4`s have major fuel leak issues and are going back to Woodford to be assessed as to possible fixes as those already tryed have failed!