Ok what's the best Lancaster kit?

Rabspat

I am thinking about getting a Lancaster to add to my stash, now i would love to do a big Tamiya one with all the after-market stuff but thats out of my price range. So i am gonna go with 1/72 on this, so what is the best in 1/72? I can get either the Hasegawa, Revell (new tool) and the old Airfix boxings. Which boxing would you guys/gals recommend? I might even go and make it into a diorama.

Thanks for looking

Hi,

It depends on what you want to spend and what you want from the kit.

My personal preference is for the new Revell kit, but, as with all the kits it's not perfect (honestly which model is). It's the cheapest of the three, it's a brand new tooling and you can do either a Mk1 or III with the minimum of fuss.

This is my personal opinion on this,

Bob

To be honest the price really don't bother me, i just want an accurate Lancaster in the collection. Something that i would not have to spend a load of cash on AM stuff for it. I get AM decals thats a must for me as i tend to hate kit decals these days.

• 5 months later...

I guess no one really has an answer to this (I've been wondering this myself).

FWIW, this is what I have pieced together from reading several threads here and at the ARC.

Both the Airfix and Hasegawa kits are closest in overall dimensions (I lean to the Airfix kit, mainly as it has all the rivit detail which is so prevalent on the Lanc). Also, I've read that the Hasegawa fuselage has some shape issues on the rear half. Not to mention the "little" foul up on the escape hatch for the main canopy.

Revell's new Lanc is indeed a nice kit, BUT, incomparison to the other 2 (if we care to accept that their overall measurements are correct for 1/72), this Lanc's fuselage is short in length and the wings are short and somewhat more narrow in chord when compared to the other 2 kits.

There is also the "issue" surrounding the wing's dihedral (or more aptly put, lack thereof). Not a major sticking point for me, I think it looks fine either way.

As well, I've have been looking at the shape of all 3 kit's engine / wheel well nacelles, at this point, I feel Airfix's seems to be the most correct. I have considered scribing a set of them and removing the molded on exhaust shrouds and then making a mold of them for casting.

I've thought about doing a bash using the Hasegawa and Revell kits (a somewhat expensive idea to say the least) and using a cast set of Airfix engines (I still plan on building the Airfix kit and sprucing it up with some photoetch and resin sets from CMK).

For this bash, I would use the Revell fuselage (the clear parts are outstanding!) and take the wings from the Hasegawa kit. I still have to determine what to do about the fuselage length issue. I do not recall how much shorter it is - if memory serves, not much and it might not be worth fretting over. The wings, however, were quite noticeably smaller (this would also address the dihedral issue mentioned previously).

With all the bits left over, you'd still have everything to build another Lanc, so overall, no real loss, but possibly a more accurate "new tool" Lanc???

Anyways, just my 2 cents, thoughts gentlemen?

Actually the best kit is that produced by ORVA but they are expensive and produced only to order. They are also only sold to modellers who have a high expertise, as the Company are very protective of their reputation and do not want to see their kits made below a certain standard. Most of you will have to be content with either the Revell Hasegawa or Airfix kit.

However if you were to purchase a Brit Mod T shirt I may use my influence on your behalf.

BK - that is a very useful post - thanks.

Will have to think about this. As I explained they are selective and are not really keen on photos being publicly displayed, without their approval. Basically if you have not had an invitation to purchase they may well not want to do business with you. They are German in part and I got my "invite" when I purchased a Brit mod T shirt. No promises of course but you could try - the shirts are fairly reasonable in price.

Will have to think about this. As I explained they are selective and are not really keen on photos being publicly displayed, without their approval. Basically if you have not had an invitation to purchase they may well not want to do business with you. They are German in part and I got my "invite" when I purchased a Brit mod T shirt. No promises of course but you could try - the shirts are fairly reasonable in price.

Well, what a way to run a business!! Of course it's their choice & they are obviously trading at a level they are happy at, but I'm at a bit of a loss to know how they can judge the standard of my modelling skills by the fact that I buy a Britmodeller T-shirt!! :blink:

Without risking incurring their wrath upon you, are you able to say whether they do any other models? A state of the art Halifax for instance would be more to my liking...... (quite happy if you'd want to PM me)

Keef

:lol: Can you lot not tell when you're having your legs pulled? You should know David better than that - he was just trying to drum up Tshirt sales, whilst in a mischeivous mood! :rofl: You can stop shouting at the Germans now Ian :rolleyes:

That boy should come with a "WARNING: Contains Sarcasm & Irony" label! :lol:

:D:P:worthy:

:lol: Can you lot not tell when you're having your legs pulled? You should know David better than that - he was just trying to drum up Tshirt sales, whilst in a mischeivous mood! :rofl: You can stop shouting at the Germans now Ian :rolleyes:

That boy should come with a "WARNING: Contains Sarcasm & Irony" label! :lol:

:doh::rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :doh:

He got me good & proper there Tex!!

I'd actually e-mailed my mate about this & said that it sounded more like something you'd hear about on the first day of April. And I still fell for it!!! :rolleyes:

I really, really wanted one too - I was going to stick the wings on upside down & paint it in blue & pink camo - then post pics on every internet forum I could find... :P:lol:

Nice one David....:worthy::D

Keef

I feel rotten now - yes wouldn't it be lovely to have a 1:48 Hali BI II made by a manufacturer who was master = Sorry Ian - Keef - :fuhrer:

No apologies necessary for me David, I can still take having me leg pulled!! :D

Keef

Actually the best kit is that produced by ORVA

ORVA is that AVRO spelled backwards by any chance??? :confused::rolleyes:

Edited by Jazzy Jase

I guess no one really has an answer to this (I've been wondering this myself).

FWIW, this is what I have pieced together from reading several threads here and at the ARC.

Both the Airfix and Hasegawa kits are closest in overall dimensions (I lean to the Airfix kit, mainly as it has all the rivit detail which is so prevalent on the Lanc). Also, I've read that the Hasegawa fuselage has some shape issues on the rear half. Not to mention the "little" foul up on the escape hatch for the main canopy.

Revell's new Lanc is indeed a nice kit, BUT, incomparison to the other 2 (if we care to accept that their overall measurements are correct for 1/72), this Lanc's fuselage is short in length and the wings are short and somewhat more narrow in chord when compared to the other 2 kits.

There is also the "issue" surrounding the wing's dihedral (or more aptly put, lack thereof). Not a major sticking point for me, I think it looks fine either way.

As well, I've have been looking at the shape of all 3 kit's engine / wheel well nacelles, at this point, I feel Airfix's seems to be the most correct. I have considered scribing a set of them and removing the molded on exhaust shrouds and then making a mold of them for casting.

I've thought about doing a bash using the Hasegawa and Revell kits (a somewhat expensive idea to say the least) and using a cast set of Airfix engines (I still plan on building the Airfix kit and sprucing it up with some photoetch and resin sets from CMK).

For this bash, I would use the Revell fuselage (the clear parts are outstanding!) and take the wings from the Hasegawa kit. I still have to determine what to do about the fuselage length issue. I do not recall how much shorter it is - if memory serves, not much and it might not be worth fretting over. The wings, however, were quite noticeably smaller (this would also address the dihedral issue mentioned previously).

With all the bits left over, you'd still have everything to build another Lanc, so overall, no real loss, but possibly a more accurate "new tool" Lanc???

Anyways, just my 2 cents, thoughts gentlemen?

I got a couple of the new tool Revell kits as they are the cheapest but I've found something else about the kit. I was going to use mine for Lincoln conversions using the Flightpath set, only I found the new Revell kit is about 1.5mm shorter in depth than the Airfix kit the set has been made for. Also the depth of the longeron stiffener that runs along the side is completely different to the Airfix kit, and Flightpath conversion. Now I don't know now which one is correct in depth but I'm leaning towards the Airfix kit going by different things I've read about it. If I wanted a real accurate Lanc I would go with the later Airfx kit personally.

Edited by kitnut617

Very nice midupper, I like that. I had asked Neil for his set but they're not available right now. The Flightpath set fits the Airfix kit to a 'tee' too.

I feel rotten now - yes wouldn't it be lovely to have a 1:48 Hali BI II made by a manufacturer who was master = Sorry Ian - Keef - :fuhrer:

you little rotter :thumbsdown: lock all your doors and your windows i'm coming for your wife :wub:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

you little rotter :thumbsdown: lock all your doors and your windows i'm coming for your wife :wub:

You really are a masochist aren't you. I am going to leave the window open... heh heh....... actually on seconds thoughts she won't kill you - the Lanc is her favorite a/c. you will just get broken legs.