Spotty Orange Paratrooper

Notdoneyet

Wibble, wibble, wibble!!!!

I have spent the last 5 days drawing and cutting out masks for the spots on the spine, rear fuse, nose and intakes ....wibble .....I decided to do each one on a separate piece of Tamiya tape to ease placement which it did but it made the spraying pretty tedious , requiring spraying and masking of only 4 - 5 spots at a time.....wibble, wibble.......

After 5 days and 5 of Swan & Morton's finest No11 blades I ended up with this :-

DSC00508.jpg

Spraying was actually a respite from the tedium of mask cutting, so after many trips to the paint shop the "spots" are now done ...wibble .....

DSC00509.jpg

DSC00512.jpg

DSC00513.jpg

DSC00515.jpg

I'm pleased with the end result ....was it worth all of the effort? Wibble ..... :mental::wacko:

Next up will be a coat of future to protect the spotty bits and then yet more masking in preparation for the grey bits and then more mask cutting as I've decide to spray the "peel back" bits ....did I say wibble?

Many thanks for the words of appreciation and encouragement, they were the ideal antidote to the tedium of the mask creation. Thanks!!

Ian

Amazing, utterly amazing :worthy: and I thought I was crazy painting her by hand :yikes: making your own stencils like that is unbelievable :worthy:

Bex

Many, many thanks for all the kind comments. Gort appreciates the attention too and has shown it in her usual way by snoozing all day on top of the satellite receiver .....

Doc, I'll have the jacket on the right please, I fear my contribution to our padded cell conversations will be limited to ............ wibble :winkgrin:

Small update. I have sprayed the upper surfaces Xtracrylics Dark Sea Grey and the tail black. I also sprayed the lower surfaces Xtracrylics Dark Camouflage Grey and was somewhat surprised to find it was way too dark when dry. In fact it was exactly the same colour and shade as the Dark Sea Grey. So today it was back to the paint shop and the Dark Camo Grey was resprayed, this time lightened with 4 drops of white. The shade is much better now IMHO. So this is how she looks now :-

DSC00525.jpg

DSC00527.jpg

I have removed the flare and chaff bundles from the dispensers on the aft fuselage hence the strange "double wedge" shape.

DSC00529.jpg

Next up more masking and cutting in preparation for the spraying of the "peel back" foil bits.

Cheers,

Ian (& Gort)

Ian, this is turning into a real beauty :thumbsup2: Just keep ya eye on Gort, I went out this morning to return to my 32nd Tornado in bits on my table after Felix had bounced on her on my so called safe stand :doh:

Bex

Thanks again for the comments.

Ian, this is turning into a real beauty :thumbsup2: Just keep ya eye on Gort, I went out this morning to return to my 32nd Tornado in bits on my table after Felix had bounced on her on my so called safe stand :doh:

Bex

Bex, Gort is very good at "table football" and delights in scoring a "goal" - batting stuff with her front paws from the table onto the floor below. So my Jaguar is never left unguarded on the kitchen table as it would certainly go for its first (and last) Gort powered flight.

So I've spent the last few days cutting more masking tape in the shape of the "peel backs". I masked over their positions then drew the shape onto the tape then cut out the shape with a fresh No11 blade. After a few cutting sessions here's how she looked before entering the spray shop for the "peel back" base coat.

DSC00531.jpg

DSC00532.jpg

After spraying the base coat I constructed a single line mask from acetate sheet, masking tape and white tack which I used to spray the 3Dcurl of the "peel backs". I couldn't resist taking the masking off one wing to see how it looked :-

DSC00533.jpg

It's slow going spraying the 3D curl as each "peel back" must be done individually with it's neighbours masked to prevent overspray - very labourious.

Hopefully I will have completed the "peel back" painting in the next day or so then all the masking tape can come off :yahoo:

Thanks for looking and any comment/suggestions.

Ian

Edited by Notdoneyet