BN Turbine Islander BN2T

Mark

Hi everyone, has there ever been a conversion set to replace the piston lycomings with a pair of Alison turbines? I used to fly the BN2T for the RAPA in Bad Lippsringe, Germany and would love to model it.

Hi everyone, has there ever been a conversion set to replace the piston lycomings with a pair of Alison turbines? I used to fly the BN2T for the RAPA in Bad Lippsringe, Germany and would love to model it.

No. There is a prop set from Aeroclub which will do for the three blade prop and spinner (I don't remember which one - it's from a turbine cessna set or something). The nacelles are down to scratchbuilding. I did suggest to Ali of A2Z about doing a conversion set, just have to get all the reference material to him. If you have any photo's or technical material they would help.

Best

Rich

Thanks Rich, unfortunately I no longer have any pics, but there's a few on airliners.net including G-DEMO which was BN's demonstration aircraft.

• 2 weeks later...

This was a subject that interested me as well - to the point of buying an Airfix Islander kit.

Don, of AndyPackModels was talking about producing conversion kits when I last went to Fairford - in 2006, and was very keen to get copies of my photos of Army BN2Ts.

I offered to build a prototype model for him - but haven't heard much since.

I'll ask him again at Yeovilton this weekend

I have been working on converting one one and off for a bit now (whenever I feel like working on it, I lie down until the feeling goes away!!).

The underside of the nacelle isn't too difficult - take a llittle off the sides to shorten it, and re-shaping the forward cowl should be easy enough (why god invented milliput) it's the intake on top of the cowling that I'm not sure how to tackle.

I have an old Scale Models article on building the Platypus AEW one, and some Aviation News plans.

There is also a resin kit from, I think, a Belgian company that pops up on ebay from time to time - they did an ASTOR version as wel, and there is a Trislander too.

Edited by Dave Fleming

This was a subject that interested me as well - to the point of buying an Airfix Islander kit.

Don, of AndyPackModels was talking about producing conversion kits when I last went to Fairford - in 2006, and was very keen to get copies of my photos of Army BN2Ts.

I offered to build a prototype model for him - but haven't heard much since.

I'll ask him again at Yeovilton this weekend

Think you'd be better getting in touch with Ali of A2zee - we might get an accurate conversion then. If Andy Pack produced one that's anything like that "King Air" vacform they produced then there'd only be one word for it - gruesome!

Keef