Class C Racing Truck.

Diesel Gypsy

I got the call this morning to go into hozzy.

Going to be there for a while, pre & post op.

So this thread will be a little dead for a while till I recover.

Thanks for you time.

Good luck Dave,

Hope all goes swimmingly & you're soon back to the build!

Take care

Keef

• 1 month later...

Ello Peeps.

Its about time I bounced this Zombie thread/build back into life.

I wont bore you good folk with my health probs, but needless to say for those of you who know the background I'm still waiting for the op. But thanks to Bristol Oncology I'm now stable, clinicaly that is, not mentaly :mental::hypnotised::tease:

So heres the progress so far.

The cab has been built up & primed with Halfords white plastic primer. It was then left to gass off for a day or so. When the primer had cured a dust coat of satin black was applyed.

This acts as a "guide coat" that allows me to see any imperfections while I'm cutting back the primer.

Heres a general shot of the cab with the guide coat.

2008_0324Cab20001.jpg

A close up shot of the cab showing the speckled effect of the guide coat.

2008_0324Cab20002.jpg

And this is the rest of the parts; side skirts, rear nerf bar & arches & front bumper.

2008_0324Cab20003.jpg

After rubbing back the primer & guide coat any imperfections can be sorted out & reprimed ready for the white gloss coats.

I'm rolling again with this build so more updates are on the way.

Thanks for your time.

DD

Edited by Diesel Donkey

Looking good there, I like the idea of the mist coat to assist in the cutting back of the primer will have to try that one day.

Saw you just as you were leaving the weston show the other weekend, but didn't have enough time to introduce myself, still glad to hear things are ticking over on the health front, everyone I met at the show had such nice things to say about you. Hope things pick up and get sorted shortly.

Russ

Many thanks for the words of encouragement Gents.

russ Posted Yesterday, 08:46 PM

Saw you just as you were leaving the weston show the other weekend, but didn't have enough time to introduce myself,

I hope you enjoyed the show russ.

We certainly enjoyed hosting it. It was a good team effort by all our club members & the Traders, Clubs, SIGs & Model Groups that exhibited. It was a pleasure to be part of it.

On with the build.

I spent a few hours cutting back the primer yesterday & suprise suprise I didn't rub through the primer coat, now thats a first :thumbsup:

my weapons of choice were; Micromesh Polishing pads grit sizes 1500, 3200 & 3600 & Auto grade Scotch ultra fine (available from Motor factors & Panel shops).

2008_0325scotch0001.jpg

This next pic demonstrates why I use a guide coat. It has highlighted the bad joint on the corner of this piece. Having a light coloured primer means that I would have probably missed it without the guide coat.

2008_0325fender0001.jpg

This is the Cab after cutting back. I am happy that I've now got a sound smooth base to work the top coats from, so its time to apply the colour coats.

2008_0324Cab30001.jpg

I must thank Jerry (Livesteamer) for his help & advice, Cheers chap :speak_cool:

Thanks for your time.

DD

When the primer had cured a dust coat of satin black was applyed.

This acts as a "guide coat" that allows me to see any imperfections while I'm cutting back the primer.

Heres a general shot of the cab with the guide coat.

2008_0324Cab20001.jpg

[/b][/color]

You clever bugger!

Edited by palacefan

• 2 weeks later...

Evening all.

Its taken a while but I've finally got the white gloss coat on. There was lots of rubbing back to do to get a undercoat base I was happy with. Each time I cut the primer back new flaws became visable.

Bad joints, mould lines & sink holes were just some of the problems. In total I reapplied primer, guide coat & cut back three times before I was happy with the finish.

So then it was off to Jerry's (Livesteamer) house to use his heated garage to spray the gloss coat.

I used Halfords Appliance White. After heating the cans it went on perfectly.

Firstly I sprayed three mist coats to build up a key, each coat was applied about fifteen minutes apart. This was left to gass off for about half an hour in front of an electric fire, turning the pieces occasionally.

Then I sprayed a "wet coat" on much heavier & left it for the rest of the day to gass off & harden. The next morning Jerry sprayed one more wet coat & the pieces were left for several days to cure.

The result is a very smooth, hard & glossy finish that requires no polishing.

2008_0409gloss0003.jpg

2008_0409gloss0004.jpg

Now for the Blue which is one of those god awful Revell colour combinations, 10% of this colour, 40% of that colour & 50% of something I dont have.......most probably. Tiz enough to make your head go pointy.

Thanks for your time.

DD.

daz greenwood Posted Yesterday, 08:41 PM

Looking good Dave.

seanrgb Posted Today, 09:11 AM

Looking good Dave

Thanks for your comments Gents.

Looking at he second picture, I can still see sink marks in the corner of the cab :hmmm:

The shadow thrown by my photo rig shows it up quite well :doh:

They will have to stay now, I cant face any more filling, sanding, priming etc :hypnotised::boom:

Thanks for your time.

DD

The result is a very smooth, hard & glossy finish that requires no polishing.

The Holy Grail - you've found the Holy Grail!!!! :clap2: Oh to one day achieve a paint job that doesn't need polishing!!! :please::D

Wouldn't have seen the sinkmarks if you hadn't mentioned them. Looks good to me!

Keef

Ed, T Tango & Skii.

Thankyou Gents.

keefr22 Posted Apr 10 2008, 09:03 PM

The Holy Grail - you've found the Holy Grail!!!! Oh to one day achieve a paint job that doesn't need polishing!!!

To be honest Keef its quite simple, like me :wacko:.

The secret, if there is one is good prep;

Thin coats of primer, flatting back between coats to gradually build up a smooth base.

When its time for the colour coat apply it in a heated environment & warm the model & rattle cans.

And thats all there is to it as Bruce Forthsyth would say.

DD

Ed, T Tango & Skii.

Thankyou Gents.

To be honest Keef its quite simple, like me :wacko:.

The secret, if there is one is good prep;

Thin coats of primer, flatting back between coats to gradually build up a smooth base.

When its time for the colour coat apply it in a heated environment & warm the model & rattle cans.

And thats all there is to it as Bruce Forthsyth would say.

DD

Easy for you to say Dave - not so easy for a ham fisted idiot like me to carry out!!!! :rolleyes::D

Keef

• 2 weeks later...

keep it going Dave, the hard prep work over with you can enjoy the shiny bits.

• 2 months later...

Right Folks.

Time to shake some life into this zombe thread & get the truck back on track. Pun intended :wacko:

I hope to finish the racing truck but the transporter will not get finished. If I run out of time & the Mods will allow I'll transfer the build onto the Vehicle forum & continue it there. That way I'll be able to build the Transporter as well & maybe create a diorama base too.

Ok, enough chit chat its time for some action.

My progress tonight.

I blew off the dust & opened the box. Well I had to start somewhere :shrug: