Class C Racing Truck.

Diesel Gypsy

Here are some pics of the kit I intend to build for the GB.

This Merc was driven by Thomas Hegmann, he became the European champion in 1989 hence the #1 on his truck.

This is Class C truck from the 1990 German Grand Prix was driven by Hegmann to a class win.

He finished second in the Championship that year.

2008_0123GB0001.jpg

2008_0123GB0002.jpg

2008_0123GB0007.jpg

2008_0123GB0003.jpg

There are some very nicly detailed racing wheels in this kit

2008_0123GB0005.jpg

The window nets are a bit cak, Hmmm I think I'll make some new ones from tape.

2008_0123GB0006.jpg

Right, now lets stick some plastic.

More later.

Ponti Posted Today, 09:27 PM

Ah you found it then Dave.

Looks like it could be fun to build, and wot no engine???????

Yeh, got the Bu**er mate. Found it in the last place Jinny looked, wierd huh :whistle::tease:

There is an engine but I decided not to photo it.

Too many pics of sprue's other wise, gets abit boreing dont you think :tumble:

Russ, Ted & Sean thanks for the words of encouragement guys.

Hi Folks.

I thought it would be nice to build a transporter for the racer.

So I dug this out`a the stash;

2008_0126Transporter0010.jpg

And hope to convert it into this;

AtkinsRacing7.jpg

My thanks to Andy (Ponti) for the pic

My version would be a "What if" becuse I cant find any pics of Hegmann's transporter.

I'm going on the assumption that the tractor was a Merc.

This is the tractor I intend to use to pull the transporter. Its contempory with the racer, where as the Actros in the kit is not.

2008_0126trac-trans0011.jpg

What do you recon peeps ?

Dazie

Edited by Diesel Donkey

Hmm that would look nice Dave.

How do you intend doing the graphics on the transporter side?

Doc

Sorry Doc, I did'nt make this very clear did I :blush:

My intention was to show the type of transporter I intend to build, rather than the actual transporter its self.

So I dont intend to do the graphics.

The idea of a transporter came from my mate Andy (Ponti).

To be honest it was a bit of an afterthought. I dont even know if Thomas Hagmann used this type of transporter.

This transporter is a total "What if" build.

We thought it would be a good way of displaying how teams transport their racers, & of course another excuse (as if I needed one) to build another truck ;)

The transporter, as I've said before will be a "what if" so becuse of that not part of the GB comp.

I just thought it would be fun to build a transporter thats all.

I'm concentrating on the race truck becuse thats relavent to the GB.

The transporter will come later & if I have time

If you all think that becuse it'll be a "Wiffer" the transporter will compromise the integrity of the GB then please tell me & I wont post the build

Please have your say.

Typo edit, darn I wished I'd learnt how to spell propper :blush:

Edited by Diesel Donkey

Ayup Dave, I think an Actros would be a better looking tractor unit for the trailer ... ;)

Nick.

If you all think that becuse it'll be a "Wiffer" the transporter will compromise the integrity of the GB then please tell me & I wont post the build

Please have your say.

Typo edit, darn I wished I'd learnt how to spell propper :blush:

Well, it's certainly not my call, but I think it's a brilliant idea!! I had no clue that that is how they transport race trucks - you really do learn something new every day, eh??!!

Whether it's allowed by the mods or not, I'd certainly like to see it built, I think it would look tremendous!! B)

And even if you just build the race truck I'm really looking forward to the build - I don't think I've ever seen one of these kits done!

Keef

Edited by keefr22

plastic constructor Posted Yesterday, 10:42 PM

Ayup Dave, I think an Actros would be a better looking tractor unit for the trailer ...

Nick.

Nick.

The more I look at the 1628s the more I agree with you.

Contempory or not it wont look right will it. :hmmm:

Decision made....i'll go with the Actros.

cheers Nick.

keefr22 Posted Today, 05:37 PM

Well, it's certainly not my call, but I think it's a brilliant idea!! I had no clue that that is how they transport race trucks - you really do learn something new every day, eh??!!

Whether it's allowed by the mods or not, I'd certainly like to see it built, I think it would look tremendous!!

And even if you just build the race truck I'm really looking forward to the build - I don't think I've ever seen one of these kits done!

Keef

Cheers Keef.

Hello Folks.

I got a bit done yesterday.

The V10 engine has been built up

& I've added fuel lines from the injector pump to the cylinders.

I'm working my way through the plumbing.

Next to plumb in will be the lift pump & filters.

2008_0128GBmotor0028.jpg

2008_0128GBmotor0029.jpg

More later.

Ohhh yes, keep the pics coming, Mr Donkey, really looking forward to seeing this develop.

Ian

Just a thought, AMT/Ertl did a series of NASCAR support trucks and trailers at one time, perhaps one of them could be adapted..... if you can find one.

Ian

dswoofie Posted Today, 04:46 PM

The man from the GB mod... he say YES!

Go for it, that transporter looks cool, so it gets in as far as I'm concerned!

Karl.

Thats great news Karl thanks.

tedtaylor Posted Yesterday, 07:55 PM

That looks nice Dave, don't forget that Revell did a rce truck transporter for the yank racers ,might give you some ideas.

Ted

Ian Posted Today, 05:03 PM

Just a thought, AMT/Ertl did a series of NASCAR support trucks and trailers at one time, perhaps one of them could be adapted..... if you can find one.

Ian

Many thanks for your comments Gents.

I think I'll go with this transporter for a couple of reasons;

* The racing truck & transporter are Euro spec & I'd like to keep the two contempory with one another.

* And More important for me, I have the transporter already & I'm too tightfisted to buy another kit :lol:

Thanks for the suggestions, much appreciated.

Ayup Dave,

First of all mate, I hope you get better and start to feel like sticking bits together soon. I look forward to seeing the racing truck rig, sounds interesting. When this build was first mentioned, I suggested a racing truck and was looking forward to taking part, but since then, I've changed jobs and started a couple of projects and I don't want to commit if I can't add anything to the build. However, I do have a couple of these kits and if I get the chance, I'll break open the Scania Racing Truck as there are a few bits and pieces I would like to modify or add, such as brake lines, plumbing and wiring, especially the cabin wiring behind the dash panel as in the real truck, this was visible. I hope to see you at a couple of shows Dave and just in case, I'll break out some of the old 'BP' Racing Year Books which were available for the truck racing enthusiast.

Get well soon mate,

Nick.

A bit more done today.

Built the frame up, it was a bit of a fiddle as the fit isnt great.

I had to take great care that the frame remained square during the build.

If it got twisted I'd end up with a truck with one wheel in the air, not uncommon druing a race :analintruder:

I'd thought I'd post a pic of where I am building, space is a little limited & somtimes the glue fumes get a bit strong :wacko:

2008_0203GBframe0001.jpg

The frame.

2008_0203GBframe0003.jpg

And a couple with the engine dropped in.

2008_0203GBframe0004.jpg

2008_0203GBframe0005.jpg

I'm now going to wash both the engine & frame in mild washing up liquid & warm water, after a good shake I'll leave to air dry.

Tomorrow (oops, just looked at the clock)...I mean later today I hope to get some primer on them.

Thanks for your time.

DD