More Hunter 'gen' required

Troffa

Has any one got any drawings or pictures they can share of the rocket rails installed to the Hunter FGA9, especially those of the Middle East Air forces detatchments at Khormaskar, Aden in the mid sixties?

I am after details of the six rails, installed two inboard and one outboard of each outer pylon.

I have trawled the web and found some pretty good colour shots of rockets being loaded but the rails are often in shadow and hard to make out.

I have found a good shot of the underside of a hunter that clearly shows the configuration of the rails and I am confident that I can locate the scale versions in the right spots but would like a clear shot of at least one rail before I commit to scratch bulding a set.

On a related note, can any one confirm if the rockets with the concrete "warhead" were used as practice weapons or as actual war shots?

thanks in advance,

Troffa :blink:

Hi Troffa,

just had a trawl through my Hunter book, and can't find any close up shots of the rails unfortunately. On the upside, there are photographs of the armourers loading up these concrete headed rockets, and the caption next to the picture reads:

"Fred and Larry load the first of six concrete - headed practice rockets to a No.8 Sqn FGA.9 at RAF Khormaksar, summer 1963"

Another photograph showing armourers loading 4" concrete headed rockets states that they were "very inaccurate", so I think this pretty much rules them out as actual war shots.

If you are interested the book is called 'Hunters - The Hawker Hunter in British Military Service', and is written by Martin W. Bowman. Very nice book, although I haven't read it yet :P

Hope that helps

Regards

Andy :)

Has any one got any drawings or pictures they can share of the rocket rails installed to the Hunter FGA9, especially those of the Middle East Air forces detatchments at Khormaskar, Aden in the mid sixties?

I am after details of the six rails, installed two inboard and one outboard of each outer pylon.

I have trawled the web and found some pretty good colour shots of rockets being loaded but the rails are often in shadow and hard to make out.

I have found a good shot of the underside of a hunter that clearly shows the configuration of the rails and I am confident that I can locate the scale versions in the right spots but would like a clear shot of at least one rail before I commit to scratch bulding a set.

On a related note, can any one confirm if the rockets with the concrete "warhead" were used as practice weapons or as actual war shots?

thanks in advance,

Troffa :blink:

Does this help - it's of a Royal Rhodesian Air Force 1 Squadron FGA9. I can't remember where I got this pic from but you can see two of the rails pretty well.

rhaf_hunter_1.jpg

You can see them less well in some pics here:

http://www.rhodesianforces.org/No1SquadronPhotoGallery.htm

David

Thanks very much guys, thats brilliant! the Concrete practice rounds look pretty cool :thumbsup: I can get that revell kit started now!

(I found the radfan site, but award my self the numpty award for missing "HAWKER HUNTER.COM" doh!)

Edited by Troffa

Is that a drop tank/recce pod conversion ,local manufacture ? never seen that before , i take it that it was only used by the Rhodesians ?

I have never seen it elsewhere either. Given ingenuity the Rhodesians demonstrated in making weapons, I suspect it is a locally manufactured but I do not know.

David

Those Hunters have very interestingly coloured nosewheel struts - rather bronze looking. Was this typical?

Clive

There's been some debate on those; I suspect they're bare metal oversprayed with yellow primer. If you take some "gold" foil, and wipe it with white spirit, you'll likely find the cloth covered in yellow.

Edgar

There's been some debate on those; I suspect they're bare metal oversprayed with yellow primer. If you take some "gold" foil, and wipe it with white spirit, you'll likely find the cloth covered in yellow.

Edgar

I still go for the theory that it is a preservative finish as I had this from someone who was in Khormaksar at that time.

I love these period colour photo's!! A few observations.....The Yellow in the 8 Sqn bars IS definitelly Yellow (not "sand" as depicted in the Xtradecal sheet - though this is of a later 8sqn/43sqn aircraft) and their is no wrap around of the wings upper camouflage colours onto the under neath - maybe this was introduced later when re-painted in Light Aircraft Grey?). As for the R.P's - I had thought about borrowing those from the Trumpeter Wyvern on my next FGA9, but the pylons and rails on the Hunters were a much simpler affair ...

Edited by Bill Clark

their is no wrap around of the wings upper camouflage colours onto the under neath - maybe this was introduced later when re-painted in Light Aircraft Grey?).

Hallelujah - I frequently curse whoever in MoD came up with idea of carrying top colours onto bottom of the leading edges on RAF and FAA aircraft - such a drag to mask and paint.

David

their is no wrap around of the wings upper camouflage colours onto the under neath -

Some aircraft appear to have it on the dog tooth - e.g. http://www.radfanhunters.co.uk/images/XG25...05-63_CC(1).jpg

And some have the 'full set'

http://www.radfanhunters.co.uk/Aircraft8/X...jah_1963_RD.jpg

I wonder of they were re-painted without them 'in theatre'?

Edited by Dave Fleming