'Goldstar' Jag in 72nd

Bennygman

Hi all,

After several mis-fires and false starts I've finally started a group build entry on BM. This is going to be a 31 sqn GR-1 using the Revell version of the Italeri kit and some recently acquired Modeldecals (although I was seriously tempted by the 2 sqn option in the box).

Have to say this is a very annoying kit. Annoying because it's nicely moulded and detailed, but it doesn't fit too well. Nothing major you understand, just that almost every seam needs attention (unless it's just me :) ) and with a seven part fuselage that's a lot of seams. The main construction is completed and primed now and just about to start on the next round of clean up and filling. Because there's so much nice moulded detail I tried something new with this one. I watered down my Miliput so it could be smoothed away with a wet cotton bud. Not a new idea I know, but I wish I'd tried this before as it really helps to get a decent finish with minimal sanding. Unfortunately the nose resisted my attempts to blend it in so there wil be some re-scribing to do there. I may also replace the laser nose with some clear sprue if I'm feeling particularly brave. The other scratch building task is to build a CBLS for the centreline pylon as my ref's show these to be almost compulsory.

Hopefully I'll have some pics up soon.

Steve.

It's not just you Steve. Mine is a filler fest as well. The fit of the wing is so good that I felt compelled to break out the Milliput! :rolleyes:

I made a CBLS pod for mine already, I will be making the first batch in resin this week. I have yet to make any bomblings for them though.

Jen.

Edited by desmojen

I made a CBLS pod for mine already, I will be making the first batch in resin this week.

Jen.

:hmmm: Having just had a look at the pic in your thread I think that's a bit better than I would have managed - maybe I'll wait 'til those are available. It's a really good idea as they are incredibly common but to the best of my knowledge never included in kits, though on second thoughts I think the CMR Buccs may have them.

Steve.

Hi all,

After several mis-fires and false starts I've finally started a group build entry on BM. This is going to be a 31 sqn GR-1 using the Revell version of the Italeri kit and some recently acquired Modeldecals (although I was seriously tempted by the 2 sqn option in the box).

Have to say this is a very annoying kit. Annoying because it's nicely moulded and detailed, but it doesn't fit too well. Nothing major you understand, just that almost every seam needs attention (unless it's just me :) ) and with a seven part fuselage that's a lot of seams. The main construction is completed and primed now and just about to start on the next round of clean up and filling. Because there's so much nice moulded detail I tried something new with this one. I watered down my Miliput so it could be smoothed away with a wet cotton bud. Not a new idea I know, but I wish I'd tried this before as it really helps to get a decent finish with minimal sanding. Unfortunately the nose resisted my attempts to blend it in so there wil be some re-scribing to do there. I may also replace the laser nose with some clear sprue if I'm feeling particularly brave. The other scratch building task is to build a CBLS for the centreline pylon as my ref's show these to be almost compulsory.

Hopefully I'll have some pics up soon.

Steve.

Yep the revell kit just about needs putty at every joint, especially the front nose section. The hasegawa kit is excellent though, just a few operational peices it lacks

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, finally got a pic organised.

Nothing particularly special, but the main assembly is done and I think the filling is over! I finally plucked up the courage to saw off the nose and replace it with a piece of clear sprue filed to shape - should look much better when polished up. Just need to get the windscreen Kleared and masked, fix on the upper nose / pitot and we're ready for the camo'.

Just the one pic as there's not too much to see at the mo'. More soon.

IMG_1449.jpg

Steve.

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, I haven't really got the hang of the 'in progress' thing as it's almost done!

A bit of wire and an oil wash adds some interesting if not particularly accurate main legs...

IMG_1458.jpg

Seeker nose improved using the 'clear plastic lump' method. These macro shots aren't overly flattering are they? Something I noticed is that when I applied the oil wash over the Modeldecals it seemed to soak in in some places and wouldn't come off - haven't noticed that on any other decals. You can see the effect here around the rescue markings. Bit of a bugger but not a total disaster with the normal eye...

IMG_1459.jpg

A bit of oil staining around the rear fuselage...

IMG_1456.jpg

And a couple of overall views of where we are at the moment...

IMG_1461.jpg

IMG_1462.jpg

Just the wheels and fragile bits to go, should be done by the weekend.

Steve.

Edited by Bennygman

• 4 weeks later...

She's been finished for a while now, but I only just got around to uploading my pics.

Fairly pleased with this one, though the CBLS is more accurately described as 'green blob of roughly the correct shape'! This is exactly why I leave resin mastering to the experts :lol:

IMG_1467.jpg

IMG_1465.jpg

IMG_1463.jpg

I'll put one of the pics in the 'completed' gallery too.

Steve.

It looks good. I enjoyed your comment about macro photography. It is AMAZING what shows up in fotos that you didnt see!