PC10/ PC11 help

Red Arrow Jag

The best out of the bottle PC10 was Humbrol 108 - unfortunately, they discontinued it!

PC10 is an olive green/brown colour - it can be related directly to US Olive Drab

PC12 is a much more solid red/brown shade, and seems to have been more common on RNAS aircraft

• 2 weeks later...
The best out of the bottle PC10 was Humbrol 108 - unfortunately, they discontinued it!

PC10 is an olive green/brown colour - it can be related directly to US Olive Drab

PC12 is a much more solid red/brown shade, and seems to have been more common on RNAS aircraft

i seem to recall years ago an article that gave the formulas for the pc finnishes , pc10 was yellow ochre and carbon , giving a dull dark greenish hue . pc12 was ferric oxide + carbon - this was a definate brown shade . the ochre pigment was an exspensive use of resourses hence the adoption of the cheaper pc12 later in the war .the finnished shades could vary even from batch to batch , they were also affected by the carrier they were based on e.g. celluose , oil paint etc. the colour was not considered important , it was applied as a sunscreen to prevent the fabric from the ultraviolet light that would weaken the linien fibres . - hence the prefix PC , - PROTECTIVE COLOURING . - probably no help at all really , think i'll go and lie down now . :who-lehttp://www.britmodeler.com/forums/style_images/1/folder_post_icons/icon8.gif

http://www.britmodeler.com/forums/style_im...icon8.gift-rip: :hypnotised:

RAJ,

I went through this exercise myself over 20 years ago looking for matches of PC-10 for my Martinsyde Buzzard - I still have the colour samples I made up then somewhere - I'll see what I can find. The previous posts about Humbrol 108 are correct for factory fresh PC-10, although Humbrol 116 or 117 may also be close (the US equivalents) - the discontinued Humbrol 123 (NATO dark green - which is a green/brown colour) is also very useful. These days, there are also some pretty good olive drab green/brown colours in the current Humbrol range which may be fairly close matches to PC-10/11/12.

Derek

I make a mixture of Humbrol Dark Earth (29) with black (33) 66% <=> 33%. Sometimes add a little green (116). What comes out with even very little green is a greenish brown. PC 10 can be either more or less brownish depending the sunlight (more sun is more brown) and the stage of war. How further on the more brown. This is what I understood from the discussions.

For instance for my Bristol Fighter I did not add any green:

bf21rg3.jpg

But for my Fe2b I did:

afbeelding064og6.jpg

Cheers, Nico

Edited by Nico Teunissen

Hi Nico,

Here are some pictures to help you. I made up some PC-10 colour samples - using Humbrol paints - for my original Martinsyde Buzzard colours back in the mid-80's. Remember, factory fresh PC-10 was more or less a very dark green colour, with a hint of brown in it, fading through to various shades of dark brown, until eventually becoming almost a chocolate colour!

WWIColours006.jpg

Using the Humbrol colour system referenc card for WWI authentic colours, I selected the RFC green colour as the control sample. When Humbrol use to make authentic paints, this colour used to be HB15, which later, when the authentic range of colours were discontinued, was replaced by number 108 in the standard colours range. Today, all Humbrol do is provide you with an interblend mix chart in order to achieve the colour. The other sheet is my colour experiments as described above.

WWIColours001.jpg

This picture shows the original Humbrol HB15 and 108 colours against the current intermix colour for RFC green (you'll notice Humbrol 103 (matt cream) in the middle - Humbrol recommend number 74 (matt linen) for the undersides of RFC aircraft - I find that 103 is more authentic). The other numbers and figures above my paint samples are Methuen colour notaion numbers, which I was using as a colour control reference at the time (my research material quoted the actual RFC colour hues in this fashion).

WWIColours003.jpg

This is the original Humbrol authentic HB15 RFC green colour sample against the control sample.

WWIColours002.jpg

This is the original Humbrol 108 RFC green colour sample against the control sample.

WWIColours005.jpg

This is Humbrol 66 (matt olive drab) colour sample against the control sample. Although not an exact match, it is pretty close, and is still available in the Humbrol range.

WWIColours004.jpg

Two other colours that come close, are Revell matt 46 (NATO Olive) and Tamiya XF-51 matt khaki drab. Both colours are fractionally browner, but would still look OK.

Other colours that may be considered are Humbrol 116 matt US dark green - for a factory fresh PC-10 finish, or Humbrol 155 matt olive drab - for a well weathered PC-10 aircraft.

HTH

Derek

Edited by Derek Bradshaw

• 4 months later...

P.C.10 varied from manufacturer to manufactuere, from batch to batch by manufacturer, and probably from can to can, depending. You can get away with anything from WW2 RAF Dark Green to Olive Green to US pre-war (WW2) Olive Drab, to chocolate brown. I once did an S.E.5 in RLM81 Braunviolett - it was as right as anything. The nice thing about P.C.10 is nobody can prove you wrong.