1/48 Tamiya Fieseler Storch

Ant

Popped into the Frome model centre today and got me one of the new Tamiya Fieseler Storch kits. In the box, it's as nice as the reviews are saying. It's relatively expensive at £30, but it's pretty snazzy and might just about be worth it. I'm not too sure about the integrated clear & opaque moulding though as, although very clever, it may well mean more work.

The little extras are nice too; a canopy mask, eight jerry cans, six oil drums, bed rolls and six figures (two sitting, four standing).

If anyone has any picture requests, let me know and I'll post them up.

DSCN5541.jpg

DSCN5542.jpg

DSCN5543.jpg

DSCN5548.jpg

DSCN5547.jpg

Sweet looking kit.

Never seen a bad Tamiya kit but that one looks great. Let us know how it goes when you start it.

Craig.

Ahh...the Storch...never thought I should own one, and honestly I was rather disappointed when I heard that Tamiya would release it as their special no. 100 kit.

Then the kit started appearing on the shelves, and started to get mentioned on various forums... Then I read a review... Then I bought one... Then I saw how GORGEOUS this kit is, and how difficult it will be to chose which one to build... Easy way out was to order another one, so I did (stille awaiting its arrival though). :analintruder:

This kit is beautiful! Simply beautiful! I am really looking forward to building it, but I know that if I start it now my Hasegawa Harrier project will stall. :who-let-rip:

Btw, have you noticed that the black outer box cover has swastikas on the aircraft while the box itself doesn't?

Regards,

Btw, have you noticed that the black outer box cover has swastikas on the aircraft while the box itself doesn't?

No I hadn't, well spotted! Must be that the sleeve is for the non-german territories. There are swastika decals included in the kit though, on a separate sheet with a few other bits and pieces. Probably not in the german version though.

DSCN5551.jpg

Edited by Ant

What a crap plane to do for there 100th kit.... should have been something with more impact... More German rubbish... :analintruder:

Cheers,

Neil

While I partially agree with you, I think this kit has enabled Tamiya to show off a little, which seems appropriate for their 100th kit. What should have been the 100th 1/48 kit is completely subjective. Personally, I would have liked a Hawker Tempest, to update the old Eduard kit. However, the Storch's design was perfect for producing a multimedia kit with innovative moulding technology. A Tempest wouldn't have been. So there you go, maybe it isn't as special as people hoped, but I think it's pretty cool and worthy of a 100th release.

30 Pounds for a 48 th kit is a bit on the high side.

You are mainly paying for the fancy box .

When compared to a Classic Airframes kit which usually retails for about the same money, I think it's good value.

Chris.

Erwin, you're not really paying more for the packaging, the money is going on a piece of plastic engineering that few, if any, other manufacturer can come close to.

OK it's not what I would have chosen for a 100th release either, but Mr.Tamiya has a thing for the older style of WWII aircraft, his favourite being the Swordfish!...nutter!...:analintruder:

and yeah, compared to the cost of a Classic Airframes kit then it's money well spent because at least with the Tamiya offering you know it'll go together properly.

I've only been back in the UK for a year now and already I've found a few hidden gems in the back streets of Trowbridge, The Toy Shop, Cubbit's Models etc. but imagine how I felt when I found out that I'm only ten minutes or so away from Frome Model Centre!! So, yesterday, I went along for The first time, found them and, oh, they're closed on Mondays!! But it looks like a great shop.

As for the Storch, yes, it looks great, but again, I was dissapointed that they didn't do something really special for the 100th kit. A Sea Fury? Tempest II? A difinitive Mk.IX Spit? (No one's got that one right yet!) But they're all singles, the 100th armour kit was something else and really raised the bar, so why not do that with aviation? How about a 1/48th Stirling? OK, too big? A Hampden would do! But a Storch? Hmmmm.......

I guess that there must be other modellers out there other than British ones. :coolio:

No you're paying for the R&D and moulding technology that Tamiya put into that kit. You want Tamiya quality? You pay Tamiya prices.

The Frome model centre is a corker. It's the closest to a 'modellers' model shop I've found in south west. That said, I haven't been to Bristol for ages and inspected their model shops. The Frome shop has a large model kit room crammed with Tamiya, Hasegawa, Trumpeter, Academy, Hobbyboss, Revell, et al. A bonus for me is that they stock the Vallejo model color range of acrylic (brush) paints. I need to talk them into stocking the model air range though! They also stock the Mig range of pigments and filters and a good range of tools. Well worth the trip to visit.

The Frome shop has a large model kit room crammed with Tamiya, Hasegawa, Trumpeter, Academy, Hobbyboss, Revell....

Oh dear.... Bankruptcy beckons. :shithappens:

I saw the sprues for this kit stuck to the wall of Tamiya's lacklustre display at Telford last year, and thought it looked rather special. I do think that integrating the side glazing with the fuselage is somewhat gimicky & unnecessary though, unless it's to provide a more stable platform for the wing roots to bond to?

I'll get one eventually, then agonise over which of the myriad of schemes to do it in. :)

Guest snipersmudge

i for one applaud tamiyas efforts and will be getting my grubby mitts on one soon i hope. with the way kits are progressing i feel we should be well happy with the state of the hobby. all the producers (in plastic) are bringing out some corkers, take trumpeter they are bringing out stuff i thought i'd never see in plastic and at a resonable cost.

as for the cost of the storch i don't think it's too steep but then each to there own. long may the kit producers bring out new and interesting kits with new and novel items included

pete

No you're paying for the R&D and moulding technology that Tamiya put into that kit. You want Tamiya quality? You pay Tamiya prices.

Maybe my comment was a bit to negative as I only build 32 nd scale and above.

You can get a 32 nd Storch for much less (19 Euros in fact.As I'm selling one on the board ),which is much bigger.

Anyway,it's all a matter of taste in the end. Tamiya stands for quality and high prices.

I'd rather buy three 10 Pounds kits to one 30 Pounds kit.

Keeps me bussy much longer.

Just my opinion.

Edited by Erwin

Erwin, you're not really paying more for the packaging, the money is going on a piece of plastic engineering that few, if any, other manufacturer can come close to.

OK it's not what I would have chosen for a 100th release either, but Mr.Tamiya has a thing for the older style of WWII aircraft, his favourite being the Swordfish!...nutter!...:analintruder:

and yeah, compared to the cost of a Classic Airframes kit then it's money well spent because at least with the Tamiya offering you know it'll go together properly.

Your'e not wrong there Mate !!.There again its what the individual Modeller wants . Not seen one yet , but the release of the Storch , left me underwhelmed . Still there is always Broadhurst's to model hmmmm ....

Nah got enough ks in my stash even a jet or 20 :analintruder:

You can have one in your box by air parcel in about 10 business days for about 24.10£ or 34.35 EUR by Lucky Model in Hong Kong

http://www.luckymodel.com/scale.aspx?item_no=TA%2061100

By experience it is a cheap as reliable source.

But a 1/48th Storch, no thanks, not for me. Even if I'am really impressed by this Tamiya technological demonstration, the Storch is - as a subject - definitely not of my interest.

And finally I've to confess that though they are expensive I like building Classic Airframes kits because they usually present a true modelling challenge and original subjects. Be modeler not assembler.

VP

Edited by Homebee

You can have one in your box by air parcel in about 10 business days for about 24.10£ or 34.35 EUR by Lucky Model in Hong Kong

http://www.luckymodel.com/scale.aspx?item_no=TA%2061100

By experience it is a cheap as reliable source.

But a 1/48th Storch, no thanks, not for me. Even if I'am really impressed by this Tamiya technological demonstration, the Storch is - as a subject - definitely not of my interest.

And finally I've to confess that though they are expensive I like building Classic Airframes kits because they usually present a true modelling challenge and original subjects. Be modeler not assembler.

VP

So you don't assemble kits like the rest of us .Good for you Mate !!

CA do in fact present a challenge , but If I want a challenge I'll go abseiling . This is a Hobby which is multi- faceted so each to their own.

I find the Assembler / Modeller argument pathetic to say the least .