Rothmans Porsche 962c

Skii

'but Ayrton's McLaren is started'

which one are you doing if you dont mind me asking? I've got the 4/4 and 4/5B here in the stash. I really fancy getting the 1/12 Maclaren while it's been rereleased though.

'but Ayrton's McLaren is started'

which one are you doing if you dont mind me asking? I've got the 4/4 and 4/5B here in the stash. I really fancy getting the 1/12 Maclaren while it's been rereleased though.

Its the 4/5B, I have some a/m tobacco decals stashed and carbon fibre decals en route, lovely kit, so far falling together Tamiya stylee :D

I've just treated myself to the BIG 1/12th McLaren MP4/6 (bought it with birthday dosh), it's a kit I've lusted after for years.

I found one in Hong Kong on e-bay for a decent price. It arrived a couple of days ago and it's a gorgeous kit. I spent all night salivating over it , I can thoroughly recomend it.

I bought some Marlboro decals for it as well (also from e-bay) and I'm gonna be ordering some bits from Hiroboy for it, too.

I'm gonna need the FW-14b to go with it now, though. ;)

Excellent work on the cockpit John.

I guess riveting airframes is a useful cross-discipline technique ;)

I must learn how to do that.

On the clear front, I can thoroughly recommend Mr Gunze Top Coat clear for decalled bodies. Lay it on as thick as you like and it won't pull a China Syndrome on you.

I used it on my DBR9 and 612 Scagliettis and BMW M1 Carte de France builds. Great to work with straight from the can. Try it out, it's available at hiroboy.com

• 5 months later...

Well, a bit of an update here - the 962 went to the big plastic graveyard in the sky, after cutting back the lacquer and paint to the bare shell again a few more things didn't go my way and...well ... lets just say I gave in gracefully and admitted defeat,

however, this kind of spurred me on to continue the project, albeit with the car I originally wanted to do - the 956.

Steve at SNC Hobbies came to the rescue with the Tamiya 956 kit, although this is in the lovely 1985 Richard Lloyd racing livery , Steve threw in a set of Studio 27 Rothmans decals and the project was back on.

956box.jpg

The advantage of this kit is that a) its better in every way than the Revell offering and B) it has full engine detail - the rear of the bodyshell being removable to display the flat 12 twin turbo lump ...mmmmm :)

The only problem being this will probably not be completed in time for the end of the group build, but poo-poo happens.

so here is my second attempt at a bodyshell, this time I'm using the new Zero Rothmans blue which is considerably darker than the F1 Rothmans blue I initially purchased from Hiroboy...ooops, but at leat it matches the decals now.

Studio 27 decals went on very nicely with a splash of Microsol conformed to the curves very well indeed - so far so good :)

956shell1.jpg

956shell2.jpg

956shell3.jpg

Looking pretty good John ..I didn't realise you were going to do another kit

You could of had my one ..as I can't be bothered to build it :rofl:

:D

still - at least I've got a bit of engine detail to show off now mate ;)

J

• 2 weeks later...

Here is the work so far with the driver , painted with Vallejo game colours and using cut up decals for the stripes

driverpaint3.jpg

driverpaint2.jpg

I need to find a small Union Jack decal for the front of his helmet, and some small shell logos for his shoulders, any ideas for these greatly appreciated !

Looking good John ...Re Union Jack would a 1/35 scale be too big

yeah probably mate - Karl is going to very kindly have a bash at printing one for me ;)

• 1 month later...