My entry Yamaha YZRM1 Moto GP bike :FINISHED:

desmojen

Hello race fans!

What a perfect way to shrug off the winter no racing blues :yahoo:

I am going to attempt to do a decent job of building Tamiyas delicious rendition of the 2005 season Yamaha Moto GP bike.

288280446.jpg

Now, a more natural animal for me to be building would be a Ducati or a Kawasaki, but I've already built Troy Bayliss' Desmosedici and the Kawasaki wasn't out when I got this one.

I got the kit in Hong Kong last year for about a tenner, the main reason for purchase being the brilliant paintjob.

I liked the yellow/black Kenny Roberts reps they used in Laguna Seca that year, but the Valencia bikes are just so....Yamaha.

This one has markings for Colin Edwards bike which is fine by me, everyone else builds Rossi bikes anyway!

299314866.jpg

And here is my mini stash of delicacies to improve the flavour. From the Hiroboy corner we have some proper pearl white paint and matching laquer (which on it's own cost more than the kit) along with a couple of minor detail parts. Some metal thingies for the brake calipers, small tubing and datalogging transducer kits.

I might even get started this weekend :D

Jen.

Edited by desmojen

And the first progress pic....

Not much to report yet. I glued the major parts of the engine together and also glued the exhaust up. I clamped the exhausts into the cylinder head while the glue went off to ensure that they fit right. I also filled and sanded all the seam lines and ejector pin marks. I still have the main join lines to do now that it's all dry.

I noticed that Docs Kawasaki had some great big holes in the front forks, so on seeing the same holes in my forks I proceeded to fill mine with superglue. When I checked the instructions it transpires that only one of the holes will remain on view once it's all built anyway :lol:

The frame is glued up too, and filler added where necessary. I toyed with the idea of filling the engine seams as they are very visible, but I decided that I'd be getting into the law of diminishing returns with that one and left well alone.

299768940.jpg

I am now waiting. I have ordered some Alclad primer for all these shiny metal bits. In the meantime, I think I might pull the swingarm apart again and copy what Neil has done on his. I'm not worried about the frame because mine will be fitted with the bodywork.

Once the Alclad comes in I can have a massive priming and painting sesh.

Jen.

I noticed that Docs Kawasaki had some great big holes in the front forks, so on seeing the same holes in my forks I proceeded to fill mine with superglue.

Jen,

The holes in the Kwaka forks are just for locating the mudguard and bottom yolk. Just checked my M1 instuctions and the same applies, bottom hole for locating fork guard and top hole for installing the bottom yolk, which is split into 3 pieces. None of the holes will be visible on the completed bike.

Just been looking for pics of the M1 lump, this is the nearest so far :-

022702top.jpg

Cheers

Doc

Edited by Dr_Fester

• 1 month later...

Well I finally did a bit more! :lol:

Spent most of today on the bike, having black glossed a lot of stuff yesterday. I had to prime all the stuff that needed Alcladding because of the swirls in the plastic, which remain very visible if you Alclad straight over them. I used black gloss because it does make stuff look better although it isn't strictly necessary.

Unfortunately I can't post pics because my camera is in my room at Cosford. I took some pics with my mobile but they came out poo, so just words for now I'm afraid.

So, the engine parts, exhaust and rear brake disc were all Alcladded, I used six different shades in all! The engine was then built which is a breeze, some of it doesn't even need glue. The clutch had a lot of detail picked out by hand, and I painted all the bolt heads silver on the whole engine. I have not yet added any kind of wash, I'm in two minds as to whether to or not since these machines are kept pretty mint.

The rear disc had all its holes drilled out, and I drilled out the centre of the bobbins around the edge of the disc. I then lightly sanded the swept area and sprayed it with Alclad chrome. The disc was then masked and the centre painted Aluminium. Finally, I picked out the bobbins with Humbrol 11.

The exhaust had previously been filled along all the joins and ejector marks, and all the mould seams had been rubbed out. The gloss black base was overcoated with Gold, Titanium and Pale Burnt Metal in that order. It looks pretty cool as it is but I will add some blueing as titanium exhausts blue off really well. I didn't add any springs in the end, simply because none are visible on the completed article so it seemed pretty pointless.

The frame had also been filled and sanded as per exhaust. This was sprayed matt black and then some Klear was sprayed on to give it a satin finish. The engine has been attached for now for safe keeping. I have also sprayed the airbox and will have a practice at applying carbon decal to that (again its not visible on the finished model).

While I had the Klear out I glossed the wheels and have added the disc and tyre to the rear one. I managed to cock up the tyre decal so I'm off to Hiroboy in a minute to see if I can get some more.

The forks have had gold applied to the stanchions, and I have smoothed out the Milliput that I shoved in the inside of the swingarm. All in all, a good bit of progress and I'm really happy with the way it has turned out so far. I will get some pics up next weekend dudes :)

Jen.

• 4 weeks later...

A much needed update, this time Mit Photograffen!

I got the swingarm finished in the rubbing down department and then resprayed it black, finishing off with a coat of Klear to put a satin finish on it.

I then turned my attention to the rear shock, since mounting the swingarm requires the rear shock. The main body of the shock is in two halves to enable poly caps to be trapped inside, these hold onto the steel pin that is used as a shaft.

Once it was dried and sanded I painted the bits up with various Alclads and then touched up the lower rocker assembly with black. I was a bit peeved to note that the spring was black. Everyone knows Ohlins shocks have yellow springs right? Well, no, not right. On checking some pics I could see that both Colin and Valentino seem to use mainly black springs - bonus! And top marks to Tamiya for getting it right!

So, shock done I decided to fit the back end to the bike since it's less likely to get damaged that way ;)

One thing led to another and before I knew it...........

309320460.jpg

:lol: Don't you just love test fitting?

The forks are Alclad Pale Gold on the uppers, with Copper bottoms. I used gold Bare Metal Foil for the sliders. In this view you can see the engine and exhaust a bit better. I did wash the engine in the end to give a bit of definition and it does look better. The exhaust has yet to have any heat staining added and I still need to do a tiny bit of carbon decal in between the hanger straps.

309320421.jpg

So, now I'm at the stage where I need to do a whole load of detail painting and add wiring etc. There are also several decals to add on the frame and swingarm.

Jen.

Coming along spiffingly there Jen. :) .

So, now I'm at the stage where I need to do a whole load of detail painting and add wiring etc.

Jen.

The wiring is one of the things I am dreading.

B)

The wiring is one of the things I am dreading.

Up to my eyes in tubing, solder and wire as I speak ! :wacko:

Looking great so far Jen, Just used some of the Zero paint for the first time last night and I was mighty impressed with the stuff. If you still need some Michelin tyre decals you can have mine from the RC211 as I won't be fitting any. (building as per box photo which shows none fitted)

Keep posting the progress.

Doc

Up to my eyes in tubing, solder and wire as I speak ! :wacko:

Looking great so far Jen, Just used some of the Zero paint for the first time last night and I was mighty impressed with the stuff. If you still need some Michelin tyre decals you can have mine from the RC211 as I won't be fitting any. (building as per box photo which shows none fitted)

Keep posting the progress.

Doc

Oh, I'm not going to wire it up properly, my name isn't Doctor Neil! :lol:

Just the main stuff that's really visible for me thanks :D

If I can have your tyre decals I'd be really grateful Doc, Hiroboy list them, but they aren't in stock just now, plus I end up paying several English pounds for dozens of tyre transfers when I only need two!

had a quick blast of the Zero laquer myself the other day actually. Not sure if it's going to work at this stage :hmmm:

I think another pub meet is in order dude.

Jen.

had a quick blast of the Zero laquer myself the other day actually. Not sure if it's going to work at this stage :hmmm:

Jen.

Hi Jen

I gave up on the Zero lacquer as my mist coats end up like rough sand paper and my wet coats...well I can't even get them to work either ! I'm pretty sure its my airbrush and not the lacquer but I'd be interested to know who else gets the same issue, I'm just sold on Halfords spray can lacquer at the moment, once you get the hand of using it it really is wonderful !

John

Hi Jen

I gave up on the Zero lacquer as my mist coats end up like rough sand paper and my wet coats...well I can't even get them to work either ! I'm pretty sure its my airbrush and not the lacquer but I'd be interested to know who else gets the same issue, I'm just sold on Halfords spray can lacquer at the moment, once you get the hand of using it it really is wonderful !

John

I get similar issues with the zero single coat laquer John, & also frequently get a white 'blush' (for want of a better description!) in it as well. I still like the stuff though as it rubs out really well - even if that is hard work!

Bike's looking really good Jen - how come there are so many talented bike builders here then? Something in the water....??!!

Some really great builds going on in this GB. Can't say the same for mine.... :shrug:

Keef

• 3 months later...

Having been given a kick in my generous behind by Deezer, I have advanced progress with my Yamaha a bit. I now have an essentially complete rolling chassis :thumbsup:

326237574.jpg

326237569.jpg

326237575.jpg

326237572.jpg

326237570.jpg

To get it here I've done the heat staining on the exhaust (which, predictably enough hardly shows on the photos! :shrug:), built and painted all the bits for the front wheel and brakes, done the handlebars and dash, made painted and fitted the rear brake caliper and added the hoses. I've used some of my aftermarket clear hose for the master cylinders which I tinted green with some clear green paint. The other aftermarket parts in evidence are the tiny machined aluminium front brake caliper spacers. Other than that it is all as supplied by Tamiya.

There are still a few bits to add to completely finish the chassis, but nothing major.

I rubbed all the seams down on the bodywork last night so I will be priming that today. I just hope I don't spoil the model with the panels because I'm really pleased with how it's looking so far :D

Jen.