I got an F-4 Phantom

dahut

I was scroungin' aroound on eBay recently, lowballing and just seeing what was popping up. Lo and behold, up comes a Monogram F-4J in 1:48, the venerable "Showtime 100, Mig Killer" issue. Price wasn't bad at that point.

Well, all this talk around here of Phantoms and Spooks and Rhino's got my finger itching, so I put a little snipe bid on the thing - and WON!

Me, I like the Monogram jets. Sure they're not Tamigawa, but they build up nice with a little work and dont cost near as much. I gotta confess that I'm looking forward to seeing it. I built one of the AMT F-4's way back when, and this should be interesting.

Ssssssh, dont tell Bex about this....

Edited by dahut

The Monogram F-4s are still pretty good, though not as good or accurate as the Hasegawa kits.

They do build up well, despite the fit problems. Note that the Mon. F-4J does not have the correct cockpit, mainly aft. After market cockpits made for The Hasegawa F-4 do not fit the Monogram kits. I've seen quite a few stabs at it, none successful.

The last Monogram F-4 I built (some 8 years ago: F-4C) I pitched the seats, as they just did not have the proper look. I added True Details MK7s, but because Monogram made the cockpit sidewalls too narrow and the floor is too shallow, I ended up rebuilding the whole cockpit console sides and floor just to get the seats to fit. Never again, but the end result turned out nice.

One more thing, you'll need to get correct F-4J wheels as well, since the kit has F-4C/D wheels.

Other than that, it's a pretty decent kit to build.

Mike V

Thanks for the tip on the seat.

Psssst, dont tell anyone, but Ill probably work with it as is. Oh, Ill add some fiddly bits and spruce things up here and there. But mostly Ill just busy it up and close the canopy.

As for the wheels, well, allow me a bit of blasphemy.... who's gonna know?

Welcome to the dark side............. :evil_laugh::evil_laugh::evil_laugh:

Ah hah, David I have seen your thread, youve been rumbled. Im so looking forwards to seeing this Phantom Phinished, as Phil said, Welcome to the Dark Side :evil_laugh::hypnotised:

Bexybones

You will love phantoms, You will love phantoms,You will love phantoms,You will love phantoms Ok ya hynotized yet :hypnotised::hypnotised:. If I ever do a US Navy Rhino it won't be Showtime 100, that has got to be Ipod of navy phantoms every where ya go ya see one.

Edited by Angels49

You will love phantoms, You will love phantoms,You will love phantoms,You will love phantoms Ok ya hynotized yet :hypnotised::hypnotised:. If I ever do a US Navy Rhino it won't be Showtime 100, that has got to be Ipod of navy phantoms every where ya go ya see one.

Ditto. Im leaning towards an RAF/RN model in the early schemes of DG/OG or DSG/W, or some of the later OAG ones. Stuff like this:

0912592.jpg

or this

xv567.jpg

or this

0960766.jpg

or this

0957770.jpg