RAF by Roy Conyers Nesbit

dylan the rabbit

I just received a copy of this as a present from my parents:

516AykzrfxL._AA240_.jpg

As a shameless plug, it's a really nice book, and a great illustrated history of the RAF, filled with some fantastic pictures and paintings of most of the aircraft used since their inception, right up to modern day.

Great stuff, and highly recommended.

Nick

... although (as with so many books) it kinda gives the impression that history almost ends in 1945. I've never quite worked-out why authors seem to like dwelling on ancient history when there are generations of people growing up who think the 1960's are pre-history now!

• 1 month later...

One reason could be that there was an awful lot more happening between 1939-45 than since. Wider spread across the world, much greater variety of types; for the modeller many more variants of each type and different colour schemes and markings.

Which is no excuse for avoiding the last 60 years altogether, but might indicate why WW2 gets what some see as disproportionate attention.

Another reason could be that although younger enthusiasts may be ignorant of earlier times, there's no good argument for keeping them that way!