Hurricane BD707 - Airfix 1:48

Think you could do a 1/35 Tigger in 12hrs Bexie?

Pete von Slowpanzerbuilder

Panzer Pete, Im not sure, the fastest aircraft build have been 1/48, I certainly wouldnt speed build a 1/32 bird thats for sure, :lol: my Pox Ridden Tonka is an example of that :whistle:

Bex von Speedy :cow6:

Wonderful tribute build Bex! Having seen an airshow disaster myself in person (Frecce Tricolori at Ramstein) I can relate to wanting to pay tribute.

Also, on the subject of Hurricanes and Spits that are flyable, I think it comes down to the sheer number of Spits produced as opposed to Hurricanes. I also have to wonder if the wooden construction of a large part of the Hurricane makes it more difficult to restore correctly. In the end, I personally LOVE the Hurricane much more than the Spitty. I think its historical significance has been overshadowed somewhat like the P-47 as opposed to the P-51.

Heck with all of them though!! Give me a Typhoon or Tempest anyday!! I hail them as the sexiest airplanes of WWII :)

Wonderful tribute build Bex! Having seen an airshow disaster myself in person (Frecce Tricolori at Ramstein) I can relate to wanting to pay tribute.

Also, on the subject of Hurricanes and Spits that are flyable, I think it comes down to the sheer number of Spits produced as opposed to Hurricanes. I also have to wonder if the wooden construction of a large part of the Hurricane makes it more difficult to restore correctly. In the end, I personally LOVE the Hurricane much more than the Spitty. I think its historical significance has been overshadowed somewhat like the P-47 as opposed to the P-51.

Heck with all of them though!! Give me a Typhoon or Tempest anyday!! I hail them as the sexiest airplanes of WWII :)

Thanks Mike Heidi (xxLouisexx) found me another Hurricane fairly cheap so I thought Id do BD707 now, especially as I needed a break from the Tonka, and I used it for testing new ideas (for me) such as exhaust stains, use of Micro Sol on the decals, and the Stuka Im building will be weathered to practice that before I go back to the Tonka, then I might build one more model before applying the lessons learnt back to the Tonka.

I agree that there was more Spittys built, and youre right how other more famous aircraft overshadowed the work by the main aircraft, as you say about the P47 v P51, only people like us, and Warbird Nuts know about the P47's role as a ground attack bird.

My "Best Friend" as a kid, was a test pilot during WW2, he tested the Typhoon after the tail structural failures.

Bexybones

• 6 months later...

hi, just going to resurrect this thread briefly- I have just started building the Hasegawa hurricane to build BD707! great to see someone else has had the same idea! I wanted to do something as a tribute to Brian Brown, and thought what better than a 1:48 Hurricane to take centre stage in my cabinet?! It'll certainly be a departure from the spits!!!

Well done on your one! looks really good!

Nice to see this one dug out again, thanks Matt :thumbsup2: And I look forwards to seeing you BD707. You going to Shoreham this year?

Bex

Wouldn't miss it for the world! it's my local, so there's no way i can miss it!!! Looks like it's gonna be a stunning show again this year!

In that case Matt, me & the Old Farts will be taking our Vintage Fire Engine on the 31st as we have a Fire Station Open Day to attend at Haywards Heath the day before. Have to have a meet up if your around then :thumbsup2:

Bex

Very nice Hurricane. :goodjob: Hopefully Mr Brown is flying Hurricanes somewhere in the next world. :poppy:

Very nice Hurricane. :goodjob: Hopefully Mr Brown is flying Hurricanes somewhere in the next world. :poppy:

Thanks Tizzy, I really hope he is :poppy:

Bex

'ow in 'ell did I miss this!!.....great job ol' mum... ;)

Thanks everyone :thumbsup2:

:clif: I have no idea, but Im glad you decided to join the party in the end :yahoo::tease::wub:

Bex

i'll have to see if i am around on the 31st then- may not be tho, as i am possibly ghost-hunting on the 30th in the evening. If i am around, then we'll have to have a meet up :thumbsup2:

i have set the 30th as the deadline for finishing my version of BD707- want it done by the shoreham airshow... I will try and get some shots of her up on here tomorrow. I've preshaded the underside, and so will be painting underneath tomorrow!

Great little build there Bex, looks like fun. :speak_cool: ..nice touch with the tribute idea, saw the whole thing on friends home video , very tragic.. .. seen too many of these over the years, always makes you feel sick inside!! lost 2 of my work colleagues in a helimed crash at Rochester airport some years ago , never want to witness something like that again !!

Must try and finish a model in quick time just can't find a quick model :banghead:

great job (where's the ruddy Vulcan) !!!!!

Andy

great job (where's the ruddy Vulcan) !!!!!

Andy

Thanks everyone, it was a really pleasurable build, and it felt right building it too all things considered, although a little weird, but, Im proud that Ive done it for a man of great skill and honour :worthy::worthy::worthy::crying:

Andy, gonna finish it Thursday night for delivery to Dad on Friday :thumbsup2:

Bex