FGR 2 Question

seanrgb

Just got hold of the Aweful Revell/Hasewaga 1/48 kit

Does anyone have any pictures of XV470 In 92 Sqd

I have one as my screen saver taking off from Cyprus ,

but I was wondering If there were any other pictures of her on the Web

Cheers Sean

What's up with you sean??? Hasegawa kit is the mutts nutts.. showing it's age a bit now but still a good kit... as they say.. a bad mechanic blames his tools.. :analintruder:

Dont do a 56 Sqn one.. so boring and so comman.. have a look at other Sqn's... :speak_cool:

Cheers,

Neil

Ha Ha Neil

I got plans for it , its a definite Grey coloured one

but hopefully a used and abused looker

I dont rate the Hase kits at all , they should of made the Shell like the Tammy kits

I've tried 3 Hase kits in the past , 2 of then were binned

And I will say theres not much hope for this one either

but I'll give it a go :rofl::rofl:

Ha Ha Neil

I got plans for it , its a definite Grey coloured one

but hopefully a used and abused looker

Best Grey echeme/markings to me were 23 sqn PRE Falklands with the Eagle on the forward fuselage and the Red/Blue bands top of the tail - Jobs Oxo

I wouldn't call it an awful kit. True, I've had two Revell 1/48 FGR.2's that I've had to bin, but that's been my own screw-ups with paint rather than problems with the kit. I've got two more in the pile - one is going to be an RN FG.1 and the other an RAF Grey/Green FGR.2. Then I've got the Italeri F-4J to build as an F-4J(UK), and I'll have all three.

I know the Italeri kit isn't as good as the Hasegawa F-4J, but its a lot cheaper and I'm keen to see how good a model I can make from it. It doesn't look too bad on initial inspection. A bit of PE and a pair of spare Revell/Hasegawa MB Mk.7 bang-seats (with PE details) should have it looking spiffing.

I do have one question though: For the FGR.2, I'd like to do it with some rocket pods (cleverly pinched from a pair of Airfix Harrier GR.3s) or some BL.755's (cleverly pinched from an Airfix Jaguar) but I'm not sure what the racks should be. I'm assuming they're not standard TERs, so does anyone have any good reference photos to scratch build, or better still does anyone know where I can get some ready-built racks?

I do have one question though: For the FGR.2, I'd like to do it with some rocket pods (cleverly pinched from a pair of Airfix Harrier GR.3s) or some BL.755's (cleverly pinched from an Airfix Jaguar) but I'm not sure what the racks should be. I'm assuming they're not standard TERs, so does anyone have any good reference photos to scratch build, or better still does anyone know where I can get some ready-built racks?

Well early RAF Phantoms did carry TER's and I'm hoping they are the ones as supplied in the Hasegawa weapons set, cos that's what I'm using anyway. On my other computer I have a close up of a TER fitted on the F4J at Duxford. I'll try and post it for you later.

Well early RAF Phantoms did carry TER's and I'm hoping they are the ones as supplied in the Hasegawa weapons set, cos that's what I'm using anyway. On my other computer I have a close up of a TER fitted on the F4J at Duxford. I'll try and post it for you later.

That would be great, thanks. I have a few TERs from the Hasegawa weapons set, so if they're correct I'm sorted, although I may well scratch build some more as I currently have 4 and projects have accounted for at least 6 so far!

I seem to remember that the RAF TER's only carried 2x bombs per TER.Check out that link in resources to thunder & lightnings.Some excellent reference foto's there of the Toom!

Merv

I've seen the photos and you're right, they do only seem to carry two. That suits me, as I only have 4 rocket pods and 4 BL.755s (I've not decided which to do yet)

Bombs possibly but 3 SNEB pods could be carried. I have quite a few reference photos of RAF Phantoms to back that up, It may be that for standard operational roles, 2 SNEB pods per TER were preferred (mine will only carry 2) but it looks like they could also carry 3 when they wanted/needed?

FGR2s used a CBTE (Carrier, Bomb, Triple Ejector) which was a 'non standard' rack, this could carry up to 3 x SNEB pods and could alternatively carry up to 3 x BL755s or 2 x 1000 lb bombs. It was usually fitted to the inboard pylons although photographs also show racks fitted to the centre and outboard pylons (just fo show probably).

I have no evidence to suggest that the CBTE was that much different from the TER supplied in the Hasegawa Weapons set

HTH

Rich

Just got hold of the Aweful Revell/Hasewaga 1/48 kit

Does anyone have any pictures of XV470 In 92 Sqd

I have one as my screen saver taking off from Cyprus ,

but I was wondering If there were any other pictures of her on the Web

Cheers Sean

Ahem, if you're doing XV470 in 92 squadron markings......no bombs or SNEBs where ever used......maybe a wild assumption, if so....I'll get me coat.

Aweful kit? Go and stand on the naughty stair for 30 minutes......jeesh! :whip:

The RAF used two types of SNEB pods.Identical in evert way,just the internal gubbins was different.The only way to tell the difference was one was silver & the other green.

Cheers for the extra information. Would the Phantom have carried AIM-9s as well as TERs loaded with SNEBs/BL.755s, or would the missiles be left off?

Basically the Phantom started its RAF service life as a Mud mover, but transitioned into an air defence fighter, different stores for different roles. When the Jaguar arrived in 1973, they stared to replace Phantoms in the ground attack role, freeing the Phantoms up to replace the Lightnings in the air defence role. So, no very doubtful that an aircraft would have carried TER's and AIM's in the same load - don't think it would have been necessary anyway, because they had 3 Sparrow missiles for self defence (given that the port forward would carry the strike camera), plus I don't believe the inner points could effectively do what the Tornado hard points do, and allow both to be carried together.

But what Rich said is valid if you want to build a 92 sqn kite - this was an air defence squadron, so no bombs, TER's etc.

Basically the Phantom started its RAF service life as a Mud mover, but transitioned into an air defence fighter, different stores for different roles. When the Jaguar arrived in 1973, they stared to replace Phantoms in the ground attack role, freeing the Phantoms up to replace the Lightnings in the air defence role. So, no very doubtful that an aircraft would have carried TER's and AIM's in the same load - don't think it would have been necessary anyway, because they had 3 Sparrow missiles for self defence (given that the port forward would carry the strike camera), plus I don't believe the inner points could effectively do what the Tornado hard points do, and allow both to be carried together.

But what Rich said is valid if you want to build a 92 sqn kite - this was an air defence squadron, so no bombs, TER's etc.

I got most of that info from some books I've been reading on the Phantom, but thanks anyway. I just wasn't sure on combinations of weapons etc as its the one thing that I don't have any definitive information on.

I think 4 SNEBs on a pair of TERs, 3 Sparrows, a combat camera and a centreline fuel tank sounds like a good one to do...

Oh I don't know...the old Hasegawa kit doesn't make a bad model...but it could do with some good sidewinders

FGRMk2Gallery013a.jpg