Finemolds 1:48 X-Wing

Mike

Any modeller with an interest in Star Wars who was around for the original release will remember the old MPC kits of the original films with mixed feelings, and if you've kept up with the times, you'll know of the 1:72 scale series that Fine Molds of Japan brought out over the last few years. I have a number of these smaller kits in my stash, but missed the sheer size of the old MPC kits, which have sadly been out of production now for many years.

Although my Sci-Fi modelling days are back in the 80s, when I heard about the new larger scale X-Wing before Christmas, I immediately put my order in at HLJ to secure one of the first batch. Growing up in the late 70s, this sort of thing is in my psyche, so I just had to have one.

First thing of note is the compact size of the box (great for shipping half way across the world!). A lot of companies could take a leaf out of Fine Molds' book & do their bit save the planet, and reduce the apparent size (if not numbers) of our stashes. Here's the box:

box.jpg

It's a nice painting, and very enticing glossy top-opening box. Opening it up reveals 4 full size sprues in grey styrene, and 2 smaller sprues that build up into a nifty adjustable stand... AND supply you with a Luke figure.

sprue1.jpg

sprue2.jpg

sprue3.jpg

There are two of the sprue in the picture above.

stand.jpg

There's a separate clear sprue for the canopy, which is a one piece affair, so anyone hoping to pose it in the open position will need take their lives in their hands to cut theirs.

canopy.jpg

There are two sheets of "decals" - one sheet of waterslide decals that we're used to, and another slightly yellow looking sheet of stickers, presumably aimed at the youngsters that may not even paint their X-Wing. The decals are in register, nicely detailed and pre-worn, but they look like they may be a little thick. Of note is the decal provided for the canopy framing. I certainly won't be using it on my kit, as I can imagine it being a swine to get to fit & settle down!

decals.jpg

The final inclusion is a bag of polycaps, which are used to give you the choice of raised or lowered landing gear, and a number of screws, which are used in coupling the wing assembly to the body, and the two halves of the body together. The screw holes are then covered over with carefully planned drop-in panels, which match perfectly with existing panels. Very clever! :)

polycaps.jpg

Detail is good on the outside, with fine recessed panel lines, and plenty of the "Sci-Fi busy" parts that the original trilogy brought to popularity.

detail1.jpg

There are a few sink marks on the kit, most noticeably on the thick tail cap area shown above. Nothing that a competent beginner couldn't resolve with some putty & sanding sticks though.

detail2.jpg

The cockpit is a simple affair, relying mainly on decals for detail. It is a small area however, and a Luke Skywalker figure is provided in a seated position, so the lack of raised detail probably won't matter to all but the advanced modeller.

cockpit.jpg

Of course, everyone wants to know how Luke looks. Honest answer? Like a guy in a helmet, with the visor down, so you can't tell it's him. R2-D2? He looks just fine, and they thoughtfully provide you with a spare Dome so that he can be in two places at once.

luke.jpg

r2.jpg

The instruction booklet and painting guide are concise, if a little busy. The placement of some parts might require a little study of the pages, as a lot seems to be happening at each stage of the build. It doesn't help that I don't read Japanese, either! One classic "Ingerish" moment is to be had, where they show a pot with a line through, to indicate not to cement the parts together (the wings, which can be left to move!). The legend on the pot says "Grue" - someone's obviously spelt that one phonetically! :lol:

Does it look like an X-Wing? Well, I became quite familiar with the shape of it during my childhood, and have built two of the MPC kits, so to me it looks like an X-Wing. The details are there, and given the still fairly small size of the kit, it will build up nicely out of the box, pleasing many a Star Wars fan in the process.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...