RAF P-47D Thunderbolt I and II

Mark

"It's a dull day at Southwick Model Centre but that hasn't detered the modeller today. Well now, as we go over to the workbench, the inspiration was received, kits have been found, references read, options agreed and the decals ordered. The coffee's brewed and the last moments are here. They're under starters orders, the atmosphere here is tense, the box lids are open, and they're off!!"

Yes, at last I'm actually building a bloody kit! Well, two actually!

The kits in question are the Tamiya P-47D 'Bubbletop' and 'Razorback' to be finished as RAF Thunderbolts, a Mk.I and a Mk.II. The markings will be from Freightdogs "Brits Abroad - Immediate Post-War RAF' sheet, hopefully coming through the letterbox soon!

So, sorry I can't hang around, I've got modelling to do!! I'll post as fast as I can model! All I need now is some inspiration on where to point the iPod amongst the 11,500 songs that are on it!! Decisions, decisions.... :wacko:

See you all later!

Edited by busdriver

"It's a dull day at Southwick Model Centre but that hasn't detered the modeller today. Well now, as we go over to the workbench, the inspiration was received, kits have been found, references read, options agreed and the decals ordered. The coffee's brewed and the last moments are here. They're under starters orders, the atmosphere here is tense, the box lids are open, and they're off!!"

Yes, at last I'm actually building a bloody kit! Well, two actually!

The kits in question are the Tamiya P-47D 'Bubbletop' and 'Razorback' to be finished as RAF Thunderbolts, a Mk.I and a Mk.II. The markings will be from Freightdogs "Brits Abroad - Immediate Post-War RAF' sheet, hopefully coming through the letterbox soon!

So, sorry I can't hang around, I've got modelling to do!! I'll post as fast as I can model! All I need now is some inspiration on where to point the iPod amongst the 11,500 songs that are on it!! Decisions, decisions.... :wacko:

See you all later!

Decals will be in the post tomorrow!

Well, I don't know about your evening, but mine was great!! The cockpit tubs are completed, but it's a bit too late to post pics tonight to prove it. But I've definitely got the bug back!! :thumbsup:

Without venturing too far into the realms of the rivet counter, do any of you know which gunsights are applicable to the Thunderbolt I and II? There's three different ones supplied in the kit, but then does it really matter when I'm having fun?

Edited by busdriver

Oh well, after a very productive evening, I decided to get the camera out and take some pics of the progress so far. In fact I went further and thought I'd do what I've always wanted to do and get a modelling website up and running (as if there aren't enough already!)

So I registered the domain, did a bit of PC magic and you can see the results at www.marksmodels.net

Well, you could if the server wasn't down!!! :shithappens:

OK, sorry about the delay, but here they are, all four of them, hope the wait was worth it. Sorry? Did I not mention that I was now building all four? :mental:

Oh well, I am. Yep, got the bug back and thought 'why not?' But in keeping with the fine traditions of Britmodeller, all four will be UK themed. There's the two RAF ones, then two USAF ones that were based in England during WWII.

Tamiya_P47D_Razorback_cockp.jpg

P47D_razorback_bubbletop_co.jpg

Four_P47D_cockpits.jpg

Oh yeah, I forgot that the OOB idea went out of the window a while back! I got so engrossed and thought that I'd tart the cockpits up a bit with a bit of fine solder. But i'm not going to go crazy on these, I'll just add some Eduard etched belts and some Minimeca tubing (thanks Pete!) to replace the prominent gun barrels. Apart from that it'll be just the after market decals (thanks Colin!) and they'll be done, well, hopefully soon... Right back to work... :whip:

Edited by busdriver

Hi Nick, well, I thought I'd just get on and do some serious modelling rather than just talk about it!

Right, it's the weekend! Wheel wells and engines next... :thumbsup:

Thanks guys! I've been busy today doing the engines and all the Zinc Chromate ares are now speayed, wheel wells etc. Will finish off the engines tomorrow and post some more pics. Thanks to Phil @ Promodeller and the IPMS Stockholm website I now know the interior colour of the engine cowling and it is not Zinc Chromate! (Cheers Phil! looking forward to trying out that washy stuff of yours!)

Now off to the pub... :drink:

Right, back from the pub! Off to bed for an early start at those R2800s or off to The shed to continue now.... Hmmm, tempting! I've definitely got the bug back and it's biting!!!

Thanks for the comments guys, I think I'll let sense prevail and continue tomorrow.... night all! :pilot:

Edited by busdriver

Evenin' all...

Yes, life at Southwick Model Centre conttinues and this weekend saw a brief flurry of activity; the P-47s are coming along nicely. But why did I decide to do four of them? :fraidnot:

Anyway, here are the latest pics. As you can see, the OOB idea has been long forgotten!! :banghead:

Tamiya_P47D_Razorback_1.jpg

Tamiya_P47D_bubbletop_1.jpg

P-47D_Razorback_R2800_1.jpg

P-47D_Razorback_R2800.jpg

P-47D_Razorback_R2800_all_f.jpg

In researching the Wright R2800, I found so many wonderful pictures that I could not resist to 'enhance' the kit engine and I hope that the results are ok. I've just got the other three to do now!!

Many thanks must go to my fluffy, furry mate Dylan (Nick) who gave me the idea for the copper wiring. :winkgrin:

Oh, and to those of you who gave me the initial inspiration in my initial post, a big :hbd: (well, they don't have a Thank You smiley here, so that's the best I could do!!)

They say that a little knowledge is a dangerous thing and that was certainly the case this afternoon as I scoured the Internet looking for photographs and details of the full-size Wright R2800 engine. I came across some great images but after studying them I realised that my efforts to scale the engine details down to 1/48th somehow did not look right; the ignition wires on my engine seemed far too fine compared to the photographs.

So the rest of the day was spent scouring the electrical department of the local B&Q to find some suitable solid copper wire. It turned out that telephone cbale is about right!

So armed with about 25m of the slightly thicker wire and as much patience as I could muster, I set about taking the weekend's work apart and replacing the ignition harness with the new wire.

I'm glad that I did as the result is, I think, a much more realistic look not to mention a tidier finish too!

600_P-47D_Razorback_R2800_3.jpg

I've just got the other four to do now! :mental:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone! Well, things have slowed down a bit due to work and a weekend away in Belfast. All four engines are now wired and detailed, the Eduard photo etch belts are now adorning the seats and tomorrow work continues, hopefully with the joining of the fuselage halves.

The decals for the two USAF aircraft arrived during the week and so it's decision time.... Trouble is that all the schemes look so bloody good!

Hi everyone! Well, things have slowed down a bit due to work and a weekend away in Belfast. All four engines are now wired and detailed, the Eduard photo etch belts are now adorning the seats and tomorrow work continues, hopefully with the joining of the fuselage halves.

The decals for the two USAF aircraft arrived during the week and so it's decision time.... Trouble is that all the schemes look so bloody good!

Be patriotic for God's sake man!