oooohhh Look what i saw today

Takamota

Had a run up to Kinloss this afternoon. Traffic problems caused me to be well late!

Saw these arrive though. Lovely to watch.

Mirage-F1-261-30-QY-flyover.jpg

Mirage-F1-261-30-QY-taxy3.jpg

Mirage-F1-272-30-QZ-taxy4.jpg

And a local in lovely winter sunshine

XV254-nimrod-taxy.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Those top three are pretty French thingies... Mirages, I see. f-1's.

I thought the French got a new plane; the Rafale, right?

Edited by dahut

Thanks for the pics, always good to see a Mirage F-1.

huh?

Really?

Can you confirm?

Well here I go again, with my foot stuck firmly in my mouth. I thought the Rafale had replaced the Mirages and such, but that seems not to eb the case - yet. Will they?

Had replaced??? For the moment there are only two combat capable squadron equipped with the rafale, at St Dizier with the 7e EC.

The future is not really clear at the moment for the Mirage F-1, but he's still there.

There'll not be a fully rafale equipped AdA before 2015.

Well here I go again, with my foot stuck firmly in my mouth. I thought the Rafale had replaced the Mirages and such, but that seems not to eb the case - yet. Will they?

Don't worry David you were right the first time. Rafale entered service with the French Navy in 2002, replacing the Crusader and going on to replace the Super Etendard. And it entered service with the the French Air Force in 2006, replacing the Jag and Mirage IV and should eventually replace the Mirage F1 and M2000 aswell!

Don't worry David you were right the first time. Rafale entered service with the French Navy in 2002, replacing the Crusader and going on to replace the Super Etendard. And it entered service with the the French Air Force in 2006, replacing the Jag and Mirage IV and should eventually replace the Mirage F1 and M2000 aswell!

Right then, Mr Draken. Ive not seen the French when they didn't make a plane - and then use it themselves! I was pretty sure the Rafale was doing something, but I dont keep up to date, well, either. Shhot, I'm pleasedif I can identify one correctly :) Thats why I ask so many questions of you folks... you all have forgotten more than I'm likely to know!

Edited by dahut

Ah fair enough, just read somewhere that the Rafale would fulfill the strategic recce role later on in it's life.

It would replace the F-1CR in the tactical recce role, but I'm curious to know where you read about replacing the Mirage IV.

They play in a different category.

Why not use the Mirage 2000D or N in the Strategic Recce role?? Its a great platform for it. Maybe its legs are too short and the Rafale has longer range??

For the moment, they're thinking about giving an air2air capability to the 2000D.

The 2000N replaced the IV in the nuclear strike role, but not in the strategic recce role.

There is simply no aircraft to replace the IVP in this role, even the Rafale.

I think the RAF has the same kind of problem when the canberra PR9 was retired. And the IVP was a mach2 class aircraft.

Which aircraft replaced the canberra in the RAF???

Pardon my ignorance on the matter, but hasn't the strategic end of recce fallen mostly into the jurisdiction of sattelites and UAVs over the past decade or so?

At least for some times, there was still a gap to cover, and it was done by aircraft like canberra or mirage IVP.

The IVP proved its worth during the Kosovo crisis in the late 90's.

I think this gap still exist today, but the main problem was the cost to keep those aircraft flying.