Dragon Ladies

And here they are:

U2Hulls.jpg

Canopies are now fitted - but condensationed up, as there's water inside bothe fuselages.

Describing the pilots to a colleague, I explained how the modern (>1980ish) Airfix jet pilot is great for F-16s etc.

BUT although the Airfix U-2 contains 2 pilots, it doesn't really reproduce the helmet used in either type of U-2.

For this U2 I scraped the goggles off, and tried to paint the face opening as a V shape.

For the TR-1, in a full astronaut suit, I stirred the polit's head in a bottle of humbrol Clearfix a few times.

After about 6 or 7 times - it looked like he had a goldfish bowl on his head. Then painted with a black aperature.

Here's the best photo my camera has been able to take of them.

U2Pilots.jpg

Hopefully getting the airbrush going on these tomorrow!

Airbrush and weather in perfect harmony today (Gloucestershire) - and here's the results:

Airfix U-2A painted Gloss Grey:

U2Apainted.jpg

And Special Hobby TR-1A painted Gloss Black:

TR1Apainted.jpg

Both ready for decals next week - then dull down and finishing

Excellent job, very nice collection of U-2s you have there, any plans for a 4th? :whistling:

Would be interested to know if you left the Airfix raised panel lines, rescribed or just sanded them all off?

Beautiful work there - I like the finish on the TR1a actually, the lightened patches look most authentic !

Excellent job, very nice collection of U-2s you have there, any plans for a 4th? :whistling:

Would be interested to know if you left the Airfix raised panel lines, rescribed or just sanded them all off?

No plans for a 4th Airfix U-2 - all the box decal options are now completed.

4th U-2 is my Special Hobby TR-1a. Jury is out on the matt finish for that one.

There isn't much panel lining on the Airfix kit, and a lot of that was lost in sanding the part joints.

Definitely NO rescribing though.

Lovely collection you have there. I too thought the patchy look of the dodgy matt varnish helped to impart a weathered look on the TR1.

All in though, nice set of aircraft in very different colours, great!