Wildenrath Phantoms

rdxtnt

PHANTASTIC PHOOTAGE!!!!!!!

Ive just gone all misty eyed watching these superb video clips.....how the heck do I go about getting all those onto a DVD?

Thanks for posting Gary....you've just made my day big time!

Rich R

PHANTASTIC PHOOTAGE!!!!!!!

Ive just gone all misty eyed watching these superb video clips.....how the heck do I go about getting all those onto a DVD?

Thanks for posting Gary....you've just made my day big time!

Rich R

That first clip is awesome isn't it............... when they bank overhead with the burners lit?

Well thats made my day, Phantoms galore, gratuitous Cranberrys and even Frightnings thrown in, thanks for sharing :worthy:

Bex von VellyHappyBunny

These brought back some memories; I used to work in one of the hangars that they keep taxiing past. Noisy buggers, fantastic to watch though (better than working!).

A good buddy of mine was supposed to be on the parade in one of the video's, but woke up in a phone booth, drunk as a skunk, outside a brothel just down the road. He got away with it as two of the troop Sergeants were in there with him!

I was there when it closed and have been back a couple of times since. The change is unbelievable. Most of the buildings have gone and a German Rail Company have built a huge test track on the site. Kept the golf course though!

Wildenrath.jpg

You can see the hardened shelters that the Phantoms were safely tucked up in at the bottom of the picture.

Awesome Gary...thanks so much for posting these great films. Brings back good memorieswhen I visited my brother Chris who was at Wildenrath in 1980 and my visit to Battle Flight and the 92 Sqn dispersals / HAS complex. I've a few pics on my own site: www.geoffcoughlin.com Nothing as good as this, but still some memories for us all there!

I don't suppose there's any chance of getting any stills of these superb F-4s?

Very best wishes, Geoff :analintruder:

Awesome Gary...thanks so much for posting these great films. Brings back good memorieswhen I visited my brother Chris who was at Wildenrath in 1980 and my visit to Battle Flight and the 92 Sqn dispersals / HAS complex. I've a few pics on my own site: www.geoffcoughlin.com Nothing as good as this, but still some memories for us all there!

I don't suppose there's any chance of getting any stills of these superb F-4s?

Very best wishes, Geoff :analintruder:

Glad you enjoyed them Geoff but I'm afraid they weren't taken by me. They were posted by a guy named Bernd Strerath on the UK Airshow Review website in November 2006. I stumbled across them whilst surfing a couple of nights ago. I've no idea who Bernd was but I'd sure sure like to thank him for posting them for everyone to enjoy :)

I was surprised to learn that Phantoms flew with the RAF and RN, F-4M's and K's, respectively. I was always of the mind that the Brits managed their own aircraft needs... hell, you guys were pioneers in the whole aviation mess in the first place! When I learned that the F-4 was counted among the planes flown by Brittania, well... I was stirred from my normal stupor, just a little.

As it turns out, I may be the only person on earth who isn't infatuated with Phantoms. Great ponderous beasties, to my eye, they seem to prove the point that even a bathtub will fly if you give it a big enough kick in the rear. This is contrary to the Phantoms success and prowess, I know - no one has to remind me. It is just something about the Great Guzzling Galoot that ticks me away to look at something else. According to my count ,11 nations flew the F-4, so you can't dispute that.

I haven't really looked into the whole Phantom - RAF/RN connection until lately. It seems the MOD deemed it cheaper and simpler to just "Buy American" back in the 60's and retire things like the Sea Vixen and Hunter. Indigenous designs like the BAC TSR-2 strike aircraft and the supersonic V/STOL Hawker Siddeley P.1154 were binned, although I gather these homegrown designs were actually preferred by the military folks. The purchasing people tossed a bone or two and stuck in Spey engines and other Brit Bits, but most feel the politico's muggered up the British Aerospace industry for decades with their decision. Still sort of baffling, if you ask me. This is how I gather most of the Brit Rhino's ended their days:

Phantom1289778.jpg

Edited by dahut

For anyone that hasn't looked at his other video's - on the far right when you view a seleceted video - take a look at em all. Not a bad one there! He obvisoulsy had a privilaged job.

I remember there were quite a few German civvies employed on the camp in all sorts of jobs......... drivers, stores, cleaners etc. Perhaps he was one of them? It must have been a hell of a blow to the local communities around the bases when they were closed.