Academy 1/48 F-111. New day for a old kit!

Thanks for all the encouragement, but there is a lot of little stuff to do to really bring it alive. I have to keep Murphy's Law out of the build, he always tries to creep in. One thing I discovered during this build is the use of Latex gloves for handling, way better than the white cotton gloves, no lint left behind. :drink:

John that looks fantastic, you put a lot more into it than I did for mine take a look.

Cheers Ted, Your pair look great, LN though, only kidding. I prefer the Chilterns and Cotswolds so UH it will be. I did a similar build of a Hasegawa 1/72 FB-111A Dark Vark diorama in 1990. It actually traveled across the pond 2X on my last UH assignment 1990-1993 with no damage. (Self-Packed) in my household goods. I still have it and dust it off every couple years. The best thing about it is: it took first at the 2003 IPMS US Nats for Dioramas Large Scale Composition Aircraft, totally blew me away 13 years after it was built. If only Hasegawa would treat some other subjects like their F-111, like the Vulcan, Lightning, and a few others so we could all be happy.

JTY

• 2 months later...

Back on the clock, up on its legs with all the tedious and fiddly work to go. The latest pix.

Academy's MLG is pretty good, robust and accurate. Verlinden's update has the necessary PE for the main wheels and only actuating arm and speed brake/MLG door cylinder had to be extended due to the scratch built wheel bay.

IMG_2912.jpg

IMG_2923.jpg

IMG_2931.jpg

The nose gear strut had to be dressed up, it is inaccurate, nothing too extreme just some Evergreen tube, I channel, and landing lights.

IMG_2915.jpg

How she sits, next up after the LG doors will be the unit markings.

IMG_2936.jpg

Very nice Vark!!! I remember seeing Varks here in the Netherlands. I have one old Koku fan, and there I saw an Vark of Upperheyford with no squadron markings and no fintipcolour and white tailcode and serial.

Code UH

serial is 68-060

Hope that is usefull for you :speak_cool:

G'day John,

Great work. I have a very soft spot fro the 'Vark (or "Pig" as it is known down-under)

I have been following this thread with interest. I have a question though. What paint (brand) did you use? The reason I ask is that there is not much contrast between the two greens (FS 34079 and FS34102), I can make it out, just.

Perhaps the pictures don't bear the contrast out, but there should be a marked tonal variation between them. I really like the work you have done to the landing gear as well.

I have made a start on my own Academy kit. I have attached some progress pictures. It has the verlinden cockpit as well, but I also managed to get a hold of the Scaledown undercarriage set as well.

tub6.jpg

53e5a914.jpg

maingear3.jpg

maingear1.jpg

nose1.jpg

cheers,

Pappy

Hi John,

Your efforts thus far have me gobsmacked at your incredibly resourceful build, not to mention your perserverence..... Thanks for sharing the pics and descriptions along the way, and best of luck for what's left of the work to your model.

Pappy,

Please keep us informed of your progress, as the shots above indicate that yet another masterpiece is on the way. The Pig is one of my favourite air superiority fighters (I know, bad joke).

Cheers,

Andrew.

Edited by Andrew

G'day John,

I have been following this thread with interest. I have a question though. What paint (brand) did you use? The reason I ask is that there is not much contrast between the two greens (FS 34079 and FS34102), I can make it out, just.

Perhaps the pictures don't bear the contrast out, but there should be a marked tonal variation between them. I really like the work you have done to the landing gear as well.

I have made a start on my own Academy kit. I have attached some progress pictures. It has the verlinden cockpit as well, but I also managed to get a hold of the Scaledown undercarriage set as well.

Pappy

Pappy,

I was concerned about this at first, but the more photos I looked at I felt relieved. The gloss makes the seperation between greens blend together more than the flat final finish will. I used Testors Model Master Enamels for the SEA jungle scheme. The UK based Earthpigs received PDM at either BAe Filton in Bristol, England or Sacramento ALC, California. I have seen both distinct color seperation or hardly discernable seperation on aircraft that were just back from Depot Overhaul so my best guess is both are correct, just depends on the tail number. Looking at pictures of other SEA jungle scheme aircraft the same conclusions could be drawn. It comes down to where was it painted, what company provided the paint etc. etc.

The subject of my build is on www.airliners.net, search for F-111E, it's on page 1. The color is washed a bit but that's me story and I'm sticking to it.

I will certainly be following your build, your beginnings look top notch. I would love to get my hands on the Scaledown stuff, but it is hard to find in the States. I guess I'll have to contact Stephen when I get another urge to build a Vaark, this time I had to use what I've collected, the CE intakes forced me to scratch the WW. Maybe we will get a new 1/48 F-111, I just hope it'll be a scaled up Hasegawa, but I wouldn't say no to a 1/32 Trumpeter.

My wife's younger sister and husband emigrated to Oz from England this year. I am planning to visit in the next couple, three years, looking forward to some bonzer Ozzie tucker and amber fluid. :speak_cool:

John

G'day John,

If you are building from a picture, fair enough.

The Aussie Pigs had a very distinct difference in hue, but as you say, this will very much depend upon local paint specs and conditions. I noticed that on the F-111C's, the tan would fade to a very light shade.

I would love a scaled up 1/48 Hasegawa Pig, it would immediately cancel all other builds and I would buy about 6 of them!!

A 1/32 Pig, well that would mean a new house, the thing would be massive!

I hope you enjoy your time 'down under', the beer is probably a little stronger than what you are used to;P, but the seafood is great!

cheers,

Pappy

I'd add to a shout for a 48th Hasegawa earth pig, but I'd be equally happy if they'd re-issue the 72nd ones! In the meantime,at Telford Academy were showing re-issues of the whole of their range of 48th 'varks. OK, I know it's not Hasegawa, but John has shown what he can do with such a mediocre kit!! (even if mere mortals like me can't!! :D:lol:)

Absolultely lovely work John!

Keef

• 2 weeks later...

All externals are finished and ready for mounting as is the wing gloves and stabs. I should have everything mounted by tomorrow leaving only the windscreen and canopy to be cut open and detailed. Here are some pix of the fuel tanks and augmentor nozzles.

Paragon nozzles with the Monogram F-14A nozzle affixed to the rear, looks funky on the outside but gives depth when looking through the rear. Creative license and anyway the F-14 used the same motor as the Vark.

IMG_3023.jpg

600 gal fuel tanks from the 2 Monogram A-10's The Academy tanks are horribly undersize, the A-10 tanks are slightly underscale but much better than the Academy ones.

IMG_3024.jpg

The Verlinden ALQ-131(V)3 Jammin' Pod affixed

IMG_3045.jpg