Academy 1/48 F-111. New day for a old kit!

I have been waiting a long time to do this kit and now the time is right. The release of Cutting Edges seamless intakes is the final piece to the puzzle. I have squared the intakes and roughed them into the lower fuselage, a little CA to fill the seams and some blending and completion of the spike is all that remains. I cut out the shallow main WW and fabricated a proper size WW. I made templates from the Hasegawa 1/72 WW and upscaled the drawings to 1/48. The front, top, and rear of the WW is .030 sheet stock. The sides are .010 stock to allow for the curve of the intake tunnels. I still have to make the brace and detail the plumbing but the basic structure is in place. I've cut the lower portion of the wing root glove

out, Paragon's slats and flaps are going on this baby. :elephant:

IMG_2111.jpg

IMG_2108.jpg

IMG_2109.jpg

IMG_2107.jpg

I've tried to work out what kit this is, and I'm blowed if I can... what is it John? Looks like some ambitious work, whatever it is ;)

Sorry, Academy 1/48 F-111. Going to be an E from RAF Upper Heyford, my old Alma Mata!

Cool - it's in the thread title now... I like the F-111... it looks a bit evil. Even though it played a part in the downfall of the TSR.2 :crying:

Er you go John, some of your old birds out in tucson. Went there last year, one was in the Pima museum and the rest out on the field at the AMMARC centre.

Used to remember seeing them fly over here in the UK and went to the last show at UH.

Cheers,

Neil

DSCN0459.jpg

DSCN0413.jpg

DSCN0411.jpg

Going to be an E from RAF Upper Heyford, my old Alma Mata!

How's your hearing? For me those beasts were the loudest things in the sky back in the 80s - real window rattlers.

• 1 month later...

Here are the latest from the build. Slow going but progress is made, the Verlinden detail set is a neat addition and paints up nicely and is a drop fit. I only had to scrape the kits mounting ridges and glue in some plastic for the resin tub to rest on.

Don't forget to reinforce the forward/rear fuselage joint, a little sheet stock is cheap insurance. Gluing a thin strip to the upper forward fuselage will eliminate any steps, as a test fit shows a little pressure while the glue sets should yield a smooth butt join.

No putty so far but some CA to level the joins and fix stray rescribes. The wings are tedious, cutting and fitting the resin inserts, the blending it all in. Use the Hasegawa wing as a guide. I cut off the little flap covers over the upper screw drives and made new ones out of sheet stock to match the resin flaps. A nice thing about scratching the main well is: I now have the extra surface area to solidly glue the wing's interconnecting swing gear to, they will attach solidly to the roof of the main well.

I do not anticipate any putty, only some CA to smooth the joints and any stray scribe marks. The problem I'm contemplating now is whether to attach the flaps solidly now or wait until I lay down the cammo. One gentleman on ARC used piano wire to simulate the screw drives and that is a good idea because of the fragile nature of the resin flap tracks. Anyhow I have to paint the fan faces and should be able to close her up this weekend.

JTY

IMG_2169.jpg

IMG_2168.jpg

IMG_2170.jpg

IMG_2172.jpg

IMG_2173.jpg

IMG_2179.jpg

IMG_2180.jpg

IMG_2181.jpg

Gotta agree with the chaps there John. You're making great progress on what looks like a difficult conversion/upgrade. Keep those pics coming :thumbsup:

I was wondering how you were getting on the other day. Nice to see you've been busy, and I like your work. As for the screw drives - piano wire will definitely add some strength. If you want to portray the threads, you may wind some copper wire around the steel core, though this means you will need to go down on the diameter on the piano wire. Still, it will be much stronger than just the resin...

Jens

• 2 weeks later...

Last couple of weeks were slow going, after CA'ing the flap & slat inserts and cleaning up the flaps & slats I discovered the slots in the slat inserts did not match the slat tracks. I had to fill the slots with .050 stock and CA and sand smooth. Re-file new slots to match the tracks which were made from .030 I channel. This was done after straightening the warping of the slats. Do this 2X and you can see where 10 evenings disappear. The flaps were a drop fit, no problems. Here are the wings finished, primed, and waiting to be glued to the lower fuselage.

IMG_2297.jpg

IMG_2298.jpg

Don't forget to add some stiffeners from sprue runners to the lower fuselage, there is a lot of empty space in the rear fuselage and another one on the inside joint between the front and rear fuselage join, once again cheap insurance. Also, glue the kit wing gap inserts flush, they will give extra area to secure the top rear fuselage and add a solid surface to CA the PE wing seals to.

IMG_2287.jpg

IMG_2282.jpg

IMG_2272.jpg

I added the louvres to the vents on the upper rear fuselage from individual strip, that was a PITA. I believe Eduard made a PE set that had the louvres, but it is out of production.

IMG_2175.jpg

All things considered it will start to look like a Vaark after this weekend.

That's some construction work in there John! The louvres may have tested your patience but look well worth the effort.