Revell Fokker DVII

dylan the rabbit

It's about time I posted some pics up!

Righto, here's where I am so far.

_D9O7620.jpg

This is a really basic kit, and has involved a lot of scratch building so far. For the cockpit, Revell provide a crappy old instrument panel that's wholly inaccurate and a seat, and that's it. There are many more errors in the kit (like the crappy positioning of the machine guns!), but I'll sort those out later

So, with loads of research, I made the flooring out of plastic phone card, sidewall framing from guitar strings, the control stick and fuel pump from stretched sprue, control wires from guitar string, pedals from wire. The instrument panel is, again, phone card, with a couple of (inaccurate for this build but what the hell) Mike Grant decals, plastic card and guitar strings again. The seatbelts are painted medical tape, and the buckles are cut up kitchen foil.

The two large dials were made from slivers of sprue, and then painted.

_D9O7621.jpg

The interior was pre-sprayed in doped linen.

The engine's pretty basic, and I'm not sure how much more I'm going to bother with superdetailing it, as it'll mostly be hidden anyway. I thought I'd try a rusty look to the exhaust, and dry brushed a mix of black and copper on it.

_D9O7625.jpg

_D9O7622.jpg

It's funny how the close up photo's make it look flat. It does look better in real life!

I've pre-sprayed the fuselage white (it's going to be Herman Goering's all white DVII) where the engine will be as it'll be a bugger to do once it's in.

The wings are part sprayed, and I spent time pre-shading the wing ribs black before overcoating.

_D9O7628.jpg

Still got a bit more to do on cockpit details before I close up (throttle levers for one thing) the fuselage.

Cheers for looking, and any comments are welcome.

Nick

Good work, Nick-o. That's a tough build, quite basic as you show. It always amazes me how much people think this kit is worth, though. You find them on eBay all the time with the "Huckster Deluxe," sales pitch:

"No longer in production, *RARE*"... starting price, $39.95"

I wonder what sort of stuff these folks are smoking.

Thanks guys and gals.

I think I paid around $30 for this from a model shop, but an e-bay starting bid of 39.95?? Hah!

And no wonder it's no longer in production!

Anyway, I got a bit more done on the old boot tonight.

There's a bar that crosses the cockpit over the instrument panel, on top of which sits a dial, so the guitar string bar and sprue dial were superglued in.

_D9O7630.jpg

I did a tiny bit of tarting up of the engine, and that's glued in.

_D9O7632.jpg

That's it so far.

Cheers,

Nick

Well, the cockpit's finished as much as I can be arsed to do.

I made the throttle lever out of guitar strings, sprue and white glue for the knob (ohhh).

_D9O7639.jpg

I added a little compass on the other side of the cockpit, and that's where I leave it. It's all so ruddy small and mostly hidden anyway!

_D9O7643.jpg

Next up, the machine guns, ammo box and feeders.. :hypnotised:

Cheers,

Nick

Latest update.

I managed to make an ammo box from a bit of telephone cable wall plug, and have glued it on to the Spandaus, which still need a bit of work before spraying. I also need to make the feeders out of something! The guns are s***e, but at this stage, I'm not going to go after after market or make anything. They'll do.

_D9O8325.jpg

I'm almost ready to glue the fuselage together, but first need to fill a gap that will be there ahead of the guns. For some reason, Revell think it's there, when all diagrams and walkarounds I've seen prove the contrary.

_D9O8328.jpg

So, I lopped a bit of biro lid off, and have superglued that in place so when she's all closed up, there's something there to slap the filler on. As it so happens, there'll then be enough room for the Spandaus and the ammo box between that and the instrument panel.

This kit's a real dog!

Rush rush rush.... The 31st beckons!

Cheers,

Nick

Im impressed with your inventiveness. Thats as it should be, in my sordid mind. I dont have anytihing against shake and bake kits, and I snag them when I can. But this is what "old school" modeling is about. Of course, I can recall when we didnt have email either....

Edited by dahut

This kit sucks. No wonder it's out of production.

The rudder and rear wings refuse to fit, and will need shimming. I've just tried attaching the undercarriage, and with the alignment of the locator holes and the legs, the skid sits at an angle! I'm probably going to have to make some.

Wow! What joys will the top wing bring?

Not what I wanted to be doing so close to the end of the GB.. :angrysoapbox.sml:

Nick von Fokkdoff

Edited by dylan the rabbit

I think Churchill's quote was something like "If you're going through hell, keep going.."

I got the undercarraige on this evening using the one in the kit. Using the locator points as is, the legs would splay out, so I carved in new points on the skid and voila.

The tail and rudder are on, and will need shimming.

Hell, even the filling in of the fuselage worked! The home mage machine gun ammo tank and Spandau's fit like a glove!

Pics when I can.

This bloody kit will be finished in a week!

Righto..

Inspired by the other speed builds on the site, I've gone for it. Apologies for not taking too many status pics, as the camera was in repair, and it just slows everything down.

Here it is to date.

_D9O9069.jpg

I hate this kit.

It's been a fight all the way, and I've started to take short cuts and leave a few things out just to meet the deadline.

The machine guns fitted in well, but I didn't include a belt feed.

The top wing was a Fokker to put on. The struts were all different lengths, and needed cutting in places. The wing was hardly a perfect fit, but it's on and straight. One of the struts isn't, so I won't be photographing it straight on.

The prop's been done, and I'm working on the wheels now. A coat of Klear will go on later today, and I'll decal it tomorrow, and then weather and rig it the day after.

Cheers,

Nick

Edited by dylan the rabbit