Op Telic 9 pics

paul_c

really know where to post these but i suppose aviation photography will do. took loads of pics when i was in Basrah between Feb and May last year but here are some of the more equipment related ones. a nice mix of aircraft and vehicles me thinks :thumbsup:

STA70164.jpg

STA70158.jpg

STA70174.jpg

STA70173.jpg

STA70175.jpg

STA70181.jpg

STA70185.jpg

STA70194.jpg

STA70197.jpg

STA70198.jpg

STA70202.jpg

STA70207.jpg

STA70211.jpg

STA70236.jpg

STA70238.jpg

STA70241.jpg

STA70273.jpg

STA70298.jpg

STA70313.jpg

Those Merlin things really don't seem to like keeping their oil inside do they?

We had one come to families day and the entire starboard side was completely coated in oil.

Two questions,

What's the plastic bag on the blister window for in the second pic?

What happened to the Disco?

Nice pics btw :)

Jen.

Hi Jen, thanks for the comments, the Merlin is a very leaky bird isn't it?

the cab in the second shot has just had a new bubble window fitted (they tend to melt a bit with the combination of desert temperatures and the exhaust) and its protective plastic cover is still in place. i think that stayed on until the BF, no need to clean it twice eh? :)

we dont know what happened to the Disco (a V8 SE by the way) , they are used out there as staff cars along with brand new Range Rovers and was one of many that turned up in the M/T section looking like that.......

Edited by paul_c

I served in Sea Kings in the US NAVY - you show some pics of the RN variant there. We had a saying:

"If it aint leaking oil, quick... put some in!"

With all the shaky-shaky, wokka-wokka stuff going on with helos, they tend to ooze a bit more than others.

I served in Sea Kings in the US NAVY - you show some pics of the RN variant there. We had a saying:

"If it aint leaking oil, quick... put some in!"

With all the shaky-shaky, wokka-wokka stuff going on with helos, they tend to ooze a bit more than others.

thats about right mate! back in the UK, i work on Merlin post depth maintenance flight test. even though they have been fully stripped, repaired and rebuilt over a 3 month period, as soon as the head starts turning for the first time, the fluid starts flowing!