What-If Hunter

As some of you may have noticed, most of my models are what-ifs. This is my first of 2008.

It's the Academy 1/48 Hunter FGA.9, which I've found a frustrating kit, because sitting in the box it looks very, very nice, but once you start building the flaws rear their ugly heads.

Anyway, I felt like something other than my usual RAF, RN, US, Canadian type stuff, so I decided this would be a good home for the JASDF F-86 decals in my stash.

I knew that three of the kit's big weak areas were the intakes, undersize wheels, and undersize seat. I decided I could make the intakes work (yeah, right!) and change the seat, but had no proper wheels to use, so it's going to be an inflight model on a stand. The gear doors closed up very nicely. I did them before assembling hte wing halves, so I could glue from inside.

Since I would be using a pilot figure the seat issue wasnt that big of a deal. To rectify the ridiculously small kit seat (it looks like it's 1/72) I took an old Monogram Mk10 seat and modified it to look like a Mk2. With the figure in it under a closed canopy it looks passable.

Ryoushi1.jpg

Ryoushi2.jpg

Overall construction wanst that bad, with the complicated intake assembly being the only real problem. With careful dry fitting and sanding, the wing/fuselage join was the only area needing filler.

I wanted to do a completely ficitonal scheme for this one, but wanted something that would look JASDF.

Ryoushi16.jpg

Next step is a coat of Future (Kleer) and then decals.

Hints, tips, comments, and derision are welcomed as always!!

That scheme looks like its gonna be a winner!

Looking very good so far, get your camera focus sorted and post some close ups pics of that pilot and pit.

I agree. Very oriental.