RIAT 2008

Robert

Best £30 - £37 you will spend all year.

Agreed for anyone with the slightest interest in Aviation, but...

If you aint got it to spare, then you aint got it.

I'm planning for Thursday to Monday this year. Not ordered the show tickets yet, I'll do that when I've recovered from the cost of booking local(ish) accomodation. Just as well this is taking the place of a proper holiday!

Note also that the cheaper early tickets are for a specified day this year. You can still buy a 'either day' ticket in advance, but it's more expensive.

Pray for a sunny July...

Steve.

As ever, I'll wait until there's a decent list of runners and riders! Judging by the past couple of years, I don't imagine there's likely to be anything unusual to gawp-at this year, so I think I'd rather keep my thirty quid in my pocket! Maybe they'll pull-in a surprise but I really can't think of anything that is even likely to be available. I fear that the RAF participation will be confined to the same role demo, a Typhoon display (which you can watch outside Coningsby at a much closer range for free), a Tucano and a Hawk. No Osprey or MiG demonstrator to borrow this year, so I can't imagine what would be worth thirty quid and a four hour drive, at this stage.

I've said it many times before but I think the RIAT show is rapidly reaching its sell-by date. When there are fewer and fewer aircraft available, I don't quite see how a "military tattoo" can be expected to work. It was great back in the days of Greenham Common and when the Russians and their friends came along, but now it's mostly a gathering of national aerobatic teams. I wish they'd stop, take a fresh look at the show and come-up with something different, before too many people decide that the admission price just isn't worth it. Admittedly, there isn't much else in the air show calendar though these days - I hope Waddington come-up with something exciting!

And, depending who you listen to ... A Raptor (maybe)

And it's Farnboro year too - might pull in a gem or two.

Steve.

Yeah I've seen that rumour pop up in afew various places. Also Asas de Portugal might be coming, so not a bad start if they turn out to be true.

I think they could be shooting theirselves in the foot here. £45 on the day price, what kind of an increase is that in percentage terms? A bit more than inflation I'll bet. Early Bird only available up to 29th Feb., advance for Sat. or Sun at £32.50 plus booking fee, and you must choose the day in advance or, if you want the option of leaving the choice of day until closer to the day, £37.50 plus £3.00 booking fee. Some of you may think this is acceptable, I don't.

Edited by tompot

I agree with you there about the day-specific tickets, it's not gonna do them any favours. 20% increase in the price for tickets on the gate - mental! Even with under 16's going free, a day out for 2 adults and 2 kids at RIAT is now more expensive than a family ticket to the likes of Alton Towers!

I can just think of a few treats that might turn up :analintruder:

vulcan, super hornet, mig-29ovt, f-22 is almost definitly coming, possibly new su-35 breif appearence or even the new f-35 making a breif show of itself :evil_laugh:

really hope they secure some of these beasts, its what I go for honestly

Lights blue touch paper and runs...............

But far less expensive than (say) a ticket to the British Grand Prix, and about the same price as admission to most major football matches, other sporting events or concerts and on a per hour basis probably much less expensive (I hesitate to use the word cheaper) than any of the above.

Is it correct that you can't take your car onto the airfield? And have to park across the road and bus or walk in?

If you're coming from Letchlade (i.e. the M40 route) yes, you park in the fields opposite the base then walk to the entrance. Can't speak for the other routes I'm afraid.

If you're coming from Letchlade (i.e. the M40 route) yes, you park in the fields opposite the base then walk to the entrance. Can't speak for the other routes I'm afraid.

Indeedio. Since RIAT 2000 (maybe even before - I dunno?) you haven't been able to park on the base, whether it be Cotty or Fairford. The car parks are in the fields adjacent to the airfield.

vulcan, super hornet, mig-29ovt, f-22 is almost definitly coming, possibly new su-35 breif appearence or even the new f-35 making a breif show of itself

Well the Vulcan is the most likely out of them to appear. I wouldn't say that the F-22 is almost definitely coming, especially at this early stage. Would love to see the Su-35 and even the F-35 but I reckon they're the most unlikely out of the lot.

Indeedio. Since RIAT 2000 (maybe even before - I dunno?) you haven't been able to park on the base, whether it be Cotty or Fairford. The car parks are in the fields adjacent to the airfield.

Well if you have to carry all ya gear around all day, that and the price kills it totally for me. I need a quad bike and trailer to carry all my gear.

I don't think I'd want to pay £45 to see a Raptor - what's the point when they'll be around for years and years and they all look virtually identical?! Agreed, I'd be interested in seeing the Asas de Portugal though - something a little out of the ordinary. The Vulcan is of course a highlight but when I can make an hour's drive to Waddington... Besides, there's no guarantee as yet that the Vulcan will be flying. If there's a Sukhoi on show I'd be more interested but who knows, we'll have to wait and see. As I said before, I'm inclined to wait until there's a definitive list of participants (not that this is a guarantee!) and a fairly reliable weather forecast! They really proposing to charge forty-five quid on the gate? That's ridiculous, and from what I read about the way in which the whole thing is supposed to be a fundraiser for charity (but that the actual amount raised seems to be continually unclear), I have to wonder what they're thinking of. If anything, I think I'll opt for a field outside where the view is free (as access to the products of the taxpayer ought to be) and much closer than inside the sheep pen - sorry, public enclosure! Cynical? Me? Never...