Picture link

ancient mariner

Those weapons bays are rather "busy" aren't they? It's thrown a question up in my mind though. 2 engines & 3 weapons bays in the fuselage probably cramp the fuel tank space in the fuselage. The wings seem rather skinny too, so what's the "vanilla" range on this bird? Also, if to reach long distances they have to add external tanks, or weapons (with fuel in the weapons bays), doesn't that bugger up the low observability of the aircraft?

Or has some bright spark come up with some nice LO (possibly conformal?) fuel tanks for just such a situation? :hmmm:

The pictures were from the Pt. Mugu airshow. As it so happens in this funny world, thats is where I grew up. My first airshow experience was there and I recall the Navy Blue Angels in their A-4's flying there. When I was older, I lived just off the runway touchdown areas fence line. I watched F-14's land daily, just outside my back door. It was a bit noisy, but I didnt mind.

Edited by dahut

Those weapons bays are rather "busy" aren't they? It's thrown a question up in my mind though. 2 engines & 3 weapons bays in the fuselage probably cramp the fuel tank space in the fuselage. The wings seem rather skinny too, so what's the "vanilla" range on this bird? Also, if to reach long distances they have to add external tanks, or weapons (with fuel in the weapons bays), doesn't that bugger up the low observability of the aircraft?

Or has some bright spark come up with some nice LO (possibly conformal?) fuel tanks for just such a situation? :hmmm:

Range is said to be quite good on internal fuel. Remember, it doesn't use nearly as much fuel as other supersonic fighters when actually going supersonic (up to Mach 1.7 or so if memory serves), because it doesn't need an afterburner. It's also a big-bottom aircraft!

Mike V. could probably elaborate further, but I'm not sure his allowed, OPSEC and all :ninja:

:viking:

Interesting picture - anyone else try saving a copy of it?

The F22 does have the ability to carry external tanks although no doubt these don't help its low observability characteristics.

Edited by Richard E