DH2

HP42

Hi all,

I've got a Revell DH2 on the go, something to do whilst visiting the rellies this weekend. I noticed this piccy of a DH2 on t'interweb and thought it loked pretty good. How accurate is this colour scheme and the aircraft in general? I gather the engine on this replica is a radial rather than a rotary, but that aside is it a good modelling reference? I see it has Magazines for the lewis Guns on both sides of the cockpit (I've found a shot of the starboard side) whereas the Revell kit only suggests the one. Did the real aircraft have 'A 4' on the top of the wing?

Any other suggestions?

1305210575062985170S600x600Q85.jpg

If you click on the pic it takes you to the source and you can view a much better image. It's a really nice pic as it happens, very fine detail.

Phil

Edited by Billy-Joe-Jim-Bob

Hi all,

I've got a Revell DH2 on the go, something to do whilst visiting the rellies this weekend. I noticed this piccy of a DH2 on t'interweb and thought it loked pretty good. How accurate is this colour scheme and the aircraft in general? I gather the engine on this replica is a radial rather than a rotary, but that aside is it a good modelling reference? I see it has Magazines for the lewis Guns on both sides of the cockpit (I've found a shot of the starboard side) whereas the Revell kit only suggests the one. Did the real aircraft have 'A 4' on the top of the wing?

Any other suggestions?

1305210575062985170S600x600Q85.jpg

If you click on the pic it takes you to the source and you can view a much better image. It's a really nice pic as it happens, very fine detail.

Phil

Hello Phil,

The DH 2 replica pictured seems to be a pretty accurate rendition and the coulour scheme is a slight mix of an aircraft flown by 29 sqn in 1916, but with the outer strut red/white markings from A flight, 24 sqn. The rest of the colours are accurate for a side view and photographs in the DH2 Windsock datafile of 7849 of A flight 29 sqn except that the A4 marking on the upper wing is not present and the serial on the rudder would be in grey, shadow shaded in white and red.

7849 did have the Lewis drum racks each side, although fitment varied from aircraft to aircraft; some only having one as depicted in the Revell kit.

Hope that helps!

Rowan

Edited by Rowan Broadbent

Thanks for that! I'm most of the way through a model of one of these and thought the picture told a thousand words at the very least. Thankfully I don't need to put the A4 marks on the upper wing -'cos I don't have the decals anyway.

Phil