Hi folks, new to the site and looking for Tornado education

VF-DECALS

Hi guys,

I'm looking to get educated on the different variants of the Tornado. I've always been fascinated with this a/c. Is there a site I can go to to get information on the Tornado? Or if someone here can break it down for me, I'd greatly appreciate it.

The main variants I'm interested in are the GR Mk 1 and the F-3.

Thanks!

Brian

yes indeed, welcome Brian...Tornado's eh?...well the F3 has got a long pointy nose and is painted in Light Grey...there...that just about covers it...next question...:P

yes indeed, welcome Brian...Tornado's eh?...well the F3 has got a long pointy nose and is painted in Light Grey...there...that just about covers it...next question...:P

:rofl:

Well, glad we got that part out of the way.. :lol:

Hi Brian

This should be a useful starting point

Tornado

Great Dave, thanks!

What a great site and very informative.

If I can talk my art guy into it, and if I'm able to make contact with some of the original photographers on the site, I may look into doing some Tornado decals from Operation Granby. Alot of them had some great nose art and would definitely make some great decal subjects.

Thanks for the help!

Great Dave, thanks!

If I can talk my art guy into it, and if I'm able to make contact with some of the original photographers on the site, I may look into doing some Tornado decals from Operation Granby. Alot of them had some great nose art and would definitely make some great decal subjects.

Thanks for the help!

Hmmm, and there was me thinking you were a Tomcat and Hornet only kinda guy! :clap2:

But glad to hear your thinking of covering the Tornados - the vast range of desert storm noseart seems to have been strangely neglected, with even the bigger British companies such as Xtradecal and Model Alliance ignoring them thus far. I'd definitely be interested in any such sheet with artwork that covers 'new' previously un-decalled jets from Granby - Awesome Annie and Nikki would be me subjects of choice, closely followed by Emma, Cherry Lips and Donna Ewin.

Hmmm, and there was me thinking you were a Tomcat and Hornet only kinda guy! :clap2:

I get that a lot.. :)

Truth be told, I've always been a fan of the Tornado, I've just never publicly broadcast it.

I can say it will be a bit of fun researching the Operation Granby jets and this summer will be the perfect time for me to do so.

Hi Brian- welcome aboard man!

Tornado@s are extremely cool and very noisy- every time i go to my parents in the lake district i get impromptu airshows from them. Its such a shame there is no excellent model available.

U may have already noticed british humour- its much more derogatory than others, and is probably just best to stand your ground and tell them they are all a bunch of...

While you are doing proper aircraft- there are threads on here referring to the last days of the jaguar- now go have a little think...

Its such a shame there is no excellent model available

Uh, hello? Revell?

As to Tonka decals, a lot of the schemes from the 80s are only available on the old Modeldecal sheets (if you can find them) and the quality of them isn't up to 21st century standards. As far as I'm concerned, if it isn't wraparound grey/green it isn;t a real Tornado!

If you PM spike7451 he should be really help out being a Tornado armourer and all.

Hi Brian- welcome aboard man!

Tornado@s are extremely cool and very noisy- every time i go to my parents in the lake district i get impromptu airshows from them. Its such a shame there is no excellent model available.

U may have already noticed british humour- its much more derogatory than others, and is probably just best to stand your ground and tell them they are all a bunch of...

While you are doing proper aircraft- there are threads on here referring to the last days of the jaguar- now go have a little think...

Hey thanks!

If British humor is anything like being married...I'll survive.

Great Dave, thanks!

Thanks for the help!

Hi Brian welcome to the madhouse, if you are interested in Desert Storm/Granby, if you haven't come across it before you might find this site useful. :whistle:

http://www.dstorm.eu/?

Pete

• Like 1

Welcome to the site.

I'm a ex-RAF Tornado Armourer stationed at RAF Bruggen in Germany from 1987 to 1992.

I posted loads of Tornado pics inc nose art from Granby & Telic in the resources thread.Skii made it a sticky.If you need anything,PM me & I'll see what I have.

HOWEVER......I take it you make decals right? :hmmm: How about making the markings for the jet in my Sig block & the Pic below in 1/48? :whistle: I'd love to do a 17F Sqn (The BEST Tornado Squadron in the RAF bar NONE!!! :D

RM-08206_01_lrg.gif

FOXY_KILLER-1.jpg

TONKA1-1.jpg

RAF17Sqn.jpg

Welcome to the site.

I'm a ex-RAF Tornado Armourer stationed at RAF Bruggen in Germany from 1987 to 1992.

I posted loads of Tornado pics inc nose art from Granby & Telic in the resources thread.Skii made it a sticky.If you need anything,PM me & I'll see what I have.

HOWEVER......I take it you make decals right? :hmmm: How about making the markings for the jet in my Sig block & the Pic below in 1/48? :whistle: I'd love to do a 17F Sqn (The BEST Tornado Squadron in the RAF bar NONE!!! :D

FOXY_KILLER-1.jpg

Thanks spike. I know I'll be interested in nose art jets from Granby.

It looks like naked lady art seemed to be the order of the day, so I'll be more interested in any pics oyou have of those.

Also, as I'm doing research for the jets, I may be contacting you periodically to ask questions.

Since I have the PM feature turned off, email is the best way to get me. My email address is [email protected]

Thanks!

OH GOD NOT HORNETS, I Can't take any more. PLEASE NO MORE HORNETS.

Must take deep breaths, deeeeeeeeeep breaths,

It's OK, I thinks I'm alright now Sorry flash back :confused:

Take a breather Phil...

:lol: Not too many hornet sheets on our horizon. That would be sacriligeous if I started doing any more of those sheets.

It's hard enough doing Jolly Rogers SH decals and they're my favorite squadron!......for Tomcats. :P