Airfix Spitfires

Barrovian

How are they for build and accuracy (Mk.1, Mk. IXC and the Seafire.)

Not really really my interest but I have the chance of getting them cheap.

Plus what are the markings in the 1/24 Mustang latest issue? Never having built the Mustang is it any good? Again have the chance of getting it cheap

Pretty much accurate as far as the common consensus goes. The wings are bit thick though and need thinning down, and you need to attach the top wing sections to the fuselage first to avoid a gap, but they build up pretty well.

This is my Mk.IX out of the box

spitIX2web.jpg

That looks pretty good!

The Airfix 1/48 WWI kits were always good in my opinion, even benchmarks. I recall the first kit I was really impressed with in terms of molded detail was an Airfix Me-109F... for a long time it was the best Franz in 1/48, IIRC.

I dont think you will go wrong overall. If needs a bit of tweaking to get things right, well, thats what being a modeler is about. I know they are still highly regarded, as they beat Tamigawa's often enough on eBay.

How are they for build and accuracy (Mk.1, Mk. IXC and the Seafire.)

Not really really my interest but I have the chance of getting them cheap.

Plus what are the markings in the 1/24 Mustang latest issue? Never having built the Mustang is it any good? Again have the chance of getting it cheap

The consensus is that, in terms of scale accuracy, the 1/48 Spitfire I/ Ia is the best available. The IXC is sort-of OK, but the wings are too thick chordwise, especailly around the wing roots. There again, all of the available 1/48 Spit IXs have siginifcant fit and/ or scale accuracy issues. My personal favourites are the ICM kits, but only the more recent mouldings, and only if you leave the negines out.

The Spitfire VC/ Seafire III can be made into an attractive model, but shares similar wing thickness problems with the Spitfire IX. The Seafire FR.46/47 OTOH, is one of Airfix's finest-ever kits, easily up to Tamigawa standards, and can be thoroughly recommended.

Finally, the 1/24 Mustang is far better, in terms of scale accuracy, than the Trumpeter kit of the same subject. True, you get more detail in the Trumpeter kit, and the wheel wells are boxed in, but the detail that Trumpeter provide you with isn't especially accurate, so what's the point?

Edited by sealeopard