Making instrument dials

dylan the rabbit

In a conundrum..

I'm scratch building the instrument panel of a 1/48th Fokker DVII.

The dials sit proud of the face. The panel should look like this..

fokker_d_vii_55.jpg

How on earth would I go about making them?

I've looked for small washers (impossible) and am thinking of cutting plastic card in small circles, but am not sure how good this would like.

Any ideas?

Cheers,

Nick

I'm sitting here cutting out placards for my P-47 cockpit, some are round and a pain, think a punch and die set is needed but they are expensive, probably if you use one a lot that is the way to go.

Cheers

Den

One of these, works on plastic, tried it on Waldron placards but failed !

punch.jpg[/img]

I made my own punch cheaply and easily by cutting 2 rectangles of 3/16" perspex about 4" X 3", drilled a couple of 3/8" holes in the corners, long side or diagonal - doesn't matter, glued 3/8" steel pins in the bottom layer.

Assemble the 2 pieces. Now, if you need to punch a hole of a certain size, drill through both layers with the appropriate size of drill bit, slip your bit of sheet of the required thickness between the perspex layers, reverse the drill bit, pop it in the hole in the top layer, protect the pointy end with a bit of plastic and hit it a smart rap with a hammer. Hey presto - a perfect hole or/and a perfect disc!

Drill as many sizes as you need holes or discs and have at it. The perspex stands up to repeated punching very well and you can always drill more 'oles if you need to.

If you're really keen, you could grind the non business end of the drills flat to give a sharper edge, but most work OK as bought.

Give it a try - works for me.

Iain

Edited by Iain Art

As I imagined. Very nice resource. My friend is a top notch machinist and I may ask him to chip in on this and help me out. If he can do the perspex parts and fitted alignment pins, I can manage the holes!