Grumman F8F-1 Bearcat

Mike

Grumman F8F-1 Bearcat

1:48 Hobbyboss

boxtop.jpg

The Bearcat was an attempt to squeeze the last performance increase out of the piston engine, which succeeded quite nicely. A small, lightweight airframe attached to a monstrous Pratt & Whitney R-2800 Doubt Wasp radial engine gave it an excellent power to weight ratio, which coupled with great manoeuvrability made it a sparkling performer.

Sadly, the Bearcat came too late to see action in WWII but equipped many US Navy fighter squadrons before it was eclipsed by newer jet engine designs. It flew in French and Thai service, where it saw combat against the Viet Minh in the mid 50s. Its aerobatic performance led to it being used by the Blue Angles for a time, and endeared it to the air racing fraternity, where it still performs even today in modified forms.

The kit arrives in a small top opening box with a painting of a blue Bearcat leaping off a rather impressionistic runway. Inside are five sprues of grey styrene, two of clear parts, decal sheet, painting guide and instruction manual.

sprue1.jpg

sprue2.jpg

sprue3.jpg

sprue4.jpg

The narrow cockpit is well depicted, sitting on a large tray that attaches to a pair of bulkheads to secure it within the fuselage. Nicely detailed side consoles, a clear instrument panel part that slots into the panel surround and has cylindrical instrument backs moulded in are complimented by an instrument decal on the sheet. The base of the seat is separate from the back, and both parts fit to the cockpit along with rudder pedals and control column. In front of the cockpit is a nice rendition of the basics of the engine mount and ancillary fluid tanks, which oddly won't be seen once the fuselage is closed up - a bit of a habit with Hobby Boss kits, perhaps to increase the part count?

A multi-part turtle-deck is installed later behind the padded headrest to depict the roll bar behind the pilot, which can be seen through the canopy when closed. The canopy itself is made up from two parts, and has a beautifully "blown" shape to the windscreen, which continues back to the bubble shaped canopy. The main canopy has the finest of mould seams running down its length, and the modeller can choose to ignore it or sand and polish it back - I suspect it would hardly notice to the casual observer. A clear lens for the gunsight is also included, which mates to the small styrene part on the instrument coaming.

The fuselage halves extend as far as the cowl flaps, and are nicely detailed, with restrained panel lines and rivets where appropriate. There is an odd polished line down the middle of the fuselage, as if the mould has been cut and rejoined, then polished. Whatever this was for, it hasn't completely worked, and the modeller will need to sand this further to remove the joint line, which will otherwise show up under paint. A pair of exhaust stubs are installed from inside the fuselage, so be careful not to forget these, as you'll end up with a see-through model. Another pair of bulkheads sit in the rear fuselage providing mounting points for the well detailed tail wheel and arrestor hook, and once the front bulkhead is installed the fuselage can be closed up, hiding a number of parts forever. It should be possible to leave off the rear wheel until later in the build, but check this before proceeding.

There is a full rendition of the two rows of 9 pistons of the Double Wasp radial engine included, as well as the gearbox and what appears to be a pair of drum filters? A little wiring and careful painting should bring out the detail nicely. The cowling is mostly moulded as a single piece, using a complex 4-part slide-mould. The modeller will have to remove 4 slightly raised mould lines on the leading edge of the cowling, but the rest has been hidden along panel lines. Strangely, a small section of the upper cowling has been moulded separately, but there is another almost identical part that has a recessed strip along the trailing edge, which must be aimed at another planned version perhaps? Careful gluing should minimise cleanup on this section, but as it is at the top, it will need to be well done to hide it under a coat of paint. The propeller and un-shrouded boss are nicely shaped, replicating the sweep and shape of the blades well, and have decals for the manufacturers marks that extend up each blade.

cowling.jpg

The wings are built up from four halves, attaching to the fuselage with large locating tabs. Given their modest size, that should suffice unless you plan on practicing "hard carrier landings" with your finished model! The instructions show where to cut the wing parts if you wish to fold them, and each end has a bulkhead and basic wingfold mechanism supplied to get the correct angle for stowage. A pair of clear lights glue into the wingtips to finish them off.

The main gear bays are almost entirely in the wing, with small doors on the underside of the fuselage opening up to allow the wheel to enter/exit. It is here that the smallest of views of the engine mounts and ancillary "gubbins" will be seen by the intrepid observer, so remember to paint those parts afterall!

The gear shortened as it retracted to give both a wide track and enough clearance for the massive 12 foot prop, and these are nicely rendered and sturdy enough to support the model, mounting securely on double pins within the bays. Brake callipers are moulded in, so the addition of some brake lines would really set them off. A pair of auxiliary jacks install along with the curved bay doors, which attach securely to the legs. As previously mentioned, the small doors on the fuselage underside attach using little pegs for strength. The gear bay detail itself is good, giving an impression of the curved tubes linking the leading edge intakes for the radiators to the fuselage. The wheels themselves have a prominent spoked design that appears correct from the outer side, but from what I can see around the brake callipers, the back of the hub should be flat for at least part of its diameter. The tyres are moulded in, but seem a little thin and have a rather squared off profile to my eyes.

Munitions are included to sling under your Bearcat, including 4 wing-mounted rockets, two bombs and a centreline fuel tank, all with pylons, a prelude of things to come on most if not all modern aircraft.

The decal sheet is relatively small, but contains plenty of stencil data, as well as national insignia and individual markings for two different aircraft. From the box you can build one of the following:

Bu.No. 95081, VF-3 Flown by LT.A.M. "Mike" Granat, 1946 in all over navy blue finish

Bu.No. 95187 Beetle Bomb, 1949 in all over yellow finish

decals.jpg

Conclusion

It's been waited for by many for a while now, and my first impression is good. The fuselage shape appears to conform to pictures and plans of the real thing, with a nice bulge to the rear of the fuselage around the fin fillet area. The cowling shape captures the look, although I suspect that it curves a little too early at the front - it does have some nicely engraved fasteners that are prominent on the real thing though, and often seen in natural metal.

The wings look well, but the tips may need a little sanding to square them off a bit, as all the plans I have seen show them more in line with the airflow than the kit. It's a tiny difference, and could be accomplished quickly by sanding the tip with the light installed and then polish it back to clarity. Ten minutes work at a guess.

I'm very pleased with the kit overall, and it won't remain unbuilt for long. Detail is good overall, with no rough edges other than the mid-fuselage line mentioned earlier. The decal options are suitably different, and there will doubtless be plenty of aftermarket options to cater for the more esoteric markings that are out there.

Recommended

bin.jpg

Review sample courtesy of

logo.gif

• Like 1

Mike,

are there any dimensions forr this (wings out, wings folded and length?). Wondering if it would be a similar size to a 1/72 F-14.... fed up a little with grey planes (mind I ilke the red-tailed Hobby Boss F-14 (plus I am up for the F-14 GB starting next year.....)

I am very tempted to get this one - it looks great and seems it could be a quality replacement for the oft-damaged Academy one on my shelf

Andy

Be nice to get some Thai AF decals for it? (Might already be?)

Radders, Siam decals makes markings for both GSB and NMF Thai Bearcats. Thats what mine will be when I get one.

http://www.scalemates.com/products/product.php?id=121635

Just to be nit picky about the model - it looks as though Hobbyboss have supplied the exhausts as the dash-2 style 3 tube system. The dash -1 used a 5 tube exhaust. I know that really is nit picky!

cheers

Jonners

The cowling is mostly moulded as a single piece, using a complex 4-part slide-mould. The modeller will have to remove 4 slightly raised mould lines on the leading edge of the cowling, but the rest has been hidden along panel lines. Strangely, a small section of the upper cowling has been moulded separately, but there is another almost identical part that has a recessed strip along the trailing edge, which must be aimed at another planned version perhaps? Careful gluing should minimise cleanup on this section, but as it is at the top, it will need to be well done to hide it under a coat of paint.

Thanks for the review, Mike. I should be picking mine up from the postie today.

Are you sure that panel on the cowling is at the top? The F8F-2 had an oil cooler incorporated into the cowling underneath. This could be a seperate part for a forthcoming -2 kit.

Thanks for the review, Mike. I should be picking mine up from the postie today.

Are you sure that panel on the cowling is at the top? The F8F-2 had an oil cooler incorporated into the cowling underneath. This could be a seperate part for a forthcoming -2 kit.

Just checked the instructions online at 1999 hobby - it is a fill in for the lower cowling - so yes I guess there's a dash-2 coming with the extra vent panel in this area.

Good to see HB including some gubbins for the area inside the fuselage thats visible from the wheel wells too. Shame they've gone for what looks like rather shallow air intake trunking in the wells themselves - but compared to other models its pretty good!

Jonners- looking forward to getting this one

Uhh... silly me. Took my info from the instructions - I hope the cowl is keyed so yours truly someone can't put it on upside down... <scuttles off to look>

Just to be nit picky about the model - it looks as though Hobbyboss have supplied the exhausts as the dash-2 style 3 tube system. The dash -1 used a 5 tube exhaust.

Yes Jonners, that's right, and the cowling isn't keyed, so people will need to be careful :)

Uhh... silly me. Took my info from the instructions - I hope the cowl is keyed so yours truly someone can't put it on upside down... <scuttles off to look>

Yes Jonners, that's right, and the cowling isn't keyed, so people will need to be careful :)

in truth the instructions are rather unclear as to the orientation of the cowling.

Jonners

in truth the instructions are rather unclear as to the orientation of the cowling.

Jonners

That's what threw me... a little twisted arrow would have sorted that out. :)

There is an odd polished line down the middle of the fuselage, as if the mould has been cut and rejoined, then polished. Whatever this was for, it hasn't completely worked, and the modeller will need to sand this further to remove the joint line, which will otherwise show up under paint.

I got my hands on one of these a few hours ago. You are correct about that line. It's rather curious. I wonder if it is anything to do with a future F8F-2 kit. The line is at an ideal point to split the fuselage to provide a taller tail.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi chaps - got one on Saturday and had a chance to look over it last night.

Now I got to know the Bearcat pretty well when I made this one:

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.p...&hl=bearcat

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.p...&hl=bearcat

So please regard my comments as a follow on to Mikes review.

So far in 1/48th scale no -one has managed to get the cowling shape right on the Bearcat - The Testors/Hawk one is out and the Academy/Hobbycraft is out too. Its the curve on the cowling rim that eludes each time, and guess what?

Same here too. Like the Academy cowl, the curve seems too blunt giving a rather inelegant shape here. Its by no means as bad but it 'aint right.

More-over that familiar problem with modern models of radial engined aircraft seems to have occurred too - the cowl opening seems too small, and also seems to be lowered in relation to the cowl rim - ie the top cowling rim looks too thick when viewed from head on.

Now this is all fixable I think- with a bit of sanding, but its a shame never the less.

The other area that will need some work is the "fabric" effect on the flaps and ailerons which is way too over emphasised. A bit of filler and a sand will remove the "relief map of the Himalayas" effect here.

There a few other mildly annoying things too - but all easy to solve.

On the plus side the cockpit is easily the best OOB of any model and fuselage shape seems pretty good too. Theres definitely a Dash 2 in the offing form the parts on the sprue too.

This model will go in an online build on here - so as soon as the pics are taken hopefully you'll see what I mean.

Cheers

Jonners