My first efforts at a resin kit - CMR COD Gannet

I am embarking on an FAA project and am currently building an Admiral Seafire 46 AND a Czech Master resin Gannet COD.

Here are some pictures of the Gannet cockpit. This is the first resin kit I have attempted and please remember that this is 1/72nd at 200%!

For the full story of the build check out http://bit.ly/vUChds and sign up as a follower to see progress on this and my other projects.

IMG_3190.JPG

IMG_3191.JPG

IMG_3192.JPG

and your point is???

It's all looking pretty good to me. I'll be keeping an eye on this one. :popcorn:

I sometimes think that to those who work in 1/48 or 1/32 on seeing a 1/72 cockpit blown up big enough to see thinks - humm - a bit scrappy - but that's the nature of the beast for most of us.

I sometimes think that to those who work in 1/48 or 1/32 on seeing a 1/72 cockpit blown up big enough to see thinks - humm - a bit scrappy - but that's the nature of the beast for most of us.

I have put the two fuselage halves of the Gannet together. Unfortunately, I have got the cockpit sitting a bit wrong so the Navigator's seat is a bit one sided towards starboard. Plus, with the filing I had to do to make it fit, I will need to repaint bits of the cockpit edges again.

As you can see, I had to use some filler on the fuselage. Again, not sure if this is a slight warp in the resin or me. However, it was not a big deal.

I have now to put some weight in the nose. Then I can start to put the details parts for the nose onto the body plus I can fit the blanking plate where the radar dustbin would have been.

I have been looking at the wing fold and managed to persuade myself that I could go ahead with that, and if it didn't work out, come back to the straight wings. However, because of the inaccessibility of the inner parts of the wing surfaces, once the wings are folded, I would have to paint and decal the wing before I attempted to put it together. That rather makes it a big commitment and, as some decalling is required, there would be no coming back without getting a replacement decal sheet. However, at the moment, I am minded to go on with the wing fold. It will make it a much more interesting model.

IMG_3216.JPG

IMG_3217.JPG

IMG_3218.JPG

You can see and read more about my modelling on my blog at :http://www.gsmblog.co.uk

David

SBX

Woo hoo LOVELY work..Brave man... :clap2:

I have spent the afternoon doing some more work on the fuselage. I now have loads of lead shot in the nose and have fitted the cowling around the front. It all needs quite a bit of sanding and filling but it is great fun. Mind you, I am using Gator's Grip to stick all this - it is slow curing but much easier than super glue.

David SBX Models

<h3 class="post-title entry-title"> The Gannet gets its first coat of primer </h3> As CODs were painted in a dark grey blue, I have given the fuselage and the wings a first coat of my favourite primer - Vallejo Polyurethane Black. As usual, this has brought out th areas where the filling might not be as good as it should be.

Some great news though. In looking up the aircraft as supplied in the CMR kit, I find that the COD Gannet that is depicted in the kit was actually flown by my old scouting contact - John Sillett. It seems that he had a panel blow off whilst flying it. This means that, given that the Alley Cat decals have one of his AEW3s on the sheet, I will end up making models of two aircraft that he flew. Not a bad tally given that he is only recorded as flying 5 Gannets in total.

Here are the pics of the current state of play. As you can see, with total disregard to my sanity, I have gone for the wing fold option! IMG_3221.JPGIMG_3222.JPGIMG_3225.JPGIMG_3231.JPGIMG_3230.JPGIMG_3225.JPG

IMG_3225.JPG

IMG_3231.JPG

As you can see, this seam needs a bit more work.

IMG_3230.JPG

These are the rest of the wing fold. As the middle parts will have some decals on, these all have to be painted and decalled before I can put the wing fold together.