Airfix Gnat Artwork

John

Getting closer then! I'll be holding on for the box set of nine that I suspect will invariably appear ;)

Might have to get a couple extra for other schemes in the meantime though.

wow, awesome box, makes me wish it was 1/48 (well we can hope!)

lets hope airfix have gear it up to that scale as well seems logical to do so surely? Airfix has a massive hole in it 1/48 range, and theres anough classics out there to fill it with. Javelin to start please.

Airfix have the best box artwork at the moment and I'm sold!

One thing though, what is their colour call out for the dayglo orange?

Trevor

209 Flourescent Fire Orange, as per the below.

GnatT1.jpg

I assume that is in high speed silver? That's going to give some scope for weathered silver paint finishes.

Am I correct in saying that some aircraft were latterly in Light Aircraft Grey and Dayglo Orange? How about high speed silver with trainer yelow bands?

I assume that is in high speed silver? That's going to give some scope for weathered silver paint finishes.

Am I correct in saying that some aircraft were latterly in Light Aircraft Grey and Dayglo Orange? How about high speed silver with trainer yelow bands?

I think the Gnat missed the trainer yellow bands (although I've seen pictures of a restored one in those colours), dayglo was in vogue by the time the Gnat came along (a quick search on the Air Britain site says silver and dayglo was the original scheme). I'm not sure I've ever seen them in LAG and dayglo (willing to be proved wrong though), but they look quite fetching in the red/white/LAG scheme.

Wez

I'm not sure I've ever seen them in LAG and dayglo (willing to be proved wrong though), but they look quite fetching in the red/white/LAG scheme.

LAG started to replace aluminium towards the end of the 1960s.

Someone at Yeovilton mentioned a new aftermarket sheet being done with options for a variety of scheme.

I'm not sure I've ever seen them in LAG and dayglo (willing to be proved wrong though)

I've just checked some of my old slides. In 1983, there were a dozen or so Gnats at Halton, all in the LAG / Dayglo scheme. However... they were all ground instructional airframes. I should imagine that it was a lower maintenance alternative. Whether any actually flew in that scheme is open to discussion.

I think the Gnat missed the trainer yellow bands (although I've seen pictures of a restored one in those colours), dayglo was in vogue by the time the Gnat came along (a quick search on the Air Britain site says silver and dayglo was the original scheme). I'm not sure I've ever seen them in LAG and dayglo (willing to be proved wrong though), but they look quite fetching in the red/white/LAG scheme.

Wez

SAM Vol 8 No2 has a pic of XM691 in both overall silver and with yellow bands but as this was the first T1 (I think) perhaps this was for trials flights only?

Also profiles and pics of a number of 4FTS aircraft in LAG/ Day-Glo from 1967.

Pat

I've just checked some of my old slides. In 1983, there were a dozen or so Gnats at Halton, all in the LAG / Dayglo scheme. However... they were all ground instructional airframes. I should imagine that it was a lower maintenance alternative. Whether any actually flew in that scheme is open to discussion.

Remember the ex-Red's ones at Cosford that we did our CFST phase on in the early 80's...

Someone at Yeovilton mentioned a new aftermarket sheet being done with options for a variety of scheme.

S&M already do one. Went out of stock at Hannants just as I was about to place my Telford pre-order....!! :rolleyes:

Lovely box 'art', great stuff!

Keef

Probably - most instructional airframes were pulled off the line and given a maintenance serial number...

...like Merv, I remember working on them at Cosford in the early 80's, ex Red Arrows ones were used for taxying and starting practice, I remember working on one in the hangar during the airfields phase but that was in the red/white/LAG scheme - nearly tipped the thing on its bottom!

Dayglo and LAG would look cool too!

S&M already do one. Went out of stock at Hannants just as I was about to place my Telford pre-order....!! :rolleyes:

Lovely box 'art', great stuff!

Keef

Got it, it's a very nice sheet, well printed.

Wez

Edited by Wez

The thing a lot of kit manufacturers need to take note of is the excitement that such a small release can create. Maybe we'll see a few more (new JP3 and 5 please)

Or is it just those of us of a certain age that are wanting a Gnat or three?

The thing a lot of kit manufacturers need to take note of is the excitement that such a small release can create.

Or is it just those of us of a certain age that are wanting a Gnat or three?

I'm afraid the latter is true, but I think we'll easily buy out the first pressing regardless!!

great to see air fix are returning to their former glory, stunning box art and increasing quality of release. Cant wait to get my hands on the Lynx. If only they would do the meteor and harrier family in 48 scale as new tool kits I would be very happy

Bruce