P-47D Thunderboltski

For my second entry in this GB I bought some decals for a Thunderbolt and found out that I'm an idiot cause those were for a Razorback. Silly me. Now I was still saddled with a bubbletop but no proper decals. So I found these:

P1130469.jpg

P1130470.jpg

P1130471.jpg

And I've decided to do the top one. Tail# 227062 and it says: "P-47D-27RE awaits delivery to the USSR, 1944"

P1130480.jpg

Also included in the decals is a sheet of PE for the seatbelts. Quite a nice touch.

P1130472.jpg

I'm not gonna post a boxart shot cause we've seen that about a million times in this GB but here's a shot of the stuff inside. I've liberated a bunch of parts from the sprues during the previous F1 GP but that was after the start of the GB so it's valid.

P1130473.jpg

Here's what I've done so far

P1130477.jpg

P1130478.jpg

P1130479.jpg

Right now I'm joining the two fuselage halves with the pit between em.

P.S.: I found a Tamiya 1:48 Razorback at last week's show to fit my previously acquired decals so I'm now good again :D

Thank you Mish and thank you Peter, different was what I was aiming for and no one had done a Ruski yet so it seemed appropriate :)

Nice choice for a slightly different Jug - nice start too.

• 2 weeks later...

little bit of an update. Since the last pictures I have installed the cockpit, closed up the fuselage, got rid of some unsightly seams (Fit is not perfect with this kit), done some re-scribing on the seams lost to filling and sanding, painted the engine, glued the wings together with the guns inside, put the wings on, filled the gap between wing and fuselage and some other bits and pieces here and there. I even took some pictures but they are still on my camera which for the moment has taken a leave of absence from my being able to find it. Due to work and life the work has been very episodic. I don't really like that, I prefer long stretches where I can fire up some podcasts and listen/build for 4 hours straight. That is not what happened with the progress so far but at least there is some work being done.

Pics to follow soon!

Pics as promised. Marathon session today. Done lots of little things to the P-47 and to a P-38 I've been working on. Also spent 3,5 hours minutely cleaning out my airbrushes. Those things get really gunked up of which I had only some idea. Learnt a lot from my airbrushes which will help me maintain them better in the future.

About the Ruski-bolt

I'm not gonna weather it too much (or at all) since it's supposed to be "Awaiting delivery" to the USSR so I assumed it's new and clean

One wing on

P1130482.jpg

Engine. Not much done to it as it will be mostly hidden behind the cowling and the prop. Also... I'm lazy :P

P1130484.jpg

Engine on, other wing on. Also packed the proper holes with wet toilet paper.

P1130543.jpg

Cowling. Primed then sprayed white. I opened up the flappy things for the cowling to add some interest to the plane.

P1130544.jpg

Prop. Still need to do the yellow tips.

P1130547.jpg

Cowling with the chequered decals on it. If this is the regular academy quality then I can see where they get their reputation. Each one broke in at least 5 pieces on the backing paper. Still, it worked and though not perfect I'm pretty pleased with the result.

P1130548.jpg

Primed with the cowling masked and in place. The back edge of the cowling needs the grey and olive drab

P1130549.jpg

Good work with the decals, some Academy are good but most are bad.....

These were pretty bad. I've used one on an instrument panel on the P-38 but that was a small one. These were bigger and just terrible but some elbow grease and Micro Sol got them to cooperate :)

Great work on cowling mate and well done for persevering. :speak_cool:

Thank you.

I've now sprayed the whole thing and started decalling. Russian stars are on and am in the process of doing some (English) stencils. I do not know if the Russian Lend-Lease Jugs were adorned in appropriate Cyrillic warnings but the decal sheet does not have them included. Actually no stencils are on the sheet, just some big decals. I don't want my 'bolt to look empty so I'm putting on the English ones. Pics will follow but there is a charming typo in the decals from the Academy sheet: Canopy realese. I've never heard of that :P

• 2 weeks later...

The RusskiBolt is done!

Took a while for me to find my camera but now that that's all figured out.. here are the pics of the process

Here she is after paint. Bottom side is Revell #374 I believe. The Olive Drab is a bit of an approximation because I don't want all my planes that need OD too look the same so it's a bit more Russian than proper US OD. I think it looks absolutely great and completely convincing.

P1130550.jpg

P1130552.jpg

P1130553.jpg

On the bench with undercarriage put in place with which I had a bit of a struggle. One of the legs broke and I couldn't get a replacement one so I had to CA it in place. It's barely noticeable so that's good. I think the Russian stars look really cool on the Jug. I've done only a bit of silvering on the top cause I believe it flew through a hail storm when on it's way to the USSR (a good an excuse as any for trying something and getting away with it... somewhat). Also only a restrained amount of shooting weathering cause it's supposed to be a fairly new plane.

P1130554.jpg

P1130559.jpg

Finally in the sun(ish) and on some not too appropriate background... carpet. The canopy is clear as a friggin' crystal after using some of my Klear-equivalent to remove some of the scratches that I made on it. Wonderful stuff

P1130591.jpg

P1130592.jpg

P1130595.jpg

P1130596.jpg

P1130598.jpg

P1130599.jpg

P1130600.jpg

P1130601.jpg

P1130603.jpg

P1130605.jpg

P1130606.jpg

P1130609.jpg

P1130610.jpg

Enjoy,

Comments welcome!

• 2 weeks later...
Well done mate. :clap2::clap2:

This will be a nice addition to the gallery. :speak_cool:

Deacon

Thank you very much. I'm well pleased with it

That is an unusual paint scheme. I like it very much :)

Thanks. So do I, which is why I chose it. I didn't even know there were Bolts sent to the USSR so when I saw this decal sheet I just had to build it.

Nice work:thumbsup:

Thank you Mish :) And thank you very much for hosting this GB. I had a lot of fun building my two Jugs