Airfix 2012

jaw

Good morning,

I'm not sure if this is the right place for this topic or not, so please forgive me if I have got it wrong!

Anyway, I don't know how many of you look at the Cybermodeller site, but if not it is worth having a look at although it is heavily US weighted. But today there is a report on the iHobby expo with some detail on planned new releases for 2012. For Airfix they show the 1:48 Army Lynx (release in first quarter of 2012) and the Merlin (release in third quarter of 2012) as part of their Afghan war related issues, which we were aware of. But they also say that 2012 will be the year of 1:48 for Airfix. Apart from the Navy and Army Lynx and the Merlin I wonder what else they have in mind? Start drooling at the thought of a Swift FR5, Gannet AEW 3, Javelin.........

I'm going for a rest now!

John

But they also say that 2012 will be the year of 1:48 for Airfix. Apart from the Navy and Army Lynx and the Merlin I wonder what else they have in mind?

Tempest! Three different ones... Typhoon. Hurricane II and IV. Spitfire XIV, FR XIV, XVIII and XIX... P-40B. :bounce:

Hi everyone,what about a nice new series of things with two wings.Wapiti,Gordon,Fairy 111f/d,Siskin,Gamecock,shall i go on or am i alone?There are some nice products out there but prices seem to be rising all the time.Something maybe that has not got all the bells and whistles on it,it may make honest modellers of us all!

The after market chaps could have a field day and we could choose jut how much we can or will pay for the finished product.After maret decal producers might also join the fray.Now while i am in the groove so to speak,how about all those airliners missing for so many years from our benches,1/144 of course ! There are so many aircraft out there begging to be done,ATR,s CRJ,s 748,ATP,717,Embraer,J31/41.Etch brass undercarriage doors etc,and many cross over to the military as well so bonus sales also perhaps.Thanks if you got this far but it has for me seemed like the bleeding obvious for too long.Forty years of modelling tells me that we can cope with products that may not blow your socks off but is accurate honest and affordable. :angrysoapbox.sml:

If they are to concentrate on 1/48 it will bring relief to my wallet, but it is hardly surprising that they would stress that in the US where large scale kits are more popular than here. Presumably they will not be totally avoiding 1/72 - the Swordfish has now slipped to next year and (judging frm what's in the box) there is surely a Spitfire Mk.Vb to come. If nothing else.

mmmm, interesting. Hopefully they will realise that the spitfire/me109 market is fairly well covered now and do something different! 48th defiant..gannet..skyraider anyone?

NOTE...no disrespect to the spitfire and 109 fans here is intended :)

steve

Hardly commercial thinking. As subjects, they sell. The Spitfire Mk.V is expected because a part for it was on the new Mk.II sprue. There is still no good (i.e. accurate) cheap (mass market priced) late-war 109 or Spitfire, so there's an opening among the enthusiast buyers too. And if Airfix really are pushing for the young market then large kits of types they've never heard of just don't fit the pattern, however popular they may be with enthusiasts.

Typhoon? Why? Hasegawa's will be difficult to better apart from the price! Skyraider? Why? They couldn't really beat Tamiya's, except maybe again on price. I hope they'll stick with classic British stuff, preferably starting with the aforementioned Javelin or Swift.....

And if Airfix really are pushing for the young market then large kits of types they've never heard of just don't fit the pattern, however popular they may be with enthusiasts.

What, like the Sea Vixen & Valiant....??!! ;)

Keef

48th Hunter anybody...... Revell have had plenty of time to fill that gap. Having said that a 72nd one to the standard of their Sabre wouldn't go amiss now Revell's one has all but vanished.

Gannet would be popular I suspect.

Stu

If they are to concentrate on 1/48 it will bring relief to my wallet, but it is hardly surprising that they would stress that in the US where large scale kits are more popular than here. Presumably they will not be totally avoiding 1/72 - the Swordfish has now slipped to next year and (judging frm what's in the box) there is surely a Spitfire Mk.Vb to come. If nothing else.

I agree Graham, that's what I thought on first looking in the Mk I/II box. Hopefully a new tool Mk Vb will bring about an easy way to do things like Mk Ib's, Mk IIb's and I'd love to see them do a Mk Va, although I believe a Mk Va is possible with whats in the Mk I/II box, except for the markings.

thanks

Mike

I reckon that apart from the aforementioned choppers, we'll see no more than another 3-4 1:48 kits announced next year. I think they'll continue to build up their core 1:72 range with safe, money-making bets. I'd like to see the Spitfire XII and Seafire XVII scaled down and the rest will be fairly classic subjects too. Maybe a big bomber just to liven things up a bit?

I hope they'll stick with classic British stuff, preferably starting with the aforementioned Javelin or Swift.....

Keef

Javelin YES!!!!! The Hunter's fat knacker cousin NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Decent Billy Bunter in 1/48th? Yes please :pray: Start with an F.4 then give us a T.7!!

Gnat in 1/48th anybody? Given they've already done the research for it.

I'd quite happily forego a Merlin in any scale for a 1/48th Javelin, Hunter, Gnat, Meteor, Vampire, Venom, Jet Provost, DH Hornet...

Wez

I think they'll continue to build up their core 1:72 range with safe, money-making bets.

Let's hope you're right. And yes, a 1/72 Seafire F.17 would be nice. Or a Sea Vixen - after all, they've watched everyone else get 'em wrong in 1/72.

A 1:1 scale Holly Willoughby would be perfect.

Alternatively a 1/48 Javelin and 1/48 Scimitar would be almost as good.

Javelin YES!!!!! The Hunter's fat knacker cousin NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Decent Billy Bunter in 1/48th? Yes please :pray: Start with an F.4 then give us a T.7!!

Gnat in 1/48th anybody? Given they've already done the research for it.

I'd quite happily forego a Merlin in any scale for a 1/48th Javelin, Hunter, Gnat, Meteor, Vampire, Venom, Jet Provost, DH Hornet...

Wez

Apart from you dissing the sublime Swift.... :whistle: .... I couldn't agree more with everything you say!!

Keef