2008 Air Display Calendar

Richard E

OK - not a rant as such

There are five "major" military air displays in the United Kingdom next year: Yeovilton, Waddington, RIAT (Fairford), Culdrose and Leuchars.

Yeovilton - 5 July

Waddington - 5/6 July

Fairford - 12/13 July

Culdrose - 30 July

Leuchars - 13 September

OK - nice to have them in the summer but two on the same weekend and three within seven days of each other ???

First decision of 2008 - Yeovilton or Waddington :hmmm:

Almost as crazy as RIAT and Legends on the same weekend!

I keep meaning to go to Yeovilton, but last year the Indians swung it for Waddo. Unless Waddo pulls out something big again I may take a trip to the West country this year. Thing is with Waddo, at least as far as the flying is concerned you can see nearly all of it elsewhere, e.g. at Biggin and even Kemble nevermind RIAT. It's a nice and well organised show that I've always enjoyed, but it's just too far unless they pull something special out of the bag, and some of the static is a nightmare for photography. That said the arrivals day is great so I'd be very tempted by that again.

Steve.

Yes it's a pain having two on the same weekend, but I guess that everyone wants their show to be in the first 2 or 3 weeks in July for the best shot at good weather. I guess with Yeovilton and Waddington they are far enough apart to not draw each others 'local' crowds, and neither of them would have wanted to go up against RIAT I suppose.

Might get to go to Waddington as I always enjoy the show (apart from this year! :raincloud: ) and I really want to go to Fairford as I missed it this year...

Karl.

The one I go to will be determined by where the Vulcan is :wub:

Well surely Waddo will be on it's list!, and I would imagine RIAT too...

You're right though, that will certainly determine my choices when the time comes. It'll be fantastic to see and hear it in the air again!

Karl.

Decisions decisions. lol. Won't have time for any of them. Will be working hard at other events. First Airshow of the year for me will be Abingdon on the 4th of May.

Abingdon Air & Country Show 2008

Will be working my butt off again this year marshalling.

af05andrew2pu9.jpg

p5040404sb0.jpg

p5040403sv8.jpg

p5040414dn7.jpg

Come and say Hi

I enjoy Waddo butI have to say I prefer The Great Yorkshire Airshow at Elvington. Lots more older and vintage planes there

Doesn't look like it'll be on in 2008, but it'll return in 2009 as a biannual event.

Waddo and Yeovilton also clash with the Belgian Air Force show at Florennes, and the Belgians always seem to attract good foreign participation - great!

That said the arrivals day is great so I'd be very tempted by that again.

I've never seen Waddington's but Yeovilton also has a very good arrivals day.

Yes it's a pain having two on the same weekend, but I guess that everyone wants their show to be in the first 2 or 3 weeks in July for the best shot at good weather. I guess with Yeovilton and Waddington they are far enough apart to not draw each others 'local' crowds, and neither of them would have wanted to go up against RIAT I suppose.

For the last couple of years Waddington has been on the last weekend of June/first weekend of July and Yeovilon has been on the second weekend.

At the moment my heart is saying Waddington as I missed this year's because of the rain but my head is saying Yeovilton. Before having a swift reality check I did have a look and it's a good five hour drive from Yeovilton to Waddo.

Edited by Richard E

anyone know the date of Culdrose's? i want to get some leave booked in early so i dont get dicked to work it.....

d'oh! edit that, ive just opened my eyes and re-read the top post..... :shithappens:

Edited by paul_c